Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Question How to handle a bad carb day??

I messed up.

My family has been asking for my macaroni and cheese. After months of successfully being on a low-carb diet, I thought I could handle it, so last night I made the mac and cheese for them. I did not plan on eating any but while the family was eating thought, "I can handle a little of this." so I measured and ate half a cup and started on the slippery slide. Then came, "I can handle a little more." I measured and ate one fourth a cup more.

Then while cleaning up, I grabbed and ate 2 rolls. Did it without even thinking! And did not log it. Gave myself an inch and I took a mile.

This morning, my weight was up 2 pounds. I did not eat enough calories to gain 2 pounds and I suspect that I have fluid weight due to the carbs.

First thing this morning I logged the addition food from last night. I had approximately 140 net carbs yesterday while I have been eating between 20 and 20 net carbs a day.

Now, what should I do? When I was calorie counting, if I went over my calorie allotment for the day, I would lower my calories for the next 6 days and try to make my calorie average for the week come to my normal total. Should I do that with carbs or just go back to my normal carb amount?

I am very irritated with myself!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I think you can go back to your normal carb count though you may feel yucky for a couple of days. I wouldn't go lower than 20 net carbs.

I had wine last night so I feel your pain. 1 glass turned in to 3. I feel ok today so far thought but feel a bit guilty for drinking it.
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Sometimes there are things that my daughter wants to eat that are very difficult for me to resist. I chew gum. I chew gum until the food is cooked, served, and put away. That way there is no "just one bite" of anything.

Macaroni and cheese + mint gum = gross

Another option is to try to quell that kind of craving in a way that works for you so that you don't feel deprived and have such a temptation. Instead of mixing your cheese sauce with macaroni, make it with chopped cauliflower pieces. You can even bake it just like a baked macaroni or eat it "stovetop."
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

Thank you, Dragonfly33 and Munchy

So far no bad results today except that weight gain which I hope will be gone in a day or two. I have planned a 20 net gram diet today.

Munchy, I was thinking that my family would just have to do without mac and cheese but your cauliflower idea sounds good! I could make the same sauce and have 2 dishes, one for them with the pasta and one for me with the cauliflower. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Munchy, I was thinking that my family would just have to do without mac and cheese but your cauliflower idea sounds good! I could make the same sauce and have 2 dishes, one for them with the pasta and one for me with the cauliflower. Thanks!
You can try very finely chopping cauliflower and mixing half of that and half pasta for your family. I always do that with anything I make so we get a little more nutrition. Most people can't tell the difference, I swear.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Time2lose, just get back on plan. You don't have to do anything else. I have a planned cheat day every week and while I always gain a lb or 2 of water weight because of it, it comes back off after a day or two and then I keep losing. It's nothing to stress out about.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

Thanks all,
My weight was down a pound today so the water weight is coming off.