Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #1  

Smile Steel Magnolias #57

Good afternoon, ladies! 81 degrees and sunshine - we had rain this am.

Nothing happening today but work. Tomorrow is English paper piecing at Bella so that will be fun.

Faye, could you please tell me the website you get your beads from. I might try a bracelet since yours are so pretty. I'm starting a Tunisian crochet sweater that I hope to have completed by next spring (can't cut into my quilting time by too much). I didn't have morning sickness today so I'm hoping this episode is over.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's humid and sunny although the temperature says it is cooler today. My air is still running however, and we are supposed to be back in the 90s over the weekend into next week. I've been doing laundry and may break down and vacuum upstairs when I finish here.

Maggie -- You talking about eggs made me decide to make deviled eggs this morning. It's been years so I hope they taste ok tonight. I plan to call and check on Momma cat in a couple days. I'm pretty sure she was dumped because she wanted in the house so badly.

Susan -- I hope your stomach stays settled down. Glad your back is feeling better. I've never been to a chiropractor. Have fun at Bella's tomorrow!

"Gma" -- I'm so glad your clothes fit! A lot of my childhood memories are just that since the tornado demolished my grade school and church. The main downtown street still looks the same but someone decided to build a mini mall a block away; that folded a few years ago and was torn down. Some of the stores have been remodeled so it really doesn't seem like the same place to me. My dad built living quarters attached to the business and that now is something else. I would love to go inside and see what it looks like now.

I need to keep moving or will not get anything more done today. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #3  

Good early morning to you. Jack left for work about 40 minutes ago and I was going to go back to sleep because my brother called and woke me up around 10 PM last night, but I wanted to check on my last bracelet shipment. I ended up having to send them an email about tracking info.

I am done with the cowl I am knitting for the cruise. I posted a picture of it while blocking and a picture of the original pattern so you can see how it is supposed to be worn. I also posted a picture of my little animal bracelet. The beads are actually bright orange, a sort of yellow orange and white not the color that shows up. It came in today. I am also going to order some jewelry from this great place I bought all my stuff last year online. I should be set then for this year. I am still waiting on that pair of pants though she said they have been shipped. I just hope they fit now after all this trouble.

We are going to go and get my contacts and pick up a couple things from Walmart tonight then I guess tomorrow Jack is going to shampoo the other downstairs carpet. He will have to do it early or it will get to hot to do it.

Susan: The main site I use is pugster.com and they are having another sale right now. I also use goodybeads.com once in awhile. If you get on pugster's mailing list you will get a notice of all their sales. Glad you are feeling better. When you do finish your sweater try and post it as I would love to see it. Do you think crocheting is easier than knitting and more comfortable? I always thought it might be as you only deal with the hook and a stitch not a whole row of them. I saw on my knitting website a lady making a lace shawl had 1400 stitches on her needles! Ok, so knitting a shawl is not going to be in my agenda, at least not one like that!

Jean: Hope you got all your cleaning done, mama cat is ok and all is right with the world at your house. I love deviled eggs but Jack won't eat them so I guess it's a good thing. I used the same ingredients as when I make potato salad or egg salad. Have you ever had egg salad with green olives? It is quit the rage in the south I guess. I had this macaroni salad at a church lunch one time and I have never been able to recreate it to taste the same. It had the basic macaroni salad but had olives and tuna in it. It was really delicious.

I am going to go and knit and try and finish up the cowl. The yarn for the sweater wasn't even close though the color numbers were the same so I am not exactly sure what I am going to do. I have it 90% done and I hate to tear the whole thing out. I have had suggestions from people at the knitting site, but not sure any of them are viable for this sweater. Have a great weekend all. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeritageTrellisLaceCowl.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg summerneckcowl.jpg (35.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg animalbracelet.jpg (34.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by gma22; 08-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was another hot and humid day in my corner of the world. I was able to have another day at home to work on sorting clothes. I am embarrassed by how many I have that I've not worn in many years. I found a whole tote in the basement when I was looking for something else this morning. Bob was at an all day golf outing for the health facility where he is on the board. Tomorrow he will be gone all day to pick up his 5th tractor (which we need like I need another cat!). Sunday is Ian's football game in Sioux Falls and Tuesday is soccer games in Sioux City.

"Gma" -- Thanks for sharing the pictures. I wasn't exactly sure what a cowl would look like other than you mentioned wearing it instead of a necklace. Pretty colors! You will have fun wearing your animal bracelet, is there a cat in there some place? Bob's mom put green olives in her potato salad, and sometimes celery. The first time I had it I thought it was weird because I grew up with just potatoes, eggs, and a little onion with Miracle Whip and mustard dressing. I've never heard of olives in tuna salad either. I haven't made that in a long time, sounds good! I usually just use macaroni, tuna, celery, onion, and Miracle Whip for that. How do you make it? Would it look dumb to finish your sweater with an entirely different colored yard? It is the shoulders that you need to finish, right? Maybe you have enough yarn as it is.

I'm heading to bed. My nose has been running all day and I have a headache. Hope it's not a cold. Have a nice weekend!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies. Its only 66 degrees right now so a bit chilly. Going up to 82 this afternoon. Of course, it rained during the night.

There is an exhibit called The Body Revealed at the Living Museum here (its traveling around the country). It is real human bodies that were donated to science that have been preserved and you can see how muscles and nerves and bones and the various organs look and are placed. Anyway, Sandy and I wanted to go but my budget didn't stretch to $29 for a ticket. The local newspaper had an online contest for 2 tickets .... and I won! I got the email Thursday night and picked up the tickets yesterday morning. We are going today so I'll have more to report a later today.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies. It is a scorcher this morning. We have everything running full blast. I have laundry to do which of course heats up the house some, but the humidity is 80% so the 80 degree temps feel like 90's.

Woohoo found a solution to my sweater. It isn't a perfect solution, but it is working and I am so glad as I put a lot of money and more than that a lot of effort into making it. I ripped back the back to the shoulder area, cut the yarn then wove in a worsted weight that I bought in the same color (remember the hat???) Well, I am anal about instructions so I had the rows written out row by row when I started decreasing for the armholes. I ripped back to where I wanted to start again, marked it on my list and then started forward again using the worsted, which is basically one up in thickness. I have been knitting in several rows with the worsted then switch to the dk weight yarn then back and forth so it blends pretty well unless you are really looking at it. I have kept measurements to make sure it isn't making it larger, but since I am not doing a huge amount, seems like it is doing ok. When I get to the row where I put in the neckline again, I will drop the back and forth completely and finish the back in the dk weight and should have enough left over to finish the front. This way, the shoulders won't be wider in the back than the front and make it impossible to match the shoulder pieces to sew it together.

Susan: Congrats on the contest win. Several years ago I entered some contest where the winner got all this stuff for bbqing and a bbqing book written by Al Roker. I forgot all about it and one day a box shows up with bbqing tools, pot holders, apron, and this book. It was pretty cool as he signed the book. Have fun at the museum. The museum of science and industry in Chicago has an area about birth. They have these glass cases full of babies from very tiny to full term. These aren't fake, they are human babies. People might find that disturbing, but they weren't murdered, they died in some way and were donated and this was way over 50 years ago. The kids for the most part don't think it is gross but interesting. I found it fascinating as a little kid frankly not appalled. I always say don't tell me there is no God when you seen the miracle of a human being and how they are made.

Jean: They did have a cat, but I didn't put one on the bracelet. I ran out of room! It will have to go on another one I guess. That's why I posted what it would look like using the pattern picture. It is a tighter knit so it would probably have been warmer, but I wanted a really open thin look so it would be cool and using the sock yarn and bigger needles accomplished that. I am just afraid of it rolling as it has stockinette at the top and bottom and that rolls. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

Time to go and check laundry and back to the sweater. Faye
Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Oh I didn’t feel real good yesterday at all for we must have eaten something that didn’t agree with our systems and I have narrowed it down to a hot dog we ate out. My system is cleaned out now from the Hershey squirts and I had a cup of chicken soup for lunch to help settle things down. It hit Will also so we both picked up a bug somewhere. It is hard to find out just where or “what” it was. We are OK now and have been working on the kitchen floor and are almost through. Got it laid down to the small area of the back door now. The biggest chore was pulling out the fridge but we had to get it out and clean under it anyway before we could put the flooring down in that area. What is done so far looks so good and we wonder why we didn’t do this years ago.

Will is across the alley now helping a neighbor with a project he is doing. He needed some of the tools Will has to help with his project so borrowed those and the owner. We can finish up the floor later.

Not anything planned for this day except the usual cleaning up the place that I do. While the dogs are out back I will pick up all their toys they have scattered about and put them in the basket then use the dust mop on the floor. These floors are so easy to keep clean and makes house work a lot easier for me plus they look so good. Next project will be painting the kitchen cupboards or refinishing the wood ~ just do something to make them look better for they really need a “face lift.” I certainly don’t sneeze like I used to do a lot in this house. Carpets harbor bad things for me. That motor home we are thinking of buying has these type floors. The present owners had the carpet removed and had this flooring installed and so we don’t have to do that. We did that in the last MH we owned. The “50’s” are long gone with their wall to wall carpeting “must haves.”

DONNA FAYE Sounds you have a viable solution to use to finish your sweater and have it look nice.

SUSAN in winning those tickets. I know you will enjoy the presentation. I loved it one time that I won a huge TV and we were able to gift it to a friend. The thing about winning that was that it made our income taxes go up that year.

JEAN Chopped up purple onions, celery, jicama, carrots, pimento, sliced water chestnuts and sliced black olives (or green), mustard & Miracle Whip are good in potato, macaroni or tuna salad. I like to julianne the jicama & carrots. I lighten the light Miracle Whip even more by mixing it half and half with yogurt cheese. If you don't like Miracle Whip you can lighten the mayo that way also. I don't put boiled eggs in the salad I take to a function but do use them occasionally in the salads we eat at home.

Have a great day Magnolias.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is raining sprinkles as I type, but so far have .17" according to the rain gauge. Every little bit helps. Bob set the alarm for 5:15; I was awake too, so got up to start my day. The "boys" were a bit confused because the deck was still dark and it's usually almost light when they get up. They are both taking a nap now. I've done squat nothing except fix an egg for a late breakfast and wash a load of clothes. I stripped the bed but Sonny is sleeping there so will put clean sheets on when he gets up. He's not too spoiled.

Susan -- on winning the tickets! I know you will enjoy the body exhibit! I just saw a picture on FB; the man was going to have his leg amputated and sent to Alaska for the cadaver dogs to practice with. Someone had taken a black magic marker and written "dog bone for Alaska" on the leg.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you figured out how to fix your sweater. I hope it turns out the way you anticipate, with no problems. I do feel better today although my nose is still running.

Maggie -- It's nice of Will to help the neighbor with his project. Bob's farmer friend always says how much he appreciates Bob's help; "two heads and four hands are better than one and two!" I grew up with Miracle Whip whereas MIL used "real" mayo in everything. I'm glad you like your floor.

I need to clean up my egg dishes and move on to get something else done. I should work on clothes but that doesn't interest me in the least. Wish I had yarn and I would start on Will's afghan. Darn! Hope you all enjoy your day, and getting rain if you need it.

Last edited by Jean; 08-24-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, wind is blowing, and we're supposed to hit 95 this afternoon. Great weather for a football game . . . not! Bob opted to skip church this morning; he says he's not going until we go back to our regular schedule in a couple weeks. I've done another load of laundry, "fix the tractor and farm clothes" so now the washer is going through the cleaning cycle. We'll head to Sioux Falls after lunch. The game is at 5:30 and I'm toying with the idea of checking yarn colors before.

I need to think about some lunch and what to wear this afternoon. We have a funeral tomorrow morning so have that outfit ready to go. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #10  

Good morning everyone. Here we go back up into the 90's again and it is going to be sticky too. Jack has one more weeK (this one) on the early schedule then they are going back to the regular one. That is if the supervisor told Jack the truth. He says most of the guys are going to be peeved because they like it. He despises it and says it really doesn't make much difference, which was to help with the heat. The heat doesn't get bad out there until around lunchtime so he says you are at work that time of day either schedule.

Weigh in today and am down another 3 lbs. I can feel my collar bones!

I have to get upstairs and clean bathrooms today and I dread it because of the heat. I forgot to tell Jack to leave the ac on when he got up. Oh well, it has to be done.

I am hoping those darn pants from JMS come today and my little pig for my bracelet. That will be in until this weekend when I ordered my necklaces and I have a bunch of makeup I want to get to take on the trip. I have had bags under my eyes for a long time and they drive me nuts. I googled how to make them not noticeable and found out how so I am going to get the stuff I need and try it. I have to say the baby lotion is working better than anything I have ever tried on my skin. My younger sister swore by it and has used it for probably 40 years.

Jean: Sounds like you adopted our weather. I don't think either way, wayyyy cold or hot makes a good football game. I think the hot is a lot more dangerous for the boys though. I laughed when I read fix the tractor and farm clothes. I got the "fix the tractor" and then "farm clothes" and got the giggles. When I reread it I understood it but the first time around I got the giggles. What are you making you need yarn again or are you still working on Beth's blanket? I am up to the shoulders on the back now and praying I have enough to finish front and back having used the heavier yarn on the back.

You all have a great start to your week. I need to get going and get stuff done. Faye
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Greeting a brand new day of 87°s that will climb to be in the 100°s before the days is through with the humidity at 46 degrees with no rain in sight. That is the weather forecast here in the ♥-Land. The animals are snoozing on various steps by the back door and Will is out running some errands. I am waiting for my teckie to call me and tell me how to make my printer the “main” one. I can’t find on this computer how to make it the “chosen one.” That position is checked by Will’s printer which is in his office. So when I want to print something it goes in there if I don’t forget to change the choice. I want mine to have the dominate position and that is what I need to find out how to make it such. I can’t figure out to uncheck his as the designated printer. Everything I have tried leaves the little check by his computer in the list. Weird thing is that my printer isn’t even listed in some of the places I have checked.

I have my thin bars of the Zumbar goat’s milk soap from Indigo Wild® in a real cute wooden slatted crate box which looks great in my bathroom with all of my other hand made regular sized bars of soap I have on a tray. I like using these thin bars for they do last a long time for hand washing & make my hands feel so good ~ clean also. The gal that owns the place where we get our hair cut is now carrying the product and that is great for I can now can get the product there or the web site (when they are having a great sale.) I love gifting this soap to friends. The company is in Kansas City, MO and their all-natural aromatherapy products thoroughly cover the body and home for they sell other items besides bars of soap.

DONNA FAYE for another good loss of 3 pounds. Keep up the good work and you will reach your goal a step at a time. The more you lose the better you look in your new duds.

JEAN I certainly don't envy you going to that game in this heat. Do you have one of those neck scarf things that you put in the freezer or fridge and it keeps you nice and cool? I still have my Battenberg lace sunbrella that I used to take to games and use when I was sitting where I wasn't blocking any ones view. Those were the games where folks brought lawn chairs because the stands were quite small in some places we visited.

Have a great day Magnolias.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, breeze is blowing, and we're supposed to hit 95 this afternoon. I counted money at church this morning and then we went to a funeral in a nearby town. The guy was 89 and Bob had gone fishing with him in Canada a couple of different times. He was a very opinionated guy and would often take the opposite view just to create some discussion. During the last election he made some comments about those in office as well as gun rights; the federal government officials visited him shortly thereafter. Needless to say he didn't go to Canada the next year. I picked up the gift shop money and have it ready for the bank; need to return a check to the hospital and then my duties for the day are done.

"Gma" -- on another 3#s gone forever! One of the football moms brought a good sized cooler full of ice water and wash rags for the boys to use when they weren't on the field. I was glad the game only lasted an hour! I'm going to make an afghan for Will if and when he picks out yarn. He's a Superman fan and wanted red, blue, and yellow but I said nix on that idea. I'm not counting rows and switching yarn colors unless I have to.

Maggie -- How about ordering some cooler weather and sending it my way? We are to be in the 90s all week. The soccer games for tonight and tomorrow have been postponed. I saw it on tv and then Beth sent me a text. I'd be curious to know of mothers got together and rebelled. There was a wind yesterday at the football game, and we had our backs to the sun so it wasn't unbearable for us. Some people have HUGE umbrellas that had zippered slits so the wind could blow through. They sat on the ground, mostly with little kids and babies. We take our lawn chairs and just leave them in the car for the season.

I need to head off to the bank. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #13  

Good morning to you ladies. Another sunny day here and I imagine it will be very hot by this afternoon.

I am still waiting on those darn gray slacks and hope they come today. Our spare bedroom looks like an explosion hit it with clothing, shoes, suitcases and all kinds of stuff. We laminated and put on the luggage tags last night so the bags are good to go. Jack printed out the cruise documents, which we don't need, but I feel better just having them. It is basically a bunch of information.

I have the back of the sweater done again and it looks fine. I am still nervous about whether I have enough for the front. If I can get the sweater knitting done and I run out, I will make the neckline and armholes white and it should look ok. I still have 30 rows for each side to do before sewing it up and then knitting on the neckline and armholes.

Maggie: I looked up the soap and they have some strange soap combos. Don't exactly know what dragon's blood is but it is mixed with the goat's milk soap. I am allergic to eucalyptus and patchouli, but love sandalwood so that sandalwood and citrus would be the one I would probably use. They are awfully expensive though. The ones I saw are like $7 a bar. Hope you enjoy yours.

Jean: You should buy yourself these little stitch markers that I have. I get them at my knitting place online and they are like little plastic safety pins. If you marked your row it would be easier to count. I don't know how difficult it is to change colors in crocheting. It isn't hard at all do to in knitting. We have these big sun umbrellas the year we bought them to go to Florida then had to change our plans because of a tropical storm. You connect them to the chair.

Well, gotta get going. We are having chicken and noodles tonight so I have the chicken going in the crockpot. I have to get dusting and vacuuming done this morning so should get to it. Have a good Tuesday. Faye
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #14  

Good morning girls. I turned off the ac for a bit, but doubt it will stay off long as we are expecting more of the 90's today. Jack says he is going back to regular hours on Tuesday no matter what anyone else does. Found out most of the early stuff is because the plant manager is allowing 2 hrs of overtime per day now so they come in early and work 10 hours and get off at 4. Only thing is Jack says because it isn't light at 6 AM no one works until 7 so they aren't working 10 hours but 9. He told his boss he is not staying on the early schedule and not working it next year either. They are given a choice and he tried to be nice this year and accomodate his boss, but it is too hard on him and since it isn't a demand he is working his regular hours during the summer months.

Sweater is finished except for stitching up and doing the neckband and armbands. I am washing the two pieces then will block them and probably next week sew it up. I am afraid it may be too big since I have lost weight, but we shall see. Like Jack said, too big is nice, but I told him too big is nice on bought clothing, but on hours and hours of knitting not so much.

This weekend we are having a meal with Kelly's family and commissary on Sunday. I am going to start picking up stuff like Lysol spray, handwash, stuff like that and put it aside for the trip and get snacks as I see them and commissary has them.

Nothing much else going on. Still waiting on those durn pants! Everyone have a good middle of the week. I think I am going to sit and read for a bit then get started on chores. Faye
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! Back to being hot and headed for 90 today.

Maggie, its easy to change the default printer. Just click in the lower right corner and choose Search from the side bar then Settings. Type in printer and one of the choices is Change Default Printer. Click on that and set the one you want. Search is your friend. It takes place of Control Panel for most things.

Faye, I knew you'd have your sweater done in time. Can't wait to see a picture! I don't blame Jack for not wanting to do the summer hours. I'm not like to work extra anymore either.

Jean I'd end up in the hospital if I had to sit out in 90 degree weather. You are good grandparents to go to all the sporting events. I'd stay home!

The Body Revealed was amazing. If it comes to a place near you, be sure to go see it. I always thought the stomach was kind of in the middle but its on the left side and next to it on the right side is the liver! It took us 2 hours to go through the exhibit and read all the info. Its just amazing.

Glory, Irene and I are going to the British Store a little later and then on to lunch, probably at Surf Rider. It's overcast so I hope it doesn't start raining.

Have a wonderful day!