Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #1  

Default Artificial Sweetners

For years I have an older friend who has been preaching to me the dangers of aspartame in particular. SOOOOO about 2 weeks ago I went off of it. I was addicted Diet Dr. Pepper, thought I'd have an occasional Diet Pepsi or Coke Zero. I switched and had Pibb (I know has 140 calories, but I was afraid I'd have caffeine withdrawals.) Then I realized that I hadn't had caffeine for a few days - I had started drinking a ginger ale during the day - 100 calories/can. What was strange was that when I quite drinking the Pibb was that I had NO caffeine withdrawal headaches. I am wondering that the major migraines I got before when I quit caffeine were actually aspartame withdrawals....

Anyone else gone off of them? It is harder than you think. I don't reach for my Equal or Sweet and Low either. If I REALLY need something - I use good old (points counted) sugar.

Anyone else had experience quitting them? Interesting to hear how it has affected you.
dreed1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/See Ticker/130

Height: 4"11

I use natural organic liquid stevia. Ever since I been at my moms I have been drinking her diet pop...have to stop that lol. Because yes the aspartame is not good for you and apparently it makes you crave more sweets.

As for your question, can't help you there. I quit pepsi about 6 months ago and didn't have any side effects..And I use to drink 2 cans of it a day for a realllyy long time.
Krissypants29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I use Stevia. If I don't have my coffee in the morning, worst. Headache. Ever. I like Splenda as well but stevia has no points for my big huge thermos of coffee and Splenda does.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #4  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Stevia is a no point alternative? I made a post about sweet tea asking for one, would this work?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #5  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Yes, more or less. I think you have to get up to 5 packets before it's a point. I never use 5 unless I seriously have a thermos!

Truvia is a point every two packets and Spkenda every 3-4

Edit: the brand I use is called Pure Via. I think I get it at Trader Joe's. No carbs no fiber no fat no protein. The Stevia "extract" that I also have has carbs.

Last edited by lazylioness; 09-24-2013 at 08:21 AM.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

I'm not sure about the aspartame withdrawals, but I do know that my mom gets terrible headaches when she withdrawals from caffeine and she doesn't ever use any artificial sweeteners. The last foot surgery she had where she couldn't have anything after midnight and the surgery got put off for a few hours so it ended up being after noon before she got out of there and she had a horrible headache and the doctor told her it was probably caffeine withdrawals.

I guess I'm stubborn, but I still have my diet sodas every day. I have heard all the horror stories about how bad the artificial sweeteners are, but there are poisons even in natural foods that we eat every day and I feel like we would have to eat a really significant amount for it to have any serious effects. That's only my opinion though. I listened to a diet doctor about 5-6 years ago who told me "If it hisses when you open it pretend it's a snake and stay away". Well I quit all carbonated beverages for over a year and it didn't make a bit of difference in how I felt or the weight I lost. I think it might be a trigger for some people and make them crave sweets, but it doesn't seem to be a trigger for me. I use the super potent ez sweetz drops (1 drop = 2 tsp sugar) in my coffee each morning and in my tea. I even cook with it. I have used it in recipes and brought them to work and even the people who say they can't stand artificial sweeteners said it didn't have an aftertaste. It's supposed to be liquid sucralose, some call it liquid splenda. I don't know what it is, but it tastes so much better than any other sweetener I have tried and I have tried a lot of them.

As far as withdrawals - I really don't remember if I had any headaches or anything back when I quit drinking carbonated beverages, but I never quit coffee or tea and back then I think I drank regular soda, not diet. It has been too long ago, so I can't remember for sure.
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #7  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I only have regular sodas when dining out. I'm very proud that I don't drink them daily anymore. As a pp has stated, haven't seen much of a difference with not drinking them, but I miss them.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #8  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

In many people, aspartame and other artificial sweeteners cause blood sugar spikes. These make it harder to lose weight because they set us up for cravings.

In other words, they are the worst thing that dieters especially can consume because they are so counter-productive. They make you want to eat more.

Along with all the other deadly side effects, I avoid these things like the plague.

I use stevia. The NOW liquid and also the powdered forms. If you try stevia, keep in mind that some brands leave a bitter aftertaste. NOW does not.

For a soda type drink, I will mix a bit of stevia and some lemon or ginger juice in with sparkling mineral water. Makes a really nice drink. Safeway sells its own brand of sparkling water (not seltzer or club soda or tonic water... sparkling water): 5-2 litre bottles for $4. For a treat, I will use San Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner. Healthy mineral content.

Last edited by Annik; 09-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote