View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Copy and paste your question into google, there's no limit to the answers you will get. I won't go through the medical reasons of why diet soda is bad for you. But I can relay you my own experience with it and quitting it.

I used to drink regular soda, Coke. I drank too much but I liked the fizziness. Then I went out to lunch with a friend and she ordered water and I said why not soda? And her answer kind of stuck with me - she said "I don't like to drink my calories." So it got me thinking and I switched to diet soda thinking that by eliminating the calories I was doing something healthy. What I didn't see coming was an addiction so strong that it made me angry that I had even put myself in that situation.

I decided to quit artificial sweeteners all together on a quest for health. This particular goal had nothing to do with weightloss, just overall nutrition. I eliminated the Equal I used in my coffee, gave up diet soft drinks, and gave up on foods like sugar-free jello. I'm not going to lie, at first it was hard. Drinking bitter coffee was like sipping on battery acid. That disgust towards coffee lasted for about 3months. I'd take a sip and say YUCK. But I kept sipping, determined to bend my tastebuds to my submission. Then one day, it just didn't bother me anymore. It did take a while but I did it and now even the slightest pinch of sugar in my coffee makes my tongue burn. It's remarkable. I still do enjoy a diet pepsi on special occassions like at a party where I'm not drinking alcohol or on a special dinner date.

So if it was so hard why did I push through the anguish and get through it? Because within a few days of quitting a remarkable change happened to me. A headache that I didn't even know I had started to lift. It was like a cobweb that was all over my brain just started to go away. I felt clearer headed, focused, and alert in a way I hadn't felt in years! So although my body was rebelling towards the bitter stuff, my mind was clear and that's the positive change I focused on to get me through the withdrawl.

I did switch to sparkling water and that helped calm my cravings for the fizziness.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 09-15-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote