Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/246.3/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Spices

Hi, I am just wondering if there is anything specific I should be using or looking for when it comes to spices. Are any kind of spices ok? Or are there spices that will interfere with weightloss?

Thanks in advance for your answers
tammycorkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #2  

I believe they have to be 0/0/0 to be acceptable.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Try to keep away from the spices with sugars and regular salt. Use a lot of spices like, cinnamon, Mrs. Dash, butter buds, Land O Lakes sprinkles to name a new. As mama said anything else that is 0/0/0 is acceptable
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammycorkum View Post
Hi, I am just wondering if there is anything specific I should be using or looking for when it comes to spices. Are any kind of spices ok? Or are there spices that will interfere with weightloss?

Thanks in advance for your answers
All real spices, like cinnamon, turmeric, dill weed, oregano, etc. have carbs and fiber as well as tiny amounts of calories and interesting other good nutrients. And they are so good for you they are worth considering. If you want to be careful, Google USDA Nutritional Data and enter the spice and the amount you want to use. The information will be really helpful.

Same thing applies to combinations of spices, like Mrs Dash and Braggs. Tasty and good in moderation, of course.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #5  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

The big one to watch out for is the sugar in the spices; and sugar by any of its various names. I use a lot of spices when I cook, mostly BBQ and almost all of them had a lot of sugar and salt. After reading all the labels I was able to find a few that were "safe" on IP. Most of the Mrs. Dash vareity were ok, they offer some like the Southwest Chipotle which have a bit of sugar but I used it since it was not near the top of the list. The challenge is that most stores only sell a couple of the Mrs. Dash line up. The Tony Chachere's
Original Creole Seasoning is also popular if you like a bit of zing to your dish.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #6  

Thank you all for your responses I don't know if anyone knows of this product or currently uses it but I have tonnes of Epicure Selections spices in my cupboard and not sure if I should or can use them. They all seem to have a little of everything in the nutritional info. but that could be for 1 tsp or tbsp. So if I just used a pinch of the spices I wonder if that would be okay or just best to stay away.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammycorkum View Post
Thank you all for your responses I don't know if anyone knows of this product or currently uses it but I have tonnes of Epicure Selections spices in my cupboard and not sure if I should or can use them. They all seem to have a little of everything in the nutritional info. but that could be for 1 tsp or tbsp. So if I just used a pinch of the spices I wonder if that would be okay or just best to stay away.
What do the labels say? And when I Googled Epicure Selections I found that they have a complete Nutritional Information sheet.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #8  

I use Tastefully Simple products http://www.tastefullysimple.com/shop...cessalsas.aspx. I love their Everyday Grillin' seasoning, their seasoning salt, and their dried tomatoe garlic and pesto seasing (this one is not 0/0/0).

Last edited by mamacitaof2; 01-12-2012 at 07:06 AM.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/177/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the information you guys answered many of my questions.
marie montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
I use Tastefully Simple products http://www.tastefullysimple.com/shop...cessalsas.aspx. I love their Everyday Grillin' seasoning, their seasoning salt, and their dried tomatoe garlic and pesto seasing (this one is not 0/0/0).
I compared these products to the Epicure products and so wish they sold the tastefully simple products in canada
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

But the Everyday Grillin seasoning has sugar in it! And corn syrup! The serving size is probably so small because if it was even 1/2 teaspoon they would have to list carbs, calories, etc.

I don't know about you but I would use much more than the 1/4 teaspoon they say is a serving size!
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 243/197/170

Height: 5'10"

Glad I found this, I was wondering the same thing! I'm brand new and starting the diet Monday. I NEED good salad dressing ideas, and I'm browsing the posts to find something! I know I saw a thread on here where someone listed the cheapest place to order the Walden Farms products. Can someone lead me there? I can't find it!
Icathinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #13  

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning has always been one of my favourite go to spices even before IP....and while it is listed as 0/0/0/0/0/0 lol the first ingredient is still salt.....with sodium count listed at 350mg for 1/4 tsp...

is it still okay to use? ....please say "yes" lol *puppy dog eyes*

also i really DISLIKE the walden farms stuff i have used so far....is there anything else i can use ...cuz i know i will get totally bored of salad with oil/white vinegar fast.

Last edited by Art3mis; 06-30-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #14  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

If you are looking for salad dressing recipes, I know there are a lot listed here. But, I made a delicious one the other day:

I had about 1 tbsp of "mockamole" left (search this site for recipe). I added a little oil, water, Mrs. Dash southwest spices, and a little lime juice. Mixed it all together and had a really yummy, thick dressing for my lettuce and leftover fajita veggies. It was PERFECT.
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #15  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Some spices, like chili powder, are OK even though they technically have carbs. The carbs in chili powder are not digestible by humans. So just a "pass through" item. ; )
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote