Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Question First 5k questions

Hi everyone! I'm running my first 5k Sunday morning (10am) and I have two questions I would love your input on.

The first is how much should I eat before I run and how long before I run should I eat it? I usually run 2-3 hours after lunch so I'm not sure if my usual breakfast is too much/little to run on.

And second I occasionally (like on my run today) get really painful side stitches when I run. Any words of wisdom of how to prevent these or alleviate them while still running? I really don't want to have to stop or walk during my first 5k!

Thanks so much for your advice!
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #2  

I wouldn't experiment with food before running. Eat what you'd usually eat, at the same timing before the run you'd usually eat. This may be inconvenient in terms of waking up and all that.

Check your breathing re side stitches. If you're breathing on the right foot strike, for example, change it to left. Or change to every third strike (in-2-3, out-2-3, etc.)

ISTM that both of these issues usually get worked out in training.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #3  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Well there's the whole "carbo load" theory, so maybe eat something Italian like spaghetti the night before. Then eat your usual breakfast about an hour before your run. As for stitches, they say to inhale through your nose then breathe out when the foot that the side of your stitch is on hits the ground. So if it's the right side exhale when your right foot hits the ground. I'm pretty sure stitches occur when you're not getting enough oxygen, so breathe!!

Good luck, HAVE FUN!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

How'd it go!!!???
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote