View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Arctic Mama
On a break with Baby #5

S/C/G: 257 /ticker/ 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Haha! I'm sorry, but seriously? Since when did I say others matter less simply because I personally avoid HFCS?

I refuse to demonizes food producers because they are necessary for sustaining the world's population and keep millions from starvation. Cheap and plentiful food benefits most of the world, including the wealthy in first world countries. Love it or hate it, high fructose corn syrup is the response to a market demand. I bear it no ill will, it isn't culpable for metabolic derangement in and of itself and the science doesn't bear this out either (consider the isolated, specific, necessarily limited nature of many of the hypotheses referenced relating to HFCS). Sugar, as a rule, is harmful to the human metabolism in varying doses and durations, vastly differing based on the individual's body. But again, this isn't universal. I'm not of the mind that a bottle of Karo is wicked and a mango is sacred - both give me cravings and mess up my digestion (and the scale! with bloat in the short term and rapid weight gain in the longer scheme). This is where education is key. Not limiting the product, but making data public so consumers can make informed choices, should they have the luxury to care.

Crusading for public health is a slippery slope. It just so happens my ideal diet is the polar opposite of the standard recommendations. I eat butter for health, not whole grains and fresh fruit. Who is right? Who deserves to make policy? My husband can eat corn syrup all day long and is neither fat nor feels ill for it. Which one of us has the 'correct' body with the best diet? I'd argue me, because mine is nutrient dense, but if we're looking at evidences he has never been obese and I have - so his diet, by that litmus, must be superior, right? You have to be careful in this arena - not only do logical fallacies abound, but so do false correlations, selection bias, and plain old limitations on our understanding of what is going on in a system as complex as the human body.

Not everything is a wicked conspiracy. Some things are. But the food producers are operating on both profit and market demand, as well as the subsidy game. Assigning blame shouldn't be simplistic or hasty in something as convoluted as our global food market.

Weight loss since Oct 2008:
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote