General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 365/330/120

Height: 5'3"

Question Is my job active/how many calories should I be eating?

Hey everyone. I work at a vet office as a groomer, kennel attendant, and vet assistant. I work full time and every day that I work I spend about 3 hours walking dogs (I walk them from their kennel run to outside, down a small path on a hill, across the length of the parking lot and back). I also do a lot of pulling/heavy lifting with restraining big dogs. I also spend a good bit of the day doing heavy scrubbing/cleaning, and get on my hands and knees a good bit, and I'm usually constantly on my feet.

How active would my job be considered? And how many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

I got this job in hope that it would help me get healthier and slimmer. I am currently 325 lbs and am eating around 1800-1900 calories a day (just total calories consumed, and I have not been adding any exercise to the calorie counter I use). I don't usually exercise on days off since I'm so worn out. I've lost about 15 lbs in the last month since I've started this job.

Thanks for reading/answering
gamergirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It looks like you have an active job and a sensible calorie intake evidenced by a 15 pound loss over the last month. Which is fantastic. That's about the same rate of loss as I started with and kept until I was about 180lbs or so when the losses really started to slow up.

So just keep going and well done! When you feel comfortable, try to do some exercise at the weekends as well. After I lost about 60 pounds I started doing this and never looked back.

If things start to slow up then think about cutting the calories back. But you have time for that. So pace yourself.

So happy for you.

Last edited by IanG; 09-22-2013 at 08:50 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #3  

It is tough to really tell. I have a job that is kind of active but who knows what is actually happening. On those BMR charts I always go with sedentary just to be sure. Have you considered a pedometer? Like fitbit?
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #4  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

I just tell myself that most diets encompass my everyday life, it is what I do intentionally in addition to my everyday life that creates the bigger deficit. Make sense?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

I would suggest maybe getting some sort of activity monitor or a pedometer... maybe something like a FitBit... this way you could see just how many steps you are taking at work, so you could gauge just how active your job is...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

A 15lb loss in a month does not justify a pedometer or a fitbit!

Just keep going...
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote