Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

Default 1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner! Sept 2013

I thought I'd start a new thread as the last was full, and i found it really helpful

I've just completed week 4 and it did not destroy me as I expected. Onward to week 5........
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

Height: 5'4"

well if nobody else will, I'll jump in here. I just completed week 2 and I'm actually really excited for week 3. not since junior high have i jogged for 3 consecutive minutes.

crazycatwoman
I'm terrified of week 5 (8 minute jog).I'm sure at the end of it though it will be very rewarding. good luck and congrads on your progress so far! also do you do it 3 times a week or do you do it more?
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #3  

Thanks for joining me jackiedavis87!

I've not run since I was a child, and can never remember running for more than a minute at a time so this is totally alien to me. In some ways I feel I am cheating on a treadmill, but given time I will brave the great outdoors!

I do the intervals at least 3 times a week, and repeat them as necessary. Today I did week 5 day 1 and felt great (3 x 5min jogs). My pace is really slow but for the first time I was able to hold my head up and not look at my feet, and try to focus on something other than mentally counting down the clock. I use the podrunner stuff I download and think the mixes are brilliant. I will probably do day 1 a couple of times before the dreaded 8 minute 'run'. I really want to just get on with and not worry about the clock! Not easy though. I love the idea of just being able to run at a steady pace and keep going and going - mainly because I've never been able to do it.

Good luck. if I managed it, I am pretty sure anyone can Keep us posted.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #4  

I did it almost to the end a year ago, but then weather got in the way. I'm now restarting (nearing the end of week 2), but my schedule means it will take me longer than a week to get through the 3 runs. So I'll be hopelessly out of sync, but, hi, I'm here.
broccolikatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

I'd like to join in as well.

I'm starting tomorrow and I'm super nervous about it because while I've jogged at home and walked in public, I haven't jogged in public much (I go to a nearby park, not a gym). Basically I'd like to have a place to post about my progress because I haven't really told my friends and family about it, and I need to hold myself accountable somewhere
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #6  

Welcome broccolikatie and ILoveVegetables. We can do this! In whatever time, speed, shape or form we can leave that couch!!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271.4/271.4/165

Height: 5ft 7in

I am going to jump in on this post too!!! Today I started C25K Week 3 Day 1 again... I had made it to Week 7 Day 1 and I had to sit out for awhile on an ankle to heal and then I started back to C25K and then got sick. So I decided to work my way back through the program starting at Week 3 Day 1. I enjoy the program...I don't follow it like most do. I jog everyday and When I get to week 4 I tend to do week 3 days that I am not doing week 4 days, I discovered it was easier for me to do the program i jogged everyday! We can do this!
carebearcm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #8  

Welcome carebearcm89. That's a great idea about interspersing week 3 days - I might try that.

This morning I did wk 5 day 1 again - I just couldn't face the 8minutes! Also I did a long walk yesterday on asphalt and my hips still don't like that much. It'll be ages before I can run on anything other than the treadmill. But I'll get there.....
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271.4/271.4/165

Height: 5ft 7in

Today I did Week 3 Day 2, it was difficult because my allergies were acting up and making it difficult for me to breathe through my nose, resulting in me breathing through my mouth and sounding like a over weight hog trying to catch it's breath and run. I made it and didn't stop, hopefully tomorrow will be better. Also lately I have just seemed to be so tired which might of affected how I did. (No clue what is going on with me.) Have a great day everyone!
carebearcm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #10  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

So, I've started C25K for the third time last week -- I keep getting up to week 4.5, and then losing it for whatever reason! I'm trying it on the treadmill this go around, which seems to be working a little better (and is giving me some direction at the gym).

I do have a goal of "running" our town's Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5K. I've done it the past few years, but I haven't been running it! This year, I hope to change that. I know that I need to intersperse my gym workouts with workouts on the actual course, which includes hills and stuff that don't figure into my treadmill!

Good luck to all of us!
staja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

wow I"m gone for one day and miss almost a page of post lol.

ilovevegtables- welcome! and be proud, you're taking a step towards better while there are still so many people on the couch and i don't see how anybody has any right to say anything about it

broccolikatie- welcome also. congrats on almost completing it last year, I've been getting terrified of week 7,8,9 lol

carebearcm89- hi! I'm glad somebody is on the same week with me so i won't have to totally struggle alone hahaha.

staja- hi! I don't know what treadmill you're using but some will let you hook up your phone and run an actual course through Google. I an also trying to find a 5k to sign up for in December for my bday!

crazycatlady- i hear ya, i also plan on doing day one over when i get to week 5, but you will do that 8 min run eventually and when you do it's going to feel amazing, just remember that.

I actually do the program 6 days a week 3 to do it and 3 to better my distance. and i do 3 days on a treadmill and 3 on the road. i would do all 6 on the road just because it is harder but i can't because of the way my work hours are. my goal is to eventually work my way up to a half marathon, which will be a long time from now. but as it turns out i love running, and if you knew me you would know how hilarious that is. anywho today is day 2 on the road
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #12  

Yeah, I'm taking my time this year because I'm interspersing walk/run things using the Zombies Run app. I tried their 5K version last year, but the problem with it is that it doesn't push you as much as the C25K app (there's a lot of "run as much as you can" and "walk if you feel like you need it"). As a change from C25K, though, it's really fun.
broccolikatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/235/145

Oh wow, I'm glad I found this thread! A few weeks back I started C25k and finished about a week, but fell off the program. I've been sitting on my a$$ today thinking about doing it, came here for at least a little kick in said a$$ to get UP, and I saw this!

So, starting over. Day one for me. Wish me luck!
SkinnyBee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/235/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolikatie View Post
Zombies Run app
What is this fun sounding thing!? I'm gonna check that out, too.
SkinnyBee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #15  

Yay - I did week 5 day 2! And the 8 minutes was okay. The first one was easier than the second, admittedly, but both were accomplished and I am still alive. Thank goodness for music to help.

Now folks, any tips as to how to cope with week 5 day 3: 20mins is kind of scary. I know that I can repeat some stages, or do an intermediate time, but I want to have a crack at this.........

And if I can do it, it has to be proof anyone can

Keep on running folks.