Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

Height: 5'8

Default Salmon

Do any of you have any healthy recipes with salmon? I absolutely love salmon, but I have only been having it with vegetables and wanted to try something different
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/165/135

Height: 5'5"

Mmm salmon! My partner always makes my favorite recipe, baking salmon in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, honey, and thinly siced red onions. I think when its all wrapped in foil its the most tender and juicy. We serve it over a bed of rice and steamed veggies. Simple yet savory.

You could also try having it with like a mushroom risotto. Or for a lower carb option try cauliflower 'mashed potatoes'. Nom.
alannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I love blackened salmon, it's just herbs and spices. Usually paprika, onion powder, garlic, white/black pepper, cayenne, etc. Usually served with rice or roasted potatoes and veggies of choice.

Another fave of mine is teriyaki- brown sugar or honey with a bit of soy sauce rubbed on both sides. If I have it, some toasted sesame seeds on top too. I have this with "fried" chinese rice and veggies.

Lemon pepper salmon is also good with cilantro lemon-lime rice.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Teriyaki is my favorite, hands down. I make mine like amandie - sweet (honey/agave/pineapple juice/any color sugar), soy/tamari, a teeny bit of heat, ginger, garlic and marinate. Then I grill/bake/sear and top with sesame seeds and sometimes scallions.

Blackened or cajun is a close second, and lemon pepper is right behind them. You can also do equal parts of mustard (spicy brown, whole grain, or dijon) and real maple syrup as a baster.

Last edited by Munchy; 09-19-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Also, when I have extra salmon, I like to flake it, mix in a little low fat mayo and lemon juice or something spicy and eat like tuna salad (alone or in a wrap/sandwich/etc).
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #6  

It is also lovely as the protein in a main dish salad. Greens of choice, green onions, cucumber, tomato, dried cranberry or fresh apple slices and the salmon in your favorite oil & vinegar dressing. Rough crushed roasted almonds or peanuts are nice sprinkled on top. Basically just think of it as you would any protein. In wraps, tossed with sauteed vegetables and a bit of pasta.... I usually buy a skinless wild-caught filet from Trader Joes (frozen) season, bake and use in a variety of these ways all week.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #7  

Hi,
You all are making me hungry.

what does the wild salmon cost at Trader Joe's?

How big a piece do you buy for the whole week?

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I mostly just salt & pepper mine and roast at a high heat until it flakes. The key for me is serving it with this:

Piquant Dill Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 leeks, white part only, finely chopped, then thoroughly washed
1 jalapeno chile, seeds and membranes removed, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 1/2 cups lightly packed fresh dill, stems removed before measuring
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
Melt the butter over medium heat in a saute pan. Add the leek, jalapeno, and garlic and saute until the leeks are translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the stock. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. (Adjust heat as required to maintain simmer.) The liquid should reduce by half. Remove from heat and let cool.

Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth. Reserve and reheat just before serving. Stir in the sour cream at the last minute.

I usually make a big batch of this and leave out the sour cream, freeze it in ice cube trays and then defrost 1 cube per serving when I'm ready to use it and add the sour cream. It's divine!
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Holy cow, Ash. Sounds really yummy!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #10  

Hi,
Do you think it would still be good without the chili? They are hard on me.
SHeridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

It won't have the bite but you can never go wrong with dill and leek with a bit of low fat or fat free sour cream, the flavour would still be there!
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

up here in alaska, we eat salmon mostly baked until done with various seasonings on top...also mix it with cream cheese for a dip...also mixed into bread crumbs etc for salmon patties...we used to eat salmon patties all winter long up on the homestead dont forget those other alaskan delicacies such as boiled herring eggs, seaweed, octopus and seal oil
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I eat canned alaskan sockeye and chinook salmon. I throw it on an amazing salad and job done.

Salmon is awesome.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

My last night in Hawaii, my friend made me a fantastic salmon dinner. She broiled the salmon with salt, pepper and olive oil. She topped it with grape tomatoes she roasted with salt, pepper, olive oil and smashed garlic, and put it all over a bed of raw baby kale. A little lemon on top and I was a happy girl!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I love this recipe for salmon cakes: Ellie Krieger Salmon Cakes

I use fresh salmon rather than the canned, and poach it. What I really like about this recipe: before you pan-fry the patties, you can freeze them up to a month. Also, if I have any leftovers, they are great the next day on a salad.

This is another fave: Soy-glazed salmon

And lastly, super easy but lovely enough for a dinner party: Salmon with Lemon Relish and Spinach
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote