Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/168/153

Height: 5'2

Default I HAVE to start Atkins. But I want to pitch a fit and cry.

Atkins is the way of eating for me. It just is. It's what my body responds to. I feel good when I eat low carb, I look good. Life is good.

But I HATE HATE HATE induction. I get stomach aches the first couple of days, constipation, etc. My body totally goes into revolution during the first couple of days on induction.

I have to start doing Atkins again though. I am huge. I am unhealthy. I am exhausted.

I have such a block about going through those first couple of days of induction that I don't even want to go grocery shopping for the foods I need because I don't want to look at and plan menus for those first couple of days.

Can someone help me? Or hold my hand? Help me plan the first 3 days?

(I started Atkins almost 10 years ago and have been on and off of that way of eating during my 3 pregnancies and postpartum periods. I am now 14 months postpartum and no longer nursing--last child!)
happyhoustonmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #2  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Welcome HappyHoustonMommy!!! You will have lots of support here!!! Many of us were not perfect on induction...my first time around took about 3 weeks to get into a groove. JerseyGyrl has lots of experience and will probably post on this thread. There are many of us here to provide encouragement!!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Welcome HappyHoustonmommy... Glad you have decided to get back on the wagon and get healthy again with a plan that works for you!...

Just thinking here.. maybe change the mind set. I know that the body goes thru changes when you eliminate Sugar, White Flour and all that Bad Carb Cr*p... so just think as your body is going thru withdrawls and y ou are experiencing the symptoms that you described.. its really YOU taking control again and not the carb chemicals! hhhmmmmm Those symptoms really are a sign of YOU WINNING the war! The best thing is too... you know that those symptoms are short lived and stop within days... days A few days is a small amount of time compared to the rest of your life....

I know that you have done this before... so you KNOW it works ! and just think where and how you will feel by this weekend if you start now!

You can do it! Oh yes you can! We all are here for you and you for us!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 08-28-2013 at 07:53 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #4  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Make up some egg muffins.. a big batch. I think they saved me during induction.

I also like to get Canadian Bacon and put into the muffin pan and then pour in the beaten eggs.

Last edited by melissakd; 08-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #5  
not looking back

S/C/G: 196/150

Height: 5'7

out with the bad...in with the good!!

Figure out what you have to do and just pull those big girl panties up! It sucks, life sucks....

Okay that works for me....tough love!!

My first week was headache, brain fog and bowel troubles. You know what your are in for so don't plan on a AC/DC concert or figure on doing your taxes or and buy some senokot. We are here for you

Last edited by smith1313; 08-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
smith1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/152/132

Height: 5'3"

OK, I'll admit, I'm a wimp who slowly eases my way into everything, but here is my two cents:

Would it help if instead of going "cold turkey" on carbs, you just went cold turkey on bad carbs and then reduced your good carbs more slowly? For example, if you started out still eating things like oatmeal and a few whole wheat crackers a day and gradually reduced that? That's how we are supposed to reintroduce carbs, so if it works at the end, why can't it work in the beginning?

Sorry if my post is misinformed, I've never done Atkins so if this is bad info, feel free to ignore me.
20lbtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

It's been a while since I read the book. But didn't the book say that it's OK to start in phase 2 instead of induction? You won't experience the large sudden drop in weight that some people get on induction, but you might find it more tolerable.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I'm on day three and I feel TERRIBLE. Also, I've gained like five pounds? That was not part of the plan. My head hurts, my stomach hurts, I feel pukey, my whole body aches. I'm miserable (and probably miserable to be around).

I keep telling myself to hang in and this will be behind me soon. The sooner you get started, the sooner you can stop dreading the Induction Flu and start feeling better. Good luck.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
I'm on day three and I feel TERRIBLE. Also, I've gained like five pounds? That was not part of the plan. My head hurts, my stomach hurts, I feel pukey, my whole body aches. I'm miserable (and probably miserable to be around).
You gained 5 lbs on Induction??? What exactly are you eating & drinking?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #10  

I know, right? I'm eating exclusively from the induction food lists, having my cups of salad, etc. I have no idea. I am drinking water. I'm doing exactly what I've always done on Atkins in the past so...no clue what's going on. I feel HORRIBLE. Like truly, I am giving this about one more day and then I'm out. I can't feel bad AND gain weight, that seems pointless. At least when you have the actual flu, you get to stay home in bed AND YOU LOSE WEIGHT.

Granted, it's been five years or so since I've really done induction but in the past, I could always do induction (and go back to it later on in the diet) and lose a good ten pounds in two weeks. I'm UP five in a few days. No bueno.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quite honestly, the way you say you're feeling and the weight gain doesn't sound like its from Induction. Are you on any medications? If you're feeling that poorly, maybe its time to get it checked out.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #12  

Induction is always pretty rough for me. I don't eat a lot of sugary sweets but I'm a big pasta, rice, and oatmeal person. I am trying to drink more water and I had forgotten about drinking broth (something about electrolytes that my brain can't quite explain just this moment). I'm going to see if those help. My blood pressure is fine, as is my blood sugar. I don't have a fever - just fatigue and generalized muscle aches.

I am fairly positive if I can just hang in a bit more, I'll get over this part and then I always feel SOOOO much more energetic and my skin looks great. I'm hoping the weight gain is water? Or as my husband pointed out, it's possible my start weight was just wrong. I weigh once and I'm done, the number is the number. He says if he weighs a few times in a row, depending on where he puts the scale (what is he DOING in there?), he gets different numbers. We just had this convo so that gives me hope.

Sorry this is all so discouraging or the OP, who is looking for reasons to start!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Guess I should consider myself fortunate, I never experienced anything close to Atkins Flu when I began this journey 9+ years ago.
The broth supposedly helps (something to do with the sodium). You may want to give that a try and be sure to keep hydrated.
The good news for the OP is, this does not happen to everyone and as you said, even when it does happen, once it passes, you feel great!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #14  

I feel much better today. Either I've outlasted the worst of it or the extra water and broth really helped! My husband, who lived with me last time I went through this, says that he usually figures if HE can survive MY induction for the first few days, we are in the clear So I guess we can add "moody" to my list of complaints
Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/168/153

Height: 5'2

Default Happy Update!

I am happy to update that I started Atkins last Thursday. Felt *somewhat* bad the first couple of days, but not as bad as I remembered. No constipation and my tummy is already flatter.

I'm pretty impressed because I also started my period (sorry if TMI) and usually I get super bloated and out of control cravings--but I didn't give in to a single one of them.

Your encouragement really helped me. I was at a very low point when I posted and knowing that you guys were supporting me kept me going.

So thank you all!

I DID IT!

Last edited by happyhoustonmommy; 09-01-2013 at 08:31 PM.
happyhoustonmommy is offline   Reply With Quote