View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
mimsyborogoves
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: HW:278/SW:241/CW:166/GW:145

Height: 5'4

Not all dining hall choices are bad! Even on every station, they'll always have some kind of "mindful" choice.

You can always guarantee that your salad bar and cold sandwich bar will be healthy; that's a given. But explore your options!

Your hot food line is good when you want a good, cooked meal. My undergrad university always had some sort of veggies and most of the time had some sort of lean meat. But of course sometimes they'd have stuff like fried chicken and sloppy joes, but on those days you wouldn't eat on that bar.

Pizza isn't always unhealthy. Stick to plain cheese or something with a lot of veggies. I particularly like hawaiian pizza, which usually is just ham and pinepple and onions which isn't that bad. I don't know about your grill, but ours changed daily and while they always had fries, the entree on the grill wasn't always bad. Sometimes they had turkey burgers, veggie burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches... one time they had a grilled teriyaki chicken and pineapple sandwich that was really good and always one of my favorites!

My dining hall also had what they called an "Expedition bar" where they'd have international cuisine (Asian stirfries, sushi, indian food, etc). Sometimes they'd have specialty nights for this and they'd have a fresh fruit bar or a hummus bar or a breakfast bar...

With such a wide variety of options, you can totally create a good healthy meal. I'd often get a sandwich from the grill, and then go get the veggies from the hot food line. Or I'd get pizza and a salad, or take advantage of the nights where they'd have the fresh fruit and hummus and things like that. Use it to your advantage!

I have a blog! Check it out!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote