Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #16  

Good morning girls. Didn't dip below about 75 last night so I imagine it is going to be hot real fast again.

I am fixing crockpot chicken and gravy for dinner tonight. It is so easy and tastes great. Jack is having mashed potatoes, me probably frozen veggies.

Well, we shall see what happens. I went and got the prescription filled last night and took a dose last night and one this morning. She wrote it for double the mg for each dosage so don't know what that will do. If it causes me trouble, I will back off to just once a day until I get back from the cruise. Funny, but my biggest concern is weight gain. I have been working hard to get it off and don't want to go backwards, but it will be an issue as it was before.

Jean: That will make a stamp 50 cents! It is ridiculous. They are losing money because they pay the postal workers way too much, their benefits are better than anyone elses and the service is lousy so people take their packages and such elsewhere. They been talking about 5 day service and whacking off Saturday, but they can't seem to do it right the other 5 days and until they do, they will continue to lose money. Also, people don't have to mail letters because of the internet and can now pay most of their bills online too. I only send out one bill by mail anymore and that is because their screw ups make me doubt them using my bank card so I send a check and even now send it certified to prove they got it. I told Jack I need stamps as I want to get post cards on the cruise and send them. Wonder who was fooling with your computer????

Hope you all have a great day today. I did several downstairs cleaning jobs yesterday so don't have a long list to do today, just the bathroom and cleaning the microwave, chest freezer, washer and dryer and the dining table. That all amounts to using anti-bacterial Windex on them and wiping them all down. The half bath is a snap to clean too. Talk at you all later. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #17  

Good afternoon, ladies! 85 degrees and climbing but the sun is shining.

I've been spending most of my time for the past week helping Sandy get moved and unpacked. She had 2 moving vans jammed full, besides what we moved the before they came, and there are still 2-3 pickup trucks of stuff at her old house that we need to move over the weekend. Of course her kid hasn't done anything for more than a hour and its just been her and I. Her ex and her brother who said they would help haven't been seen. Her house is looking good though and we'll have the boxes that are in the garage unpacked by the weekend so we can move the last of the stuff. I've lost 3-1/2 pounds in the past week - toting and lifting! At least a benefit~I was worried because I haven't been to the gym in a week.

Tonight is quilt guild so we will have dinner out and then the meeting. Time for a little fun.

Faye, I'm sorry your problems are back. I hope it doesn't interfer with your fun on the cruise. I'd worry about the gases, but going underground doesn't scare me. The unions have ruined Detroit and other cities. Detroit has 19 different unions for the city workers. I think all city, county, state, and federal employees are paid too much and have too many days off and other benefits. They need to be put in line with the real work force.

Jean, it isn't cost effective to put mail sorting machines in every post office so they have the centers and it doesn't cost more to go to the centers than it would be to have the big mail trucks picking stuff up at every little post office. Even at 48 cents, USPS is a bargain because it would cost more than that if you delivered you inter-city mail yourself.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

UGH it is a day in the 100°s and I don’t like heat like that at all. When we were out and about this afternoon we used the Jeep’s air condition system and I was nice and cool while Will went into Wal*Mart to buy a few items. He bought me some ger-prises of heart shaped stick em notes and some neat paper clips attached to some colorful tags to mark places in my cook books. There is a place you can write on them.

There are some neat storage containers that are rectangle which will fit in my cupboard better than the round kind I have currently holding flour, etc. I will be ordering some of them to make my cupboards more friendly to use. I need one for white flour, Bisquick Light®, and bread flour. I keep my whole wheat flour in the freezer so won’t need one for that for round containers are best in the freezer to let the air flow around them. They also have a neat brown sugar container that keeps it soft ~ I use the Splenda® kind ~ and a powdered sugar keeper that will be handy. I’ll, of course, get one to keep my Splenda® that measures like sugar in so that will make 6 new containers in all that I will be getting.

I showed a .6 loss at WW which certainly surprised me because I have not been a good gal and tracking like I should. Before when I was losing I wrote down everything I put in my mouth and sadly to say I got out of that habit. I know it is what works for me so I am getting back into doing it once again. No more thinking I am eating within the lines and want to get a grip on it before I do start gaining what I worked so hard to lose. I have lost a total now of 90.6 and want to get to the hundred loss mark so had better get a grip and get on with it.

JEAN I will use my 7 ½ inch rolling pin when I roll out things on my kitchen table. It is so much easier to navigate with it than the big one on that small area. Those stainless rolling rods are called “Fat Daddio’s Rolling Rods.” Snappy name which sounds like it came out of the ‘50s don’t ya think. I have no need for the very long version of the three. The two of which I have now will work just fine for me. Sounds like someone has been messing with your computer for things of that sort don’t happen when they are left alone.

DONNA FAYE I certainly hope they can get your female problem resolved once and for all. You are going to be so glad that while on the cruise that you have been such a good organizer. I doubt if while on the cruise you will have forgotten anything you will need. I do hope that Jack does get that promotion.

Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-10-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon! It's a bit cooler today but still humid. It was 98 degrees on the soccer fields yesterday. HOT!!! The kids took several water breaks so the games took longer than usual. I, personally, thought it stupid to have them play when schools dismissed early. It was 90 when we left as the sun was going down. I vacuumed fur and dust bunnies this morning. Sonny has been snooping somewhere, the evidence being cobwebs in his whiskers. This afternoon we went to vote in the school election; Bob went back to work and I went to the dreaded grocery store. Ended up "saving" $.99 a gallon on Bob's next gas purchase.

"Gma" -- I hope the hormones will help you and not make you gain weight. Are you hungrier when on them? I'm still leery of paying bills online. Both of our kids do, and I suppose I will have to someday. I have started the next afghan. So far neither cat has paid any attention to the yarn.

Susan -- I can't believe the stuff Sandy must have when living alone, and then to move it. It's too bad her so-called helpers didn't show. I would think she would want to downsize. Have fun at quilt guild tonight!

Maggie -- Congrats on losing .6#! Any loss is a GREAT loss when one loses their momentum. Get back on the journaling track and you will be fine. I am ready for some cooler weather! I have it ordered but think it got detoured someplace. I saw where CO got some snow.

I need to finish putting groceries away. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening.

Last edited by Jean; 09-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #20  

Good morning gals. It is already mega sticky outside. I went out about half an hour ago to take a soda box to the corner since it is trash day and whooeee!

Talked to Jay this morning and they will be coming down on December 4th until that Sunday. He is not running this year, but we will be there cheering Tom and Thomas on. Thomas is running a half marathon in the St. Jude Marathon this year. We are excited to see them again as it will be 6 months since we have seen them. In between times I have to get the boys socks knitted, buy Jack's Christmas surprise, and go on vacation. We are leaving for vacation on Jack's birthday this year so I have to figure out a little surprise for him for his birthday.

Susan: Wow your friend had a lot of stuff sounds like. I think it is rotten when people say they will help and then don't show up. When we moved across town we moved ourselves completely except the furniture and we had someone just come in and pick it up and deliver it here to the condo. I agree with you about the government employees and it is very hard to fire them too. What gets me is Congress opting out of the Obama mess. They obviously knew it would be awful and it sure is turning out that way. Jack and I talked about it last night and we talked about charity versus being forced to do something. I need to not even talk about it because it makes me so mad.

Jean: This particular medication is used for people on chemo and meds for ovarian and uterine cancers specifically to improve their appetites. It can make you so hungry you feel like you haven't eaten in months. It did that to me yesterday. I went over my pts, but tried at least to eat stuff that wasn't junk. I will just have to be better about fighting it. At least so far the diahrrea hasn't shown up. That's the worse thing for the cruise, especially when you leave the ship for excursions. Hopefully I won't have that this year. I told my son this morning we have been watching two things, gas prices and hurricane info for the trip. So far the gas prices have stayed pretty good and no hurricanes on the gulf and pacific side. They said there is one developing over around Africa so we will have to watch and see.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss. Keep up the good work. Yep, it isn't likely I will forget anything being the list maker that I am. I started the lists 2 months ago and just added to them as I thought of things. Being out in the middle of the ocean you can't just run to Krogers or Walmart if you need something so I have to make sure I take everything for contingency plans. It makes the hygiene bag pretty full but I don't ever have to worry I don't have something if I need it.

Well girls almost 8:30 so better get some breakfast in me and get my chores done. I have a load of laundry in washing and already unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher but need to get cleaning chores done before it gets too hot. Have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #21  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a bright sunny cool morning and not supposed to get any hotter than 80 this afternoon. I have lunch bunch at noon and Bob has a meeting in the same place with lunch included. They have several rooms so probably won't see him. The kitchen is picked up and the dishwasher running; I've done my chores for the day!

"Gma" -- I'm trying and send some cooler weather your way, but Maggie isn't cooperating! December seems like a long way off but it will be here before we know it. I will be glad to see Obama GONE but like Bob says, we could always get someone worse. I think I heard on the news that the hurricanes will fizzle before getting close to the U. S.

I need to figure out what I'm going to wear to lunch. Enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday ~ AKA: Wednesday

It is currently in the high 80°’s today and said not to reach into the 90°’s but we shall see. Usually it gets up there higher than the “talking heads” say it will. We take what we get and live with it for we certainly can’t change it. However, in these hot summer days I do wish I had a back yard swimming pool.

Will is cutting the trim pieces for around the wall ~ guess they are called “mop boards” and it is bothering Ragg Mopp while Beanie is trying to help Will. Ole Ragg gets under my desk and huddles against my feet. Mopp never did like hearing the sounds of things being hammered especially with a nail gun.

My newly acquired printer is still in its box here in my office for I have not installed it yet. I haven’t had anything to print and just haven’t been in the mood to deal with it. I went through my catalogue bin and tossed most of them. There are a few items that I want to order out of like my Chefs® catalogue. They always have something in their catalogue that grabs my attention. Now it is a set of stainless drink straws that I will be ordering soon. The Artisan Table® has a set of measuring spoons that have the “twist & shout pig tail” type handles that match my other pieces of flatware. They also have a cheese slicer and knife that match that I have my eye on. Fun things like that that add to my collection and are useful. There are also come other catalogues I want to order some things for gifts but they are few now. I have a 4 inch deep container that I keep catalogues in and when it starts to overflow it is time to go threw them and toss what I won’t be ordering out of. When I get my “allowance” I will decide what to order.

Will does volunteer work for “first call” which is an organization that helps folks that come through here get back on the road to where they are going. They provide food vouchers and a place to stay and a bus ticket for part of the way they are going. There is a man now that is driving the folks working with this type of folks bonkers. His car broke down so he wanted to sleep outside of the shop that tried to fix it. He refused to go to a motel room (paid for by the first call folks) and so the Police were called to transport him. Between Will and the Police they talked him into going to the motel. Now the guy wants them to step and fetch for him anything his heart desires and that is not how the system works. He was headed to CA and doesn’t have any relatives out there nor does he know anyone there but he is headed there. He has some money in the bank so they are trying to convince him to ship all his belongings by UPS and take the bus to CA and can pick up his stuff when he gets there. They are not going to put him up in a motel here anymore for the program isn’t set up for long term residents. It is just to help those going through the area to get on their way in a comfortable manner. There are other programs to help those who are already residents here. Did I mention that the man stinks to high heaven and Will had to take a shower after being around him.

We just got in from our drive about the country and didn’t see the buffalo because that section of road that runs by their pen was closed due to resurfacing. We got a spattering of rain so while the clouds are taking a breath before they let loose of some more water Will is out mowing our back yard.

JEAN Nope you can't have any of our cooler weather for we are using it up. Feels good doesn't it when you get all your chores done and still have some of the day left to do something you enjoy.

SUSAN I truly didn't ignore you when I posted last for I didn't see your post when I posted mine. My goodness your friend Sandy has the "stuff." It is hard for some folks to get rid of anything when they move though. Not hard for me for I have had so much experience but I don't think we will be moving out of this place for we like living in a friendly little town in the Heartland. We certainly don't ever want to live in CA again and that's for sure. When we moved from SD to MN we had a couple come and load the truck and they were the best packers we ever had. They were a young man and his wife team and knew what they were doing and kept up a good pace and we gave them a nice amount of do-re-me for such a good job.

DONNA FAYE What fun to get Jack a surprise present. I love surprising folks and getting surprises also. I imagine if folks do forget anything for the cruise they can buy it on the ship at vastly inflated prices. But that is the way of it. Plus they do have a doctor on the ship for any medical needs I would imagine. Like a floating city with a helo pad to air lift folks off to the hospital. They have to have everything covered to keep the passengers as safe as possible.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #23  

Good morning ladies. I was up late last night knitting because I couldn't sleep so I slept in this morning for awhile. I am making a belt to go with one of my dresses and it looks pretty darn good. I used leftover stash yarn from the hat I made Jack for Boise State. It is bright bright orange and I had Jack give me the dress to see if it would go and I think it is going to look great. On Saturday while we are out, I am going to get the "d" rings and since I want to make a black one, I will have to get black yarn.

So far I am not having problems with the hormone meds, which is great. I was really leery since they are twice the strength than she had me on, but no nasty symptoms at all and no female stuff either.

Maggie: I am going to buy Jack an Ipad for Christmas. He has wanted one for a long time, but I thought it unnecessary since he has a laptop. I have to decide about shipping though as it will ship either UPS or FEDEX and neither gets here before he gets off work. Hope your printer installs easily.

Jean: I would love some cooler weather for sure, especially at night so I could just turn the ac off completely for a few hours. Looks like I may get my wish by this weekend though.

You all have a good day. I need to get hoppin' with my chores for today. Faye
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Thoughtful Thursday

It is currently 11am and the temp is 69°s with high humidity and a chance of thunder storms with rain. We have gotten quite a bit of nice rain these past days and they say we are in for some more the rest of the week. Will got the back yard mowed right before it started raining which was great for if it had to wait it would be a mess with all the rain to come. Now it looks so nice a green and the dogs frolic on it. Cecil doesn’t mind being out in the rain and comes in and taps me on the leg to be petted and I get a handful of water. He dries off inside then out he goes again. That Beanie is a character ~ when it is just about time for us to get up and we turn over we are face to face with that dog. It makes me laugh. I am so glad he doesn’t pounce on me like he did when he was a puppy. That would startle me and I would jerk and hurt myself. I would much rather have it now that he puts nose to nose.

Will is at the museum and getting his bullet collection set up to take to a talk he is to give soon. He needs to make a case for them that is easy to manage and they don’t get all mixed up but stay put on the display board. He has quite a large collection of them from 1900 and earlier. He will one day donate them to the museum I am sure. Will bought an old timey badge and is having it engraved with the man’s name he represents in the re-enactment plays. As a surprise we are going to get another badge and have it engraved with the man’s name that a college student represents that works part time at the museum. He has no parents and has adopted us and it is fun to give him surprises. I admire him for working so hard and putting himself through college plus he is a real nice young man.

I hear the pitter patter of the rain being blown on my window so it must be coming down again. Cecil will be coming in soon with his wet little body. When it comes in spurts like it has been doing it is best for the crops for the plants drink it up and don’t go swimming. I imagine the Buffalo pond is full to overflowing again. When they wade in the pond it washes away the critters that get on their legs and tummy. They have such short little tails for such a huge animal.

For dinner we are having BBQed hamburgers. Last time we made burgers we BBQed a lot of patties that are now in the freezer and I noticed Will bought some burger buns yesterday. I’ll take that as a hint for he only buys them when he wants a burger. It is almost noon o’clock and I am not yet hungry but will eat a Fiber One™ Lemon Bar for 2P+. They are tasty, filling and good with my coffee. These little bars pack a wallop of 5g of fiber each. I also have a package of the Chocolate Fudge Brownies that are the same 5g of fiber each and only 2P+ each and are so yummy. If you need a larger breakfast eat some fruit and a boiled egg with one and you will have a love pat to your tummy.

DONNA FAYE What a neat thing that you aren't having any problem with your meds. I imagine you could jump and click your heals. Will loves his little I-Pad for he is able to take it with him on his volunteer jobs and access what he needs from his other computers on it. Plus it takes wonderful pictures. He has a desk top computer, a laptop, and an I-Pad. For someone that was resistive to learn the computer he has come leaps and bounds these last few years. He picked my brain for awhile and learned very quickly. I could have an I-Pad but don't have a use for one at the present. Isn't there a place in town that you could by Jack one and not have it shipped so he wouldn't know about it? Wal*Mart will be having a great sale on them soon for the holidays. Plus the teckie shops will be running specials. Or maybe just let him pick out the one he wants for there are different ones out there.

Howdy everyone!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful sunny cool day in my corner of the world. I spent the morning putzing and made a potato salad. It turned out way too much because my potatoes were big; I used three because I didn't think two was enough. It's a good thing we both like it. I should run errands this afternoon but think I will stay home and maybe go tomorrow, when I will need bread and milk for the weekend.

We've had a kitten hanging around for a few days. Sonny really likes her! I was pretty sure it wasn't one of Momma Cat's kittens and Bob began to think that it rode home from the farm under his pickup. He set up the live trap last night, caught the kitten, and took it to the farm. His friend wasn't home so Bob put it where that mother cat and kittens' food/water was in the shed. Rich didn't think it was one of his kittens either, but it now has a new home on the farm!

Maggie -- I have a wicker basket that I use to collect printed material other than magazines. It's full and I need to sort through it and pitch. Most of the items I just don't take time to look at when they come, and I should. We could use some rain so send it on! The area around the tree that is no more, is bare dirt. Boib is hoping that grass will grow there now that the tree is gone. Beth would like your pig tail flatware! Maddy thinks Beth's pigs are a hoot and why in the world would she be so crazy about pigs.

"Gma" -- I didn't sleep very well last night but sure could have used a few extra zzzz's this morning. The knitted belts sound like a cute idea and a good way to use up extra yarn. I'm glad the hormones seem to have settled your system down, and I hope that continues.

I need to get busy and do a few rows on the afghan. I'm thinking I don't much like the colors so can't decide if I should show it to Will before I do any more. He might like it; it's called woodsy but is camouflage in lighter shades. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #26  

Good morning to you all. I am hoping the temps drop today and over the weekend and the overnights get cool too. We really need a lot more rain, but it rains when it rains I guess.

I have the first belt done. I will get "d" rings for them tomorrow and want to get some cotton black yarn while I am at Joanns. We have a bunch of running around to do tomorrow then the commissary is on Sunday.

Jack informed me we are at 30 days today then proceeded to tell me how many hours it is. He has some kind of cruise app that has a countdown on it. He is crazy, crazy!

Maggie: You know, we do have an Apple store here in town. I never thought of that. Guess I should go into the online store and print out the one he wants and the other stuff and just take it there and let them put it together I guess. They may ship to store and I can go pick it up too. I will have to see. Sounds like the dogs enjoy themselves in the rain. Fortune would walk out and turn around and walk right back in when it rained. He had to go to the bathroom really, really bad to stay out when it rained. I sure to miss the little bugger, but it was what had to be done.

Jean: I use canned potatoes in my potato salad. They don't mush up like regular potatoes can do. I used them for augratin and scalloped potatoes too. I hate mushy potatoes and found for some reason even when I cooked them the 20 minutes sure fire method they were mushy. Could have been what kind of potato they were. Jack won't touch potato salad so if I make it, I have to be real hungry for it. My mom was big into cows and I used to do things in cross-stitch with cow themes. I cross-stitched a cute pig thing years ago, but I don't remember exactly what it looked like. My kitchen for now is "I Love Lucy." I have the cutest salt and pepper shakers a friend gave me for my birthday several years ago. One is a couch with a heart pillow that says I love Lucy and the other is a tv set with the show logo on the screen. I also have canisters, a cup hook, and other stuff. I have a bunch of lucy stuff up in the spare bedroom and a couple things in the living room including a tiny metal lunch box that is a music box and has True Friends on it with Lucy and Ethel on the front.

Well, I better go. Hope you all have a great weekend!!! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orangebelt.jpg (28.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg orangebelt2.jpg (34.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by gma22; 09-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #27  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world, sunny and cool. It was 48 degrees when I came downstairs this morning! This morning I sorted through catalogs and magazines, then made a meatloaf for lunch. This afternoon I've done a couple rows on the afghan. Bob likes the color combination so hope that Will does too. He will be sol if he doesn't.

In checking the calendar for next week I am tired already! Sunday is Ian's football game, Monday is my usual money counting duties and my evening card club begins, Tuesday is soccer games, Wednesday bell choir practices start, Thursday is the annual hospital auxiliary meeting and I have to have the gift shop financial statement ready, a coffee date in the afternoon, and a church meeting in the evening. So far Friday has nothing planned.

"Gma" -- I have never used canned potatoes; in fact I will have to look for them just to see what the can looks like. We haven't even made a dent in the potato salad I made yesterday. Whatever was I thinking to use such big potatoes and will know better next time! I didn't realize you had so much Lucy "stuff." I always think of you whenever I see anything pertaining to her. Sioux City has added another station that is advertising reruns of the old fun shows and I Love Lucy is one of them. Of course, we can't get that channel. Thanks for sharing your belt picture! Cute!

I need to wash my meatloaf dishes and see if the mail is here. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #28  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a really cool morning at 48 degrees! The sun is shining but the weather gal said we will have thunder storms this afternoon. We need rain but sure don't want what CO is getting. Bob left early for the lake to meet Jason and take the boat out, then the dock. They can take the dock out without getting in the water which is still over his head at the end. Last year he fell in somehow so hope he remembered to take dry clothes just in case. Bob has someone else take the boat hoist out and park it up on the yard. After I get laundry started I need to pick up a birthday for a 90 year old's birthday open house; he is a good client of Bob's as well as being church friends. We shared many bleacher times with them when our kids and their grandkids were in school.

I need to finish getting dressed, it's a jeans and socks day for sure! Have a super Saturday and enjoy!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #29  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm beginning to hear and echo here! It's a cool 58 degrees, cloudy, and breezy in my neighborhood today. Our "thunderstorm" last night amounted to three drips and a dribble of rain, no thunder. We went to church after missing three Sundays. Another "regular" asked if we should be introduced as visitors, of all the nerve! I've read the papers and am getting ready to head to Sioux Falls for Ian's football game. I have a long sleeved turtleneck and the team t-shirt on, debating about a nylon jacket or a heavier one. I hate being cold! It's windy up there too.

I need to get my socks and tennies on so I'm ready to go when Bob is ready. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing Sunday!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #30  

This thread is closed. Please join us on Steel Magnolias #59.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote