Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It seems that Oregan is more than just expresso drive-thru kiosks and used book stores - although the abundance of both brings joy to my heart.

It also has wifi so I can start September's thread.

We're wandering down Route 101 headed toward the Redwoods. The ordinary Spruce and Pine are unusually tall compared to those that remain around Boston. Taking time to see Gray Whales each day. It's amazing. Around here you go to the beach and look west and there they are.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Even though it is merely hours since my last post (because I did yesterday's soooo late) here I am again. But this time in September! OP today except for meditation. Have decided that in light of my revelation that at the moment stretching is more importwnt than meditation I am going to aim to meditate 5 days oer week and stretch everyday, instead of the other way around.

bBe - glad to hear the trip is going well! Oregon made me think Portland, which made me think Portlandia, which made me think of this Portland based company that makes panniers that I stumbled upon a month or so ago - they look like awesome bags - but why I thought of them is that they have a video on there that could truly have come straight out of Portlandia :-) I will put a link, hopefully you will all find it as amusing as I did :-) http://northstbags.com/blogs/north-s...-top-hip-pouch
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Welcome to September! I got half-way back to maintenance weight in August so I'm aiming for the other half in September.

WI: +0.15 in kg, Exercise: +40 1420/1500 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses:

Thanks, BillBlueEyes, for getting us started for September! Your vacation sounds wonderful.

ForMyGirls: Good for you for switching up your plan to suit your needs.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/168/153

Height: 5'2

Hi all--I started Atkins last Thursday and have stuck with it. I haven't stepped on the scale but my tummy is flatter already

And I didn't let my hormones get the better of me which means I ate plain ole almonds when I had a chocolate craving. Credit ME!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #6  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

Food has been OP today although no exercise--I did enjoy reading on the deck in the sun, though!

At lunch, I finished eating before I ran out of cheeseburger--and at dinner, I stopped with corn on the cob, pineapple, and stuffed green pepper still on my plate. I was full--and I stopped. Credit for that!

My weight is below ticker--I'll probably update the ticker tomorrow. Between us, DH and I have lost over 70 pounds this year. We're pretty pleased with ourselves :-)

Tomorrow, I'm planning a light breakfast and light dinner, because DD has asked if we can go to Uno's. (I'm picking her up for room decorating retail therapy and Uno's is right next to the Ikea.)

I have a big party to go to next weekend and am hosting one the weekend after. Time for me to do some soul searching--do I want to lose more weight and reach my goals or do I want to eat nonstop/constantly at parties? I can't do both--it just doesn't work that way.

I'm taking time for personals today--new month, new stone--I think doing personals keeps me more connected to all of you and that much more committed to my path and goals.

Newlifestyle: Credit for putting together a few alternatives to switch between for breakfast and lunch! That makes things so much easier, I think--simple is easy to follow and it leaves only dinner to really "plan".

ForMyGirls: Credit for holding out the fruit bread--that sounds delicious! "Not feeling well" or "injured" is a slippery slope for me--sometimes, I truly can't exercise, but I don't want to strengthen my giving in muscle, so I struggle with it, too.

BillBE: I'm jealous of your whale watching! Thanks so much for taking vacation time to set up this new thread for us!

ForMyGirls: I think it's great that you're recognizing that while meditation is so important to you, stretching is even more so. Credit for keeping both of them at the forefront.

gardenerjoy: You were really close to your exercise goals for August--it's got to be inspiring to watch the minutes add up.

happyhoustonmommy: Serious credit for almonds over chocolate. Lots of people have great success with Atkins. I hope it's a good fit for you!

Take care, all.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #7  

Hello coaches,

A less than perfect day. Was my elder daughter's birthday so cake and dinner out. Definitely ate more than my share of carbs and ate beyond normal fullness! But the cheesecake was planned for and I had a sensible sized slice. And I didn't have any alcohol with dinner. So there were good decisions in there :-) another credit is I did ALL my stretches this morning. Oh - and I got some serious spontaneous exercise playing elastics with my kids this afternoon!

Gardener joy - yay for being halfway back to maintenance weight.

Happy Houston mummy - well done for overcoming a chocolate craving

Beth - stopping eating when full is a huge achievement. And twice in one day. Way to go.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is a family gathering. I'm bringing salad and I'll skip snacks out there.

This is an extra challenge with MiL in rehab care. We'll visit her on the way to the family gathering. It's hard to tell how things are going. She doesn't seem to be getting all the therapy we expected, but making judgments during a long holiday weekend probably isn't fair.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +60 60/1400 minutes for August, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

happyhoustonmommy: yay for trying something new!

bethfromDayton: congrats on you and hubby losing together! DH and I seem to take turns, which is a little crazy-making.

ForMyGirls: one of my principles for celebratory meals is wine or dessert, not both. So good job there! What is "playing elastics"?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just popping in to say hello! And to say I had a little bet with myself that the expression "playing elastics" probably wouldn't have made the journey to the Americas. I'll leave ForMyGirls to explain but I'd say that knicker elastic is good for this game.

Trying to reimplement "eat only when sitting down" with poor success so far.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/199/165

Height: 5'8"

Hello coaches,
Haven't checked in for a while and while my weight is down I've started back sliding on the good habits. I've realized that when the scale doesn't go down I quickly start losing my commitment/zeal. I'm going to have to re-read several sections of the Book. I've been dealing with back spasms for the past couple of weeks and although I'm on the mend, it has made fitness training impossible. I always find that if I can work-out then I tend to stay on track much better. I was able to do 20 minutes on the elliptical today without pain so I'll give that a try each day this week and see how it goes. Wish me luck! It's a holiday weekend here in Canada (Labour Day) - hope all of you have a great holiday weekend or a decent Monday as applies :-)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #11  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Hi all,
Not been here a while. Just busy with end of Summer hols stuff. But I have been sticking OP most of the time and have lost 5lbs :-) So feeling pretty good. DS now in half cast up to knee and can bear weight which has made a big difference all round. They are back at school tomorrow so I expect to be here every day to give and receive support. And also commit to exercise again.

Hope you're all doing well. I will catch up on personals tmrw. I just wanted to post and not let another day go by without doing so.

3TL
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #12  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Back from my trip to Lexxiss' stomping grounds in the Rockies and now feel like there is SO MUCH oxygen here having sucked wind on hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park. All went wonderfully, and now I'm actually dreading returning to work. Have been reading "Finding your own North Star" by Martha Beck, along with some other small books on living mindfully... And feel that I'm really in a wrong career for me. But it pays half of our bills... hard to rethink a career change at my age.

Will catch up on how everyone was doing tomorrow, hopefully, in the last pages of the August thread. 60 Days until Halloween ... DH is joining me in this challenge. He does and then fades out a few days later, but I'm going to keep a tight grasp this time
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #13  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

My plan for today had been a light breakfast, Uno's pizza for lunch, and a light dinner--managed it. The pizza was delicious--but I managed to hold myself to eating half of the individual size--and felt quite satisfied with it. DD will enjoy my leftovers--I left them with her.

Exercise today was shopping--not enough to make up for the 4.5 hours I spent driving, but that's okay. I'll be back walking at work tomorrow.

My scale is finally showing a downward trend again, and like Tracey_on_a_Journey, my commitment seems tied to my successes. Hmm--being committed leads to success, not the other way around. But it does feed on itself.

nationalparker: I'm glad you had a great vacation. I hope DH stays with you on the Halloween challenge--being able to do it together can be really supportive!

3rdTimeLucky: Congrats on the 5 lbs. It must be great for DS to be able to be weight bearing again, especially with school starting again.

Tracey on a journey: I hope your back spasms cease--back pain is so debilitating. Good luck on the elliptical--but don't overdo, if you can help yourself. It's Labor Day in the US, too--I loved having a 3 day weekend!

silverbirch: Hey for checking in! You're right--that phrase isn't one I know!

gardenerjoy: How did your family party go with regards to food? I think "skip snacks" is challenging!

ForMyGirls: Credit for stretches. Credit for a reasonable size slice of cheesecake--and for defining reasonable! I googled "playing elastics"--I don't know that we called it anything when I was a girl, but we did play it!

Take care, all!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

It must be a Labor Day (end of summer trend) to be back and recommitting. I took the week off traveling and working through the blues. I was not near a scale and was in the high altitudes so I am going to postpone my first of the month ticker move until Monday. I want a good idea of my weight without excuses.

Food is planned and in MFP for tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #15  

hello coaches,

We had the most glorious spring day here today. I wore a short sleeved top and summer shoes and delighted in all the blossom in the trees. Had a great work day with an activity I was leading that went off really well and got to the end of a really busy patch so felt like I could draw breath at work for the first time in a while. Food and exercise were totally OP and I got back on the bike for the first time in a month and my back is totally fine tonight. Hooray. I had missed my beloved Lucy (the bike). Also felt a bit of loosening up in some muscles in my stretching today. Love how the body rewards you when you do the right thing by it :-)

Gardenerjoy - hope the family gathering went well. Elastics is a game my kids have just discovered that I used to play when I was a kid (and I am pretty sure my Mum played when she was a kid). Great big loop of elastic. Two people stand about 2 metres apart with it around their legs and then the person in the middle jumps - first on one side, then the other, then both legs in the middle, then both on the outside, then inside, then landing on the two strings. If they do it without a mistake then the elastic is moved up the people's legs - the goal being to see who can get the highest. It is SUCH hard work! So amused though - my kids have 'taught' it to me like it is the newest thing on the planet :-) And thanks for the thought re 'wine or dessert' at gatherings.

Silverbirch - intrigued to see if your bet wins out - hard to believe "elastics" isn't a global phenomenon. Good luck with reimplementing "sitting down" - for me it is and incredibly helpful boundary definer.

Tracey on a journey - great observations about what helps you keep motivated. Shall be sending wishes out for a back pain free week for you - it does make it sooooo much harder to stay motivated when exercise options are limited I think.

3TL - yay for not letting another day go by. And yay for 5 pounds gone forever!

national parker - welcome home - LOL on the so much oxygen

Beth - well done for your restraint in the face of pizza. Your and Tracey's comments about the link between success leading to commitment made me think of a mantra that a psych introduced me to years ago when I was recovering from post-natal depression. The mantra goes "action leads to motivation". I find it incredibly useful - so, for example if I don't want to exercise I just tell myself 'action leads to motivation' so that I remember that if I actually do it my enthusiasm will follow. ANd pleased to hear the 'elastics' is indeed a global game (even if the name isn't) :-)

Maryann - welcome back from the blues and well done for having your food planned for tomorrow!
Closed Thread