Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Default How to prepare for a really intense fitness program?

So I did the stupid thing and bought one of those really hard home workout programs without actually taking a good look at what my current fitness level is. After opening it up so I couldn't return it (@#DSHJSD) I realized there's no way I'll have the stamina to ever complete it, as I am now. So I figure I should try to work up to it.

Does anyone have any advice on how I do that? I'm not really all that big but I have NO muscle or endurance whatsoever, I can't even run for more than a minute without getting winded and exhausted >_< I feel like I am not sure where to start. Help!!
archaic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Jillian Michaels 30-day shred is a good entry. Hard in the beginning, but one sees fast progress.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #3  

What's the programme? Is it more strength or cardio based?
Jaz050465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/185/135

Height: 5'6"

Archaic- sounds like an intense program! I think you have more courage and ability to start the fitness routine than you think. The very fact that you went ahead and purchased it says you are in the right mindset. Exercise, like a lot of things in life, is not all-or-nothing, black-and-white mentality (believe me, I struggle with this way of thinking a lot, I'm trying to work on it!) If you can do 10 seconds at first, that is better than nothing! If you can do 1 minute, awesome! Just think of the alternative: doing nothing. So even if you feel you can't do a lot at first, remember that it's heck better than being sedentary! The human body is going to acclimate to any exercise program. Is it working out going to be fun? Probably not at first. But it will get easier, and then when those endorphins kick in, it will be worth it! (Not to mention the health benefits!) Good luck
Redonkulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

A couple years ago I bought the Venus Index workouts. I'm still working on it. It takes a lot of time to learn to do the workouts with the correct form. I had to modify a lot of stuff because I was getting hurt doing it wrong. I had to work with a personal trainer to achieve that. And yet I'm still working on it. Happily! I'm much stronger now, and I can actually perform most of the workouts.

Take it slow, work on form, and if you need help, hire a good personal trainer to go over the workout with you and make modifications as needed. Make sure you're eating enough and get enough rest, so you don't sabotage your efforts.

I wish you well!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #6  
sct
Shy chick

S/C/G: sw167/cw145

Height: 5'-10"

I would just go as long as you can and then shut it off. Rinse and repeat. Every time you do it, you'll be able to do a little more. Before too long, you'll be able to do the whole thing.
sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I did a hard home workout program called P90X and my advice from my experience is to take it easy the first week. The first week I do HALF of what they tell you to do. So if they want 25 pushups, I do 12. If they want 20 reps on the bicep curls, I do 10. And usually I'm wasted at the end of the workout. Then the next week I'll add maybe 2. And work up from there until I'm doing all the ones the people on TV are doing. My DH, on the other hand, started out P90X all gung-ho and quit after a week because he was too sore. Oh, and plan on going to be early by about an hour for the first few weeks, because your body will need more repair time.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #8  
DolphinGirl

S/C/G: 200

Height: 5-10

What's the program??
zihlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 356/248/150

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I agree on doing the video for as long as you can (without hurting yourself). But then for me personally I would switch down to something I can do better to make up for the rest of the time of the video. Like taking a walk, doing crunches/sit ups, leg lifts, etc. Or an easier work out. Doing it as far as you can and then just shutting it off will get you there as long as you're being consistent but I feel working out for the same amount of time though with switching to less impact until you can go the whole video works better personally.
skinnyfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I started much easier. Like you, I had no stamina!!!

I worked with a physical therapist who set me exercises for each joint set, so that I could build up strength across my whole body. Only then, was I capable of integrating in cardio work outs. Now, one year later, I've incorporate pretty intense HIIT (hi intensity intervals 4x/week) and 1500yd swims 2x week. I needed to work on shoulder stabilizers, gimpy knees, almost no glutes and quads, weak abs, virtually no delts/lats, before I could do much of anything. My big bug-a-boo now is still weak hips and hamstrings, which still affects my time on the treadmill.

If you are weak and need stamina, I'd work on strengthening each joint in a more targeted, methodical program, and then add the recumbant bike (easiest) for stamina, upgrading to a rowing machine, swimming, elliptical, or treadmill/runs as capable. That would be the same point to introduce hi intensity videos, if you don't want to use a gym.

GOOD LUCK!!!
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:37 AM   #11  

The evening before a weightlifting or resistance training session, consume a high-protein meal to assist maintain muscle mass. Prior to strength training, a 2:1 carb-to-protein ratio is wise.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote