Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 05:27 PM   #1  
Head Princess

Exclamation For those interested in calories

I'm in research mode today - hee hee

So I found this nifty little tool online that gives you your basal metabolic rate based on your height and weight. You can use it to figure out how many calories you need and how many you can take in while still losing weight. I don't know that I'd take it as gospel, since a recent study has shown that following a low carb way of eating will allow you to take in more calories and still lose weight, this is still probably a good tool.

http://countcarbs.com/tools/basal_metabolism.htm
Old 11-05-2003, 10:05 AM   #2  

Thanks StarPrincess: I have seen that web site before and when I started this woe I printed out some of the information that they have on there specifically Understanding the Rules of Induction. I found it very helpful.

I also just read the Yes You Can Have Yogurt article. I am wondering what everyone thinks of this. I really miss having yogurt and would love to add it in to my daily routine but I am concerned about the total carbs. The article says the actual carb count is only something like 2 carbs for 1/2 cup of plain unsweetend.

Now of course is my other problem. WHO WOULD EAT PLAIN UNSWEETEND YOGURT!

Does anyone have any insite on this subject?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #3  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Interesting! I have watched my calorie intake more because I find that if I eat more than 1500 calories or so I tend to feel bloated. This calc said to stick around 1550! LOL!

Jane, LindaBC uss the yogurt and knows several people who eat yogurt to break stalls... she would be your best bet on that!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Sorry no "magic carb eating phenomenon" with yogurt....you must count ALL the carbs.

...and in fact plain FULL FAT yogurt is delish! I have found a brand w/4 carbs per half cup and I have it a few times per week....I do mix in some sf raspberry or vanilla syrup...or sometimes mix in a packet of splenda and dip my strawberries in it (I am on OWL).....what a treat that is!

Froufy
Old 11-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Karen - that's way too funny!
Old 11-05-2003, 04:36 PM   #6  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Wow - I'm not sure how accurate that is because I went and had my metabolic rate measured with that contraption called Med Gem http://www.healthetech.com/medical_medgem.html This was when I weighed 260lbs and it read that my metabolic rate was 2400 calories.

Now when I put that same 260lbs in that weight field, it comes back as 1900 calories. Funny though is that the place that did my reading told me to cut my calories by exactly 500 per day (which would take me to the 1900) to lose weight at a reasonable weight.

But it's a great way to be conservative - and not spend the $100 I spent to have it read for me.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:40 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Remember, this is your basal metabolic rate. Is it perhaps different that what you did? The rate this calculator gives you the ballpark of how many calories you need to consume - at the minimum - to keep your body running correctly and still lose weight.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:50 PM   #8  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

That's exactly what the MedGem does.
It is the same thing.

Isn't it pathetic that my # was 2400???? I was mortified!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:02 PM   #9  
Head Princess

It will only get better now.
Closed Thread