S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

For two: I start with 2T olive oil and add the following spices:

1 bay leaf
partial cardamom pod
1 inch stick cinnamon
5 peppercorns
3 whole cloves

Heat the above spices in the oil until the fragrance releases and they start sizzling.

I add 1/4 cup broth, (chicken or vegetable) and a smallish white or yellow onion chopped fine and saute until the onion is golden.

I stir in 1 T fresh grated ginger root
1 large clove of minced garlic
1 small green chili pepper chopped (can be omitted if spicy isn't your thing)
a pinch of tumeric
1 t coriander powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper (again, this can be omitted)
2 t garam masala
Note: If you don't have the bottom 4 spices, 1 short T of curry powder works instead

Stir spices into the cooking onions adding water to keep moist. It should resemble a watery paste in consistency.

At this point I cut the leftover lamb from the chops in bite size pieces (could be any meat or none at all) add to the pot with 1-1.5 cups of water or broth and add slowest cooking vegetables at that time like carrots and potato cut into bite sized chunks.

On a medium heat, stir and add desired chopped vegetables (peas, cabbage, cooked lentils, summer squash) in progression of their cooking times. Finally add one peeled and chopped tomato (I use a small can of Rotel to save time, lower the water amount a bit and skip the green chili if I'm in a hurry)

Keep adding enough water as you are cooking to keep the curry easy to stir, to allow vegetables to cook without breaking up and to keep from sticking. Add .5 to 1 cup of water as needed, reduce heat to low. Add heaping 2T plain yogurt and stir to break up. Cook on low heat until vegetables are fork tender and sauce has thickened up. Pick out the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cardamom pod and serve over braised cabbage, kale or eat alone with a bit of fresh chopped cilantro.

It sounds harder than it is. Gathering all the spices and prep is the hardest part IMO. I do all my chopping before I start. Using grilled leftover meat (or vegetables) imparts a lovely smoky flavor to the curry. It is rich tasting without a lot of calories and practice makes perfect.

Bon appetit.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Lao-Tzu

Last edited by vintagecat : 09-15-2013 at 03:25 PM.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote