Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 04:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Size? Height? Weight?

As I read through other messages, I notice the sizes people are wearing and their current weights. I am 5'4". At my highest weight 194, I wore a size 18 jeans. Now 30lbs down, my 16s are loose, but 14s are still a bit tight. I see in some posts people in 16s at 200lbs. And some at my current weight in 9/10s? Do I just have the widest hips on earth or what??? I may get down to 120lbs and wear a 14??? So, my question is how tall are you, what is your current size and weight???

Barb
Old 11-07-2003, 08:17 AM   #2  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Good Morning!
Because my belly is where I hold my weight I always am in bigger sizes than others my same height and weight. For example, a woman at work weighs the same as me and she is in an 18 while I am just getting into a 22. But I have yards of fabric in my pant legs just hanging - BECAUSE I need the waistline to button! She on the other hand carries her weight in her thighs and calves and her torso is actually flat and proportionate. I look like I'm about 7 months pregnant all the time and I hate when people ask me when my due date is.

I have also noticed that a people who workout with weights always are in the smaller sizes because that ratio of a lb of muscle is lean while a lb of fat is fluffy and takes up more room. My cousin goes to Curves and she has lost many inches but a small amount of lbs - yet she is down 2 sizes.

When I was successful at weight loss in the past - I remember getting down into the 150's and I was still in a 16. But then I really began adding weights to my aerobic training and I lost 10 stubborn lbs. (in about 6 months) BUT I dropped into a size 9/10 with just that 10 lb loss.

The key is to make our bodies lean to someday wear that size 8!!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:37 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I know what you mean, When I weighed 160 lbs (only 10 lbs from my goal weight) I wore a size 14 and thats because of my big belly. I doubt I'll ever see a 12 and thats where I would like to be, well actually I'll settle for a 14

From 170 lbs to 210 lbs I wear a size 16, I am now in a size 18 and I am more than 210 lbs. I am 5'10" tall.

Its just different body shapes thats all.

Last edited by Leens; 11-07-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I am 5'3" and currently weigh 186 (from high of over 220). I was starting to wear very large sizes (like 20-22). I too am disproportionate, my legs/hips actually not too big, but have a tummy and large waistline - so if pants fit waist they are hanging on my bum and thighs. VERY DIFFICULT to find pants that look good, and I try to find petite cuts so the crotch part does not hang down to my knees.

I just fit into a 14 petite pair of black pants the other day..but they are cotton spandex so have some stretch and a comfort waistband (elastic on the inside/cotton on the outside) and this makes it go around my thick waist.

I am larger on top and well endowed so I have trouble with buttons unless large size...currently sticking to t's and mock necks and sweaters. But I have noticed sweaters now too baggy (gave them away)...and some of my silk shirts may soon fit (they are size 18 or XL). I have bought some new t's in size L - they fit but are very tight so I will wait til they fit properly.

I can't imagine wearing a 12 or 10? Will that every happen when I reach my goal of 145?

Froufy
Old 11-07-2003, 10:25 AM   #5  
Movin' and Losin'

Thanks for bringing this up, Barb! I was very curious about it, too. Currently, I'm at about 185 and I'm 5'10", and I wear a size 16. I'm trying to squeeze into a size 14, and I can get into them, but they aren't pretty... At my lowest weight, 155, I wore a size 10. I'm hoping this time to possibly get into a size 8. I need to start weight training!! My weight is spread fairly evenly over my body -- maybe a little more concentrated in my hips/thighs/butt. My main trouble is finding pants that are long enough!

Jina
Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 AM   #6  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi ladies...
Even though I know I sound like a fool for gaining all my weight back, YOU ALL CAN be in a size 8 someday! No matter if you EVER were a size 8 on the way up the charts. I really want to encourage everyone to add those weights a few days a week. There is another thread here called "Women and Men who Lift" - or something like that. Check out Meg! She is amazing!!!!

In junior high I went from girls size 14 right up to a size 10 in juniors. But in '92 when I lost my weight, I was amazed to see just how small my frame really is under all this cushiony stuff. I REALLY needed to work on my abdomen - which I need to do again - but Jane Fonda's Lower Body workout did WONDERS for me. Oh I LOVED wearing a size 8 the summer of '92.

- THAT fall (1992) dh and I went to Niagara Falls to celebrate our 5th anniversary and I fell - ruining my right ankle! That was the beginning of my downfall. I could not even stand on my ankle for weeks - and therefore had to give up my nightly 2 hours of exercise (7 days a week). That took a huge emotional toll on me and the weight just started creeping back.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:03 AM   #7  
Head Princess

Ok, I'll answer this, but I don't want any flack from anyone! Especially after my hate mail yesterday.

I'm 5'3" and am currently in between a 9 and a 7. The nines tend to be a bit loose and the sevens are tight. I'm very aware that it's unusual for someone my height and weight to wear those sizes. I attribute it to bone density - I have medium/large bones and they are very dense. If I were nothing but a skeleton, I'd still weigh more. I personally avoid weight lifting. I tend to look a little bulky anyway and I don't want to increase that. I practice pilates instead, which is doing great things for giving my longer, leaner looking muscles.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:39 PM   #8  
reaching my goals

I'm 5'7" and currently weigh 172. My 16s are loose but 14 in pants are a little fitted. They zip easily but panty lines are very visible. Gotta lose more weight and pull out the thongs. At high of 205 I was wearing some 16W that were generously cut but mostly 18, 18W and 1X. My bones are not very dense so I know I'm just fat.

I got down to a 9/10 my senior year and weighed 136. Walking was my only exercise. In 1995 I got down to a 10 but weighed 145. I was pretty muscular this go around as I worked in building material/millwork dept at Lowe's home center. I had to do everything I asked the men to do, including lifting sheetrock, concrete, lumber, doors and the like on a daily basis.

I thought I had big bones until I reached the size 10. That revealed that I was smalled boned. When I do the fingers around smallest part of wrist test, I'm small/medium boned.

I would love to be smaller than a 10.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #9  
Head Princess

Supersized, tell me about the wrist test. I did one that had me measure my wrist and then told me what my bone size was based on my height and that measurement. Maybe it was wrong?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #10  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default Sizes.... it's all relative....

I am 5'3" tall. When I weighed 160 pounds I was between a size 10 and 12. I was in good physical shape and exercised, though not any resistance training.

Now that I am more than 100 pounds heavier I sort of stop and say "just HOW did this happen?" as I put on my size 2x pants and 3x tops (also a little too well-endowed).

I'm looking forward to wearing size 12 again and have a goal of a size 10. Although after being pregnant, I AM a different shape than I used to be and carry a LOT more of my weight in my tummy area. It's like I got all stretched out and then had trouble stretching back in.

Oh, and the reason I was having surgery also hinders me from wearing smaller pants. That lump in my abdomen really sticks out from time to time. Stupid thing....

I need to exercise or it will never come off....

Last edited by StorybookMama; 11-07-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:57 PM   #11  

5'4" current weight 143 I wear about a 8 or 10 pant (depends on brand) I have big arms and boobs though so large top 11-13, unless it's stretch I can get away with a 9-10. Seven years ago was a size 2 weighed 113 , but everyone said I was way too skinny, to me it was cool cause after 3 kids I finally had a flat tummy. I certainly don't think I'll ever be that small again. I think the loss then was severe stress and then a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. I'm shooting for 130 pounds and a size 6.Gotta be realistic I'm certainly not shooting for hollywood skinny.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #12  

5'5 and weigh 166 currently. I am still in 14's but they are starting to get a little loose. I still can't get into a 12

I tend to have a stomach also and I know that is what keeps me from getting into smaller sizes. At my lowest I will only get into a size 10.

I know part of my issue is genetics because my brothers are all very big.....tall and big boned I mean..........only one is heavy....extremely. I wish he would lose the weight for his health. I worry about him.
My point is that I will never be a stick figure...not with my family genes!

So I will have to be content just looking trimmer. That is my real goal, not the number.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:12 PM   #13  
reaching my goals

SP, circle your thumb and middle finger around the smallest part of wrist of other hand. If the thumb and middle finger don't meet, you are big boned. If they just meet, you are medium boned. If they overlap, you are small boned. Mine barely starts to overlap. I'll try to find where I got the info on the web.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:23 PM   #14  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

What if they can wrap around twice??? Does than mean you are waif like OR that you have grotesquely long Guniness book fingers? ;-)

OK - I'm medium by that test....but when I was thin I HAD to buy petites because of my narrow shoulders hiding beneath 100 lbs of flesh!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:35 PM   #15  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Im 5'4" and currently weigh 175. I could get into a size 12 but I am waiting. My 14's are very loose! I am now starting to wear L tops, as even being well endowed (40 D) the XL are too big!

at my highest weight, I was 225, and wore 18s and 1X. When in Highschool and 160, I could wear 10s!

I am hoping for 125-130 and a size 6-8!! Petite! I do have small bones... which is very strange for my family of tall big boned Italians.. but then again.. I am the shortest in my family by 6 inches to the next person.. AND have fair skin and blue eyes... everyone else is olive and brown eyed. We have NO Idea where I come from! LOL!
Closed Thread