General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #1  
i know i can!!

S/C/G: 330/330/200

Height: 5'2"

Default Has anyone

has anyone heard of garcinia cambogia?!
MariiWhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Yes. Wikipedia entry

Quote:
In late 2012, a United States television personality, Dr. Oz, promoted Garcinia cambogia extract as a "magic" weight-loss aid. Dr. Oz's previous endorsements have often led to a substantial increase in consumer interest in the promoted products. However, clinical trials do not support claims that Garcinia cambogia is an effective weight-loss aid.[6] A meta-analysis found a possible small, short-term weight loss effect (under 1 kilogram).[7] However, side effects—namely hepatotoxicity—led to one preparation being withdrawn from the market.[8]
A 1998 randomized controlled trial looked at the effects of hydroxycitric acid, the purported active component in Garcinia gummi-gutta, as a potential antiobesity agent in 135 people. The conclusion from this trial was that "Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo".[9]
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Pretty much. Anytime I see anything associated with Dr. Oz, I disregard it. I know that he is a doctor and a surgeon but he's got a long history of promoting quack nostrums.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #4  

I agree. I think Dr. Oz is a complete sell-out. I don't believe a word he says.

My brother's SO, who's 65 years old and ought to know better, believes every word that comes out of that quack's mouth.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Can't stand Dr. Oz, so many people think his word is gospel, makes me sad.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #6  

Hi,

I am on the other side and like Dr. Oz. He has said many times on his show that he does not endorse products so I am curious why so many think he is a scam artist.

I do not believe everything he says on his show but I have learned a lot of valuable information by watching.

Some say he is a media whore and that may be true but it does not negate the truth of what he says. Naturally everything has to be thought through as it would be from any source.I do what make sense to me and avoid what doesn't.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Except that much of what he says sounds like truth, but when you "look it up" you find it isn't.

I don't believe anything he says, not because he's a media whore, but because I've caught him in too many exaggerations, misleading comments, and outright lies.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm currently trying garcinia cambogia, but not because of Dr. Oz (at least not directly).

My MIL is really into supplements that her chiropractor recommends, and she bought a 5-6 month supply for her husband. When his doctor didn't approve (he has severe colon and bowel issues, which run in the family), we received a gift of 5 unopened bottles and the remainder of an open one.

I had no interest in trying it, but hubby did. He has some of the digestive system issues as his father, but in the earlier stages. The garcinia supplement aggravated them, so the bottles sat on hubby's bedside table for months.

My pms/tom hunger has always been out of control, but as I've gotten closer to menopause it's gotten worse and worse. This past cycle, in desperation (and because it was free to us, and just sitting there) I started taking the garcinia cambogia supplement.

It did seem to help significantly, but it's too soon to tell if the effects are real or permanent.

I can't say I'd recommend it yet, but as it's an extract of an edible citrus fruit, I believe it's relatively safe to try.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote