Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178.5/175.5/125

Height: 5'2

Default Sucralose / Splenda Concerns?

Does anyone have any concerns regarding the use of Sucralose / Splenda on this diet? I know it is considered "safe" by some, but are many who consider it harmful.

Here is how livestrong.com defines it:
"Splenda is an artificial sweetener made from sucralose, a synthetic compound derived from sugar and chlorine molecules."

Interested to hear your thoughts on it.
navydocmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #2  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I have concerns about it. Especially since it has recently been downgraded from "safe" to "caution". I don't use it at all so the thought of ingesting it for however long it takes me to reach my goal weight does concern me. I have considered selecting only the IP foods that don't contain Splenda; or at least minimizing the use of it. I'm only on day 3 and am trying a selection of the IP foods now.
AliExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #3  

I put off starting IP for eight months due to the highly processed nature of the food

Not only the artificially sweeteners but the soy, which is being shown more and more is NOT safe for human consumption

Through those eight months I gained more weight and got more miserable until I decided that the IP plan would be temporary but living as a morbidly obese person was putting me in an early grave.

I don't have to consume the processed stuff in maintenance, so it really is a temporary means to a healthier end.

Since starting IP, the soy proved me right and I had to quit all soy protein containing products, which cut out most of my IP favorites.

I learned the Quest bar natural line is stevia-sweetened & soy/gluten free
I also found Syntrax Nectar Naturals with no artificial sweeteners or colors plus soy/GF.
I'm also using Simply Chips (I get them from Netrition)
When I add sweetener, it is usually stevia sweetened (Stur)

These items help me cut back on the use of Splenda or other artifial sweeteners and soy/gluten in IP foods. My coach just had to live with it although I've been treated like a step-child b/c I'm not buying her products.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #4  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

I have some concerns, but I had more concerns about the way I was eating before IP -- lots of sugar, lots of sweeteners, lots of fat, etc. I am thinking of it as a means to an end. I hope, once in maintenance, I can get away from a lot of the artificial and processed foods, but, for now, I believe the benefits of getting my weight under control is at least equal to, if not surpassing, the concerns over sucralose.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

As many have said it's a means to an end.

For me, it's the lesser of the two evils. Sugar is hard on me, will splenda be hard on me? Perhaps but I'm willing to exchange the sugar for the splenda.

Educated decision for your own lifestyle.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #6  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydocmom View Post
Does anyone have any concerns regarding the use of Sucralose / Splenda on this diet? I know it is considered "safe" by some, but are many who consider it harmful.

Here is how livestrong.com defines it:
"Splenda is an artificial sweetener made from sucralose, a synthetic compound derived from sugar and chlorine molecules."

Interested to hear your thoughts on it.
Like others have said -- this is one part of the diet that I am not crazy about. I have always avoided artificial sweeteners because I have concerns about them.

BUT -- I look at IP as a temporary measure/tool in my goal to get healthy. I'm not going to eat this way for the rest of my life. And it is working. In a relatively short time, I have moved out of the "obese" weight category, my blood pressure is lower, my blood sugar is lower & at the top of the normal range (I was pre-diabetic), I don't wheeze when I walk fast anymore, and my knees don't hurt.

To quote SylviesGirl, because she put it so well -- once in maintenance, I am looking forward to getting away from a lot of the artificial and processed foods, but for now I believe the benefits of getting my weight under control are at least equal to, if not surpassing, the concerns over sucralose.

Last edited by bluegirl9; 08-30-2013 at 02:24 PM.
bluegirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #7  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I too believe in a whole foods diet, heavy on veggies and light on fruit with some whole grains and protein. BUT I could NOT lose weight eating that way. I lost 20 lbs and hit a plateau. I drug my heels some before switching to IP using alternatives. The weight is coming off, granted it's slowed as I've gotten closer to goal, and my body is shrinking.

I'm positive I can maintain on a whole foods diet, but I couldn't get to a healthy BMI while eating it. So IP is a short term solution and I'm thankful for it...splenda, processed foods and all.
SuzieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #8  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

This exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
I have some concerns, but I had more concerns about the way I was eating before IP -- lots of sugar, lots of sweeteners, lots of fat, etc. I am thinking of it as a means to an end. I hope, once in maintenance, I can get away from a lot of the artificial and processed foods, but, for now, I believe the benefits of getting my weight under control is at least equal to, if not surpassing, the concerns over sucralose.
Clarington45 is offline   Reply With Quote