Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #1  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Default Maintainers Getting 5-10 to "Fall" Off!

Here's the latest installment for Maintainers* working their way back down from "yo-yo-ing on a bit too long of a string", as we say, or maybe just want a little extra discussion centered around getting the scales to budge downward as opposed to staying put. Join us!

*Veteran Maintainers, Wanna-be Maintainers, soon-to-be Maintainers, or anybody who's held off an unwanted pound for a day or more.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 09-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #2  
Workin' It

New thread! Woo!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thanks, Becky!

So while the first two days of the week saw a fall for me, yesterday was not the same. I had a rather high caloric and unnecessary snack while waiting for the appliance repairman and that shot me over my daily goal. That and two heavier than normal meals. And I also lost all motivation to get my workout done even though I had three hours in which to do it. I'm not back where I started but I still feel a little defeated.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Becky.

I'd like to lose at least 5lbs. 10lbs would be twice as nice. And I think 15lbs would be fantastic.

My plan is firstly to carry on trying to get my body working properly for exercise. I'll be posting in the exercise thread every day. I am now describing myself as an athlete (saw another thread about this) which gets me in the right frame of mind etc ...
... secondly, to plan my eating rather more carefully than I've managed recently.
Thirdly, I'll be battering on with only eating when sitting down and not whilst wandering angrily across the kitchen.

Thanks in advance for your support. The understanding and positive kind of support works best for me. I'm ready to support you too!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Off to the kitchen now where washing-up awaits and making the tea. Danger time. Second day of beef casserole nicoise with, I think, pasta tonight. Greens too, of course.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Heading into my first holiday season at maintenance. I am wondering if I should try and lose a couple of pounds to give my self a buffer, or is that a bad idea? ( wonder if it will give me cause to over eat when I would not normally.)
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalksalot View Post
Heading into my first holiday season at maintenance. I am wondering if I should try and lose a couple of pounds to give my self a buffer, or is that a bad idea? ( wonder if it will give me cause to over eat when I would not normally.)
I always think a buffer is good and I used to have one but I'm now 5-10 over where I like to be so I'm working my way back down.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #8  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Saef: your quote in the old thread really made me think. The idea that I do NOT have the right to expect that my body (and my metabolism) can be manipulated somewhat wantonly to fit random aesthetic parameters...hmm.

I need to start shopping for a wedding dress soon, and there seems to be a universal expectation that I will diet to do so. Both of the stores that I called mentioned this - one said "try to lose all the weight that you are going to lose by 6 months prior to the wedding date, although it's OK to lose another 5-10 after that". As you ladies know, even hearing something relatively innocuous like that can cause instant anxiety.

My good friend that just got married lost about 15 pounds, gradually, in preparation. I admit that I was already having vague thoughts about pre-wedding weight loss. But the idea of carefully planning and sticking to another loss program, when I struggle as it is with maintenance, makes me feel both tired and scared. I would like to say that I am happy with my body and have no desire to lose more weight - but it's a lie. Especially when it comes to the one day of my life when I won't be able to avoid having my picture taken (a lot).

Which brings me back to that quote. I know that I can lose some real weight short-term, that's the easier part - but can I keep it off? Do I even want to try? Or, is now the time to put my money where my mouth is (literally - these dresses are expensive) and prove that I love my body how it is currently, regardless of size or imperfections?
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #9  
Workin' It

Oh JayZee, shopping for wedding dresses is a nightmare to the weight crazy, I swear. When I was married the first time I had the big fancy dress - I remember the woman telling me I got one alteration for free, and to wait to get it done until about eight weeks out from the wedding as it could take 2-4 weeks to complete. As she told me this she says 'and then just try not to be a binger or a purger in that last month, or it will cost you'. Woo boy did that make my head just about pop right off.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

To read more about what Leigh Peele has to say, click here.

This has been my experience, and I know I'm not alone.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
To read more about what Leigh Peele has to say, click here.

This has been my experience, and I know I'm not alone.

Jay
I skimmed through this article and will reread it later, I find it pertains to me in many ways due to my present health conditions.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Re the wedding dresses - IMHO your fiancee is marrying you because you are you, not because you will temporarily lose 10 lbs. to fit into a big white fluffy dress for a day. Look at your wedding as a public celebration of your love for each other, not as the day you are at your thinnest to look good in the pics. Hopefully there will be many more occasions with pictures and you should be yourself in all of them. Fat, thin, in-between. Weddings are hard enough without everyone pressuring the bride to lose weight.

They don't do that for the groom, do they? "You have to lose 15 lbs. before we'll rent you a tux"

(I'm sprinting from the room as a barrage of rotten turnips is loosed at me!)

Shannon The woman who sold you your first wedding dress should be beaten with a big, big stick.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My Mom made my wedding "dress" so alterations were thrown in for free, not that I needed them. I weighed about what I do now but it was proportioned a bit better back then. So my "dress" wasn't a dress but a suit. Plain white pencil skirt but not too tight or short, cummerbund and jacket that matched in a white on white jacquard (I think that is the right term). The jacket had HUGE 1980's shoulder pads! LOL I do remember wishing I weighed less then. Just as I do now. History repeating itself.

I read a little on Leigh Peele (and then Tom Venuto). I don't really feel like I need to spend more money to listen to what they have to say about it all though.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

For fall, I want to get comfortably back under 150 (145 would be awesome). Most importantly, I will continue working on short runs and occasional short races, while I get back into competitive swimming. Food-wise, just work on portion control and being aware of what is going in my mouth and why.

This week's average looks good so far. I'm still going to grin really big when I see the first 149.5 ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #15  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

JayZee, when I bought my dress, I heard so many variations of the weight-loss/alterations theme, that I rebelled (subconsciously) and gained almost 10 pounds in 4 months, requiring that the dress be let out, rather than taken in. I'm not telling you this as a scare tactic, only to say that the expectation of weight loss before a major social event is a miserable experience. Your height/weight listing says that you are just perfect where you are. Your BF/fiance loves you just as you are, and you were personally happy with your weight until the *sshole salespeople started manipulating your head. DON'T LET THEM MANIPULATE YOU. I just attended the wedding of a cousin-by-marriage where the always-slender and lovely lady had clearly lost a good 10-15 pounds more. She didn't look radiant, she looked gaunt and hungry. She picked at the delicious wedding food like it would choke her if she ate a normal bite, and I felt super sorry for her obvious discomfort. There is enough stress leading up to a wedding that adding the expectation of weight loss and the fear of regain to it is just completely unnecessary. If you have to, stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" each time the subject of re-alterations comes up. Or just smile and say "thanks but I am happy with my body like this" (even if it is a lie, like you say in your post) and see if that shuts em up.

As for me, I am stubbornly stuck at 127. Again. On bad days I see 128, and once every 4-5 days, it gets down to 126, but never below. I know this is because I'm incapable of sticking to 1200 cal/day anymore. Heck, I had 1350 today and right now, at 10 pm, I feel like I'm starving. It's kind of sick, but I'm almost looking forward to the obligatory fast day of Yom Kippur on Saturday, just because it may reset my hunger level downward a bit.

And reading Leigh Peel makes me feel worse- I feel like I have permanent "starvation mode" without actually being in a calorie deficit. :>(

Last edited by neurodoc; 09-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote