Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat September 23 - September 29

Happy Fall!!!

DW pointed out some leaves that were turning when we were out walking yesterday - lest I remain in my summer thinking mode forever.

We put on a 'slide show' of our Redwood Tree visit to the west coast last night for our DS and his SO. They were good sports; we thoroughly enjoyed reliving the visit. Maybe I'll start a business selling cardboard cutouts of your friends and relatives so people can have someone to show their vacation pictures to without threatening relationships.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good idea with the cutouts Bill. I'd like one of myself for those events when I'd rather be doing something else.

Summer is most definitely over up here - for now. I tested my new L.L. Bean jacket out both on the weekend (for rain) and will wear it today for "crisp" fall weather without the down liner.

DH waited all day at the new house for delivery of the hardwood flooring. It was scheduled to arrive between 10 a.m. -noon. He kept calling the retailers and they assured him it would be "just another hour". Meanwhile they had sent the poor driver (sub-contracted) to Maple, ON as there is a Crescent out there with the same name as our Avenue. Or maybe it was because he was carrying maple flooring?

The stuff finally arrived at 6 p.m. DH and I then found out that we had to unload it from the skid and carry it inside. The retailers had gone home @ 4 and we couldn't fault the poor driver.

So we lugged boxes of hardwood in the pouring rain. 840 sq. ft. is a lot! Then yesterday we had to take half of it upstairs.

I'm so glad I work out.

Good Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Morning everyone! Another crazy busy week at work awaits. Deadline is in two weeks.

Megan, how is your furbaby doing with the antibiotics? Better I hope?

Life is a rollercoaster with babies. We vascillate between them being absolutely adorable and charming and then screaming their heads off and refusing to nurse (they take a bottle fine). It's very frustrating to have them do so well at some feedings and so poorly at others, and I feel bad when we all have a meltdown and I yell at them even though I know 1) they're not doing it on purpose and 2) they don't understand what I'm saying anyway. But this morning went very well, so I'm hopeful that I'm finding a formula for what works.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

It's another rainy day here and I'm excited for day 2 of my black bean soup lunch. My cast had our first night of blocking last night (that is, walking around our laid out "stage" area while we say the lines, figuring out where people need to move so it looks good and they're not standing in front of each other, etc.). It went really well but I think I need a little board with markers for each character when I go through it with just a script at home. There are many points when all 10 characters are on stage together. That's a lot of people on stage! I have extra hours from the end of last week so I think I'll leave early so I can work out, then head home to work on more blocking. If the rain lets up there will be a dog walk in there. Right now it's not promising.

Jessica, I guess Emma is doing better, thanks for asking. She wasn't showing many symptoms before, but she hasn't peed in the house again. I think she's getting used to my forcing the antibiotic down her throat (you have to do the pry jaws open and throw pill down the hatch, hold mouth shut, force swallow by stroking throat method with her) since she gets a treat after. She is not fond of my baby wiping her nether regions.

Aww, Jessica, I know you & DH are doing the best you can! Life will be chaotic with two babies, no matter what you do. I don't have kids but I'm pretty certain of that. My sis tells me there is a steep learning curve for parenting. How does Carter like his new siblings?

Dagmar, carrying all that hardwood sounds like an excellent "functional fitness" workout. I'm sure once the flooring is down that will make you appreciate it all the more.

Bill, got any good redwood pics to share with us? I miss fall colors. Inhale that fall smell for me, would you? You know the one I mean. When the evening is a little cool and the sun is setting and the dew is making the earth and the changing leaves smell... fall-y.

Have a good Monday all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Megan~can't you get some pill pockets for Emma? Pill Pockets. They work great. Otherwise, try hiding it in some cheese.

Still feeling a little down emotionally since we took DS to get settled in his dorm. Watching last night's Emmy Awards allowed me to do some crying that I didn't have to blame on that. There were some real surprises last night.

Dagmar~I'm still getting used to the delivery schedule here in our new building. I was so used to Fed Ex showing up around noon and here we might not see him until 3 or 4 PM. Our vendors are pretty much the same as they were but one in particular is infuriatingly late every day he is scheduled to come here. When we say our delivery hours are 7 AM to 3 PM why do they insist on arriving at 5 PM?

Jessica~babies can be crazy at times! I remember DS deciding each and every night that 9 or 10 PM was AWAKE! time. Oh, how I wished I were in bed instead of trying to calm him. He was a bit colicky and often did projectile vomiting at this time of night. I'm certainly glad it didn't last long.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- there's just about nothing as frustrating as waiting on contractors/repairmen.

We got our quotes from our tree guys last week. The bulk of the job needs to wait until the dead of winter thank goodness as the quotes floored me. We may do part of it sooner but I'd rather wait if possible.

Jessica-- I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I can remember with my first dd--we had a wedding to go to when she was 10 days old. We spent the whole day trying to get ready. Feeding, changing, trying to get ourselves ready, trying to pack everything to bring her (she came to the wedding)-- I was post C-section so still sore-- it was almost comical but not quite.

My weight is up over the weekend. Sigh. When dh is home it is always a struggle for me. Either we go out more (Friday and Saturday night both) or he cooks delicious meals (last night). I'm so far past my redline I don't know what to call it. I thought I'd had the s**t scared out of me with my weight but I guess not yet. Feeling very poochy at work today.

Plus I ran on Friday and my knee has hurt since and is swollen. Bugger!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Megan~can't you get some pill pockets for Emma? Pill Pockets. They work great. Otherwise, try hiding it in some cheese.
Nope. Emma east whatever chicken/cheese/pill pocket vessel the pill is being delivered in, then spits the pill out. If only it were so easy.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Nope. Emma east whatever chicken/cheese/pill pocket vessel the pill is being delivered in, then spits the pill out. If only it were so easy.
Hot dogs work pretty well. stuff that pill way down inside,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bill, I have been waiting for a West Coast Travelogue....waiting patiently.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Bill, I have been waiting for a West Coast Travelogue....waiting patiently.
And pics of the trees and the whales!

Dagmar
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

Jurassic Park - California Redwoods, 2013

Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #12  
Super Moderator

Single Redwood towers over us. California 2013

Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #13  
Super Moderator

Redwoods spaced only a few feet apart. California, 2013

Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

My goodness.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #15  

Totally awesome trees! Awesome being inspiring a reverential wonder. Did you feel like you had to view them in silence Bill?

Dagmar