Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #1  
Darlene

Default Fast food junkie!!!

That's MY biggest hurdle! I'm sure there are others like me out there. How do you handle the temptation to just swing through the drive-thru when you're out and hungry???
GeorgiaBornNBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #2  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I'll keep snacks on me, don't carry cash on me, or just avoid it. Or I'll find healthier options from those places.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I remind myself that nothing tastes as good as beeing healthy feels. And, like the above poster, keep healthy snacks on me at all times
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4  
Darlene

Good suggestions! I just wish I didn't LOVE that horrible stuff so much! *LOL* Maybe I should keep a current photo of myself in front of me at all times.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/165/132

Height: 5'5.5

i was one,,, ohhhh!!! how i Totally was one!!!! i ate junk food EVERY. SINGLE.DAY for the past 3 years. Sometimes two or three times a day. I forgot the taste of normal home cooked food, so much so that i would feel nauseous just imagining healthy food :S So i gave junk food up cold turkey when i started this journey. I requested family not to bring fast food home for 3 weeks atleast. i would not look at the fast food joints and drive- thruz while driving and would constantly tell myself "cant i live 8 months without fast food. 8 months from my whole life!! i owe myself tht!" And i made sure that i had some rescue food at hand... small healthy snacks. that helped alot !After 1 month or so, you wont believe this, but i was so hooked onto eating wholesome and natural foods that i couldnt stand the smell of a burger near me. after two months of abstinence, i tried eating a burger, but could only manage 3 small bites and felt full and not good at all. My taste buds have changed

Bottom line, tell yourself what i told myself. You owe yourself a year out of your whole life dedicated to abstinence!!! and in that process, you can change what your taste buds like!!! In maintenance, you can add junk food gradually but sparingly. Good luck!!

Last edited by hamlette; 09-10-2013 at 12:23 PM.
hamlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #6  
Darlene

Oooo...thanks, Hamlette! That's good advice. Put a time limit on it. Kind of like, "for just today, I'll______" (fill in the blank). Putting a short period of time on something makes it seem much more doable. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Another thing is that I tried was to learn how to make copycat favorites like fries, bols, pizzas, cheeseburgers, etc. Worth it since you know what's in it and it's definitely cheaper!!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #8  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

What I did was make a list of all of my favorite fast food places and looked up the nutrition information on each and every one of them. From there I filled out a small notebook I could keep in my purse with the nutrition info of acceptable fast food items that could potentially be worked into my diet.

If the food item was not in my book, it was out of the question to order. No exceptions. I didn't even look at the rest of the menu! And if I did order something out of my book, it had to fit in with the rest of my meals for the day.

This way, I could still occasionally eat fast food without worry or guilt! I'm just really careful about my choices. Good luck! For some it's best to abstain entirely, but for me I feel much better being able to draw my own line where I want so I can enjoy certain things in moderation.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #9  
Darlene

Great suggestions, Amandie and Elladorine! Very good!

And congrats on your baby, Elladorine! Blessings for a continued healthy pregnancy.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know I know, I've lost a ton of weight so I'm supposed to say I never touch the stuff bahahahah but I'd be LYING!!!

I WISH that crap tasted disgusting to me now...but it does no such thing let's face it, we're hardwired to LOVEEEE fat sugar salt, and the blissful combination of all three is the mouth-hole jackpot LOL

That being said, I used to LOVE 1/4 lbers /w cheese, large fries, and a DQ blizzard for dessert.

now I get a plain hamburger kids happy meal and I STILL get the divine taste, still feel like i'm IN and OF the modern world lol but it's not too big a hit now and again
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #11  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

My best solution has been complete abstinence and making a healthy substitute at home. It's been 3.5 months for me now and the first 2 months I was weak in my desires. If tempted, I know I would have given in immediately. So I just stayed away from it. Now, I don't even want it. I tried some of my mom's burger Saturday and it just tasted like grease (I wiped my tongue off). So though your taste buds currently crave it like crazy, they will change. Good luck! I was 100% addicted to fast food and here I am not having eaten it in quite some time. (My wallet has thanked me too)
Nagazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I try to find healthier options if I go To a drive thru...
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

My biggest hurdle is when I go for a walk in the evening, by the end of it I feel really hungry, so I stopped taking any money with me. The place I go to for a walk is pretty close to home, so I tell myself that if I'm hungry, I can just walk home in 5 minutes, and have some water and a few almonds instead of buying McDonalds and wasting all my exercise.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #14  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I'm right there with you! I never was much for eating out, maybe a couple times a week (comparatively to those who eat out every day, sometimes more than once, lol). I make it completely inconvenient. I never "swing by" on my way home. I'll go all the way home and (this sounds silly) over think it. "Since this is a rare treat, do I want option A, or option B? Well, there's always my favorite, option C." Then it gets to the point "Is it really worth to drive to option C for the one meal?" By that time either it really IS worth it, or it's not even close to being worth it and I'll just fix something at home.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #15  
Darlene

One thing I've been finding a tiny bit "victorious" is that there are some good salads available now. Probably not as healthy as I'd make at home, but, for a fast food "fix" they're not bad. McDonald's and Arby's both have good salads, with non-fried meats on them, for about $5.

On a good day, when I swing into the parking lot, I've been choosing a salad instead of a Number #1, upsized, please. *LOL* I just have to really follow through and use my lower fat salad dressing at home instead of the package they give me.