Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Hypothyroid - synthroid scared

I see that some people on this board struggle with thyroid issues and thought I'd post for some guidance. I have felt that my thyroid wasn't right for years now, and have gone to drs and endos. My symptoms have been the typical weight gain, extreme fatigue, depression, hair loss, dry skin, brain fog. I've had bloodwork done that always came back normal and have been repeatedly told that it must be hormonal changes and "of course you feel tired, you have 4 kids and work full time." I know of other working moms who are doing just fine!

Anyway, yesterday my general practitioner's office called with blood results from my recent physical to say that my cholesteral is up, my thyroid is underactive and they'd like me to come in for additional tests and to discuss synthroid. This after I had put the thyroid stuff out of my mind!

Meanwhile I've been seeing a dermitologist to help with the hair loss. I am on a strong antibiotic and getting injections in my scalp and eyebrows once a month for the next 6 months to prevent further hair loss. I'm only 40 by the way, so that is why I am treating the hair loss with such agressiveness.

So I read last night that a side effect of synthroid is hair loss and that you usually have to be on it for life. I don't think I can do that - what if I lose more hair? What if the synthroid still doesn't work? What if I never lose weight? A friend told me that you lose weight at first, then it stops and go back to normal.

Sorry for the rant I just felt that people on this board might understand my panic. I realize that this is not the big deal I'm making it out to be - it's not life or death. Overall I'm healthy and know that I should be and I am grateful for that.

Last edited by cyndyjlo; 08-23-2013 at 09:49 AM.
cyndyjlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Not treating it is a much worse thing than treating it.

Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a number of health problems:

Goiter. Constant stimulation of your thyroid to release more hormones may cause the gland to become larger — a condition known as a goiter. Hashimoto thyroiditis is one of the most common causes of a goiter. Although generally not uncomfortable, a large goiter can affect your appearance and may interfere with swallowing or breathing.
Heart problems. Hypothyroidism may also be associated with an increased risk of heart disease, primarily because high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol — the "bad" cholesterol — can occur in people with an underactive thyroid. Even subclinical hypothyroidism, a more benign condition than true hypothyroidism, can cause an increase in total cholesterol levels and impair the pumping ability of your heart. Hypothyroidism can also lead to an enlarged heart and heart failure.
Mental health issues. Depression may occur early in hypothyroidism and may become more severe over time. Hypothyroidism can also cause slowed mental functioning.
Peripheral neuropathy. Long-term uncontrolled hypothyroidism can cause damage to your peripheral nerves — the nerves that carry information from your brain and spinal cord to the rest of your body, for example your arms and legs. Signs and symptoms of peripheral neuropathy may include pain, numbness and tingling in the area affected by the nerve damage. It may also cause muscle weakness or loss of muscle control.
Myxedema. This rare, life-threatening condition is the result of long-term, undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Its signs and symptoms include intense cold intolerance and drowsiness followed by profound lethargy and unconsciousness. A myxedema coma may be triggered by sedatives, infection or other stress on your body. If you have signs or symptoms of myxedema, you need immediate emergency medical treatment.
Infertility. Low levels of thyroid hormone can interfere with ovulation, which impairs fertility. In addition, some of the causes of hypothyroidism — such as autoimmune disorder — also impair fertility. Treating hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone replacement therapy may not fully restore fertility. Other interventions may be needed, as well.
Birth defects. Babies born to women with untreated thyroid disease may have a higher risk of birth defects than may babies born to healthy mothers. These children are also more prone to serious intellectual and developmental problems. Infants with untreated hypothyroidism present at birth are at risk of serious problems with both physical and mental development. But if this condition is diagnosed within the first few months of life, the chances of normal development are excellent.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

yes, usually you must stay on your thyroxine supplement for life. There is really no reason not to do this, or to be worried about it per se. When you don't make enough, you simply need a supplement. There may be a difference between the generic and brand name versions.
I too have been testing repeatedly, with no problems with my TSH levels, though I have the symptoms, minus the hair loss.
I can understand your worries about hair loss, but the med is more likely to halt or reverse the hair loss if its caused by low thyroid.
I am sure you will feel better soon with it, and with a bit more energy, you can put it into fitness and then won't have to worry about weight loss slowing. Best wishes,
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #4  

I don't want to scare you but I will say that I noticed my hair coming out worse with synthroid than before. I remember thinking, what the heck? the meds to stop hairloss related to my thyroid make my hair fall out?!!? I also got dandruff, which I've never had a problem with. It was like synthroid just irritated my scalp..

But it seemed to have stopped about a year after I was on it. I dont know if my being pregnant had something to do with it, but the dandruff and hairloss stopped, and they actually increased my dose while I was pregnant. I'm almost a month PP, and my hair is still in and my scalp is good. I will admit I'm a little nervous about those side effects returning, but hopefully they wont.
Unfortunately not treating the hypothyroidism as someone said is worse.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #5  

Thanks for all of these replies! I'm much calmer now that I have had some time to digest the idea of all this, and I spoke to a friend on the phone which helped.

Synthroid must be ok, it seems that there are many people it is helping. And it does say that the hair loss is temporary. The problems associated with hypothyroidism are definitely more scary.

Any advice for me as I embark on this new journey?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have Hashi's, an autoimmune version of hypothyroidism. I opted not to take Synthroid and instead take natural desiccated thryoid (mine is called Naturethroid). That's an option. My research on it led me to believe it would be a better option as Synthroid only contains synthetic T4 but the body has to convert T4 to T3 to use it. Some people have conversion issues and even after being put on Synthroid still feel like crap because their bodies aren't converting it. Natural desiccated thyroid has T4 and T3 in it. It's also inexpensive, vs Synthroid. If you have insurance that doesn't matter, but if you don't then it might.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7  

THanks, Eagleriverdee, I will look into that
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 275.4/258.6/200

Height: 5'1"

I have been on synthroid for 14 years approx. When I noticed hair loss I started a prenatal vitamin. Now I have long thick soft hair. Since I started juicing and taking fish oil my hair is now a little shiny. Good luck, you will feel better on synthroid

Last edited by NJChick78; 08-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
NJChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #9  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi, I have been on a low dosage of levothyroxine ( generic Synthroid ) for about 10 years. It does help, occasionally I get blood tests if the doctor orders them, but it has helped me to be on the medicine. I notice some shedding and more hair in my hairbrush than before I started the medicine but it hasn't been excessive, I have thick hair.

Please take care.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #10  
Jacksonville, FL

get treated, I almost passed out and was in hospital overnight, bp all over the place, no heart problems.....thyroid too high ! I am 10 days out on a lower dose of synthesis and feeling much better..hair loss if too high or too low! But ok when just right...
Deelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #11  
Thursday Lady

I have been taking Synthroid for about 9 years and have never had any side effects,
Please take care of yourself.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #12  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

So I hope I can give you a few words of hope. I too am hypothyroid. I've been on Synthroid for a year and three months and previous to my diagnosis, was severely losing my hair - so much so that I've worn wigs for the last 4 years. I noticed this summer that my hair is growing back.

Give it time : and you'll see your hair again. You'll notice some of the other symptoms dissipate too (tiredness, depression, brain fog, high cholesterol, etc). You might even begin to lose weight again.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I don't want to scare you but I will say that I noticed my hair coming out worse with synthroid than before. I remember thinking, what the heck? the meds to stop hairloss related to my thyroid make my hair fall out?!!? I also got dandruff, which I've never had a problem with. It was like synthroid just irritated my scalp..

But it seemed to have stopped about a year after I was on it. I dont know if my being pregnant had something to do with it, but the dandruff and hairloss stopped, and they actually increased my dose while I was pregnant. I'm almost a month PP, and my hair is still in and my scalp is good. I will admit I'm a little nervous about those side effects returning, but hopefully they wont.
Unfortunately not treating the hypothyroidism as someone said is worse.
My father used to suffered teh hair loss problems and then he found that a lot of people said that wearing the hair wigs can help to make the apperance looking better, so then we bought a Mens Wigs at hairwigsall for him and after using the hair wigs he just look as the same as before.

Last edited by RedlaFlizan01; 10-15-2013 at 11:33 PM.
RedlaFlizan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #14  
living in the moment

S/C/G: 100kg/81.2kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

hi, i'm also hypothyroid. i take thyroxine…no problem but i still have chronic fatigue
saraphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #15  
living in the moment

S/C/G: 100kg/81.2kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

oh yeah and a little hair loss, not too bad though. i can cover it. no eyebrows…i have them tattooed on !
saraphin is offline   Reply With Quote