Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #1  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Default Hungry!

When I do cardio for about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't increase my appetite. If anything, it suppresses it.

But when I do cardio over 40 minutes, I become ravenous! Does anyone have any tips for keeping this kind of hunger down? I ate dinner shortly after my workout yesterday, about 500 calories of healthy, whole foods. A few hours later though, I was ravenous!

Should I try consuming even more than 500 calories post-work out? Eat more before?

I'm wondering if maybe I should just keep my exercise under 40 minutes, since I mainly increased it for the calorie burn. No sense in burning more calories if I'm going to eat them all back and then some!

Last edited by crispin; 08-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

You said dinner was healthy whole foods, but what kind? I find after long cardio sessions or strength training sessions I need to have more protein and fiber and less carbs to stay satisfied. So I will avoid bread, pasta or fruit after these workouts and have a big pile of veggies and 2 or 3 servings of protein (usually grilled chicken, fish, or lean beef). the veggies fill me up and the protein keeps me full longer.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #3  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Thanks, pnkrckpixikat! I think you nailed it. I needed more protein.

I made breakfast for dinner - a veggie omelet with guacamole and some oatmeal. The eggs would've provided about 12 g of protein.

Time to stock up on meat, glorious, delicious meat.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #4  

You might want to try adding a protein shake also. I know what your saying so many who exercise complain about being hungry--(me too)--what helps is the protein--it keeps you fuller longer and more satisfied. But in the end--let's face it--there is no weight loss "without" hunger pangs getting involved. When your stomach shrinks because you're eating less--that's the success of weight loss. I wish someone would figure out a diet that could turn off the hunger pangs--but as yet--I don't think one exists, ha.ha. Also try drinking more water--sometimes we confuse hunger with just being thirsty.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I exercise at 5 p.m.. If I eat right before my workouts, I don't get much of a workout. But if I eat a meal at least two hours before a workout, one that includes a couple servings of non-starchy vegetables, a lighter protein (I like fish or chicken) and some healthy fat, plus plenty of water, I am not bumping into being ravenous right after the workout. I am hungry again around 8:30 p.m., and depending on the workout, I'll eat. After a cardio/weights workout, I'll have protein, fat and non-starchy vegetables. After a Pilates class, I'm relaxed and want to go to bed soon, so I'll have my treat, a few raw almonds, shredded raw coconut, an ounce of chopped dark French chocolate, all sprinkled on a cup of full-fat plain yogurt.

Once a week I exercise in the morning. It's my big two-hour workout, but I've eaten well the night before and I'm not really hungry. I'll do it all fasted, then have a really good lunch afterward.

When I first start a new level of exercise, my hunger does increase at first. But then I notice that within a week or two, my body gets used to it and my level of hunger goes back to normal.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #6  

I just tried something that worked for me to slam on the hunger breaks after a good cardio. Simply a scoop of vanilla Whey protein with a small glass of skim milk. Stir it up--drink it--and I only could eat 1/2 of my dinner--I just wasn't that hungry. So reading about it--it's important for us exercisers to do one of these each day. It delivers all the Amino acids we need for muscles--plus adds in a lot of vitamins--and that all important protein that stops us from over-eating after exercising.

I am going to keep it up--(1 scoop daily with skim milk--only when I am hungry) for the next two weeks, I'll let you know how I am doing. Some recommend that you drink one immediately after exercise--but I'll wait until I am hungry, which is usually 1 to 2 hours after cardio.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-20-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #7  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Kscott Do you have a favorite protein powder? I really like the whey powder Starbucks uses, but they don't sell it as a retail item unfortunately. I bought a store brand once. I had to return it because it was disgusting. Hmm, maybe I'll just get Starbucks smoothies. With my schedule now, I'm probably only going to have time for one long cardio session a week, so it won't be too pricey to go that route.

geoblewis Oh jee god, that yogurt concoction sounds heavenly and will be coming to a bowl near me soon. The past few days, for lunch I've been having some greek yogurt topped with walnuts and a small drizzle of chocolate syrup. So good, and I can't wait to try your combo. I'm curious if my body would also adapt to heavy exercise if I did it regularly, instead of it making me fantasize about running with cheetahs to catch and devour poor antelopes.

Last edited by crispin; 08-21-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispin View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Kscott Do you have a favorite protein powder? I really like the whey powder Starbucks uses, but they don't sell it as a retail item unfortunately. I bought a store brand once. I had to return it because it was disgusting. Hmm, maybe I'll just get Starbucks smoothies. With my schedule now, I'm probably only going to have time for one long cardio session a week, so it won't be too pricey to go that route.

geoblewis Oh jee god, that yogurt concoction sounds heavenly and will be coming to a bowl near me soon. The past few days, for lunch I've been having some greek yogurt topped with walnuts and a small drizzle of chocolate syrup. So good, and I can't wait to try your combo. I'm curious if my body would also adapt to heavy exercise if I did it regularly, instead of it making me fantasize about running with cheetahs to catch and devour poor antelopes.
I am good with the Whey protein right out of Walmart. I've almost gone through one of those huge jugs from there ha.ha. Yes I love the smoothies--so simple to make--everyone on this board has their own style of making them--some of which sound delicious--your's too, that I will try out. I am a banana freakazoid--as it helps your legs from cramping up after a good workout.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-22-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #9  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Ksott My body does seem to like whey protein a lot. I work at Starbucks and went through a phase when I had the smoothie with extra protein powder pretty much every day for lunch. (Free deliciousness!) I did that for a few months and felt really great on it. It seemed to reduce my appetite and kept my energy levels even. I don't work there as often now though. Buying them every day would add up quickly, so I'm definitely gonna invest in some protein powder for home. My tongue is scared to try new brands though. It still has horrible flashbacks to my local supermarket's brand. Stupid, picky tongue. Hmm, maybe Starbucks won't notice if a bag of powder goes missing from our inventory.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispin View Post
I'm curious if my body would also adapt to heavy exercise if I did it regularly, instead of it making me fantasize about running with cheetahs to catch and devour poor antelopes.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

syntrax nectar has some great flavors, I usually use the vanilla or the chocolate truffle and add flavors to it if I want, but I have hear the cookies and cream is good as well.

I usually find it at The Vitamin Shoppe but I originally ordered a sampler pack from http://www.bjsbariatrics.com/product/synSamplePack.html you can get 11 single serving packages for $15 and try different flavors

another option is flavorless powder to put in smoothies etc. Eithier way I would go for better quality than what you find at walmart. compare labels, if you go to gnc or another similar store ask them what seems to be popular

Last edited by pnkrckpixikat; 08-23-2013 at 09:20 AM.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #12  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Thanks for the rec, pnkrckpixikat! I'll look into that one after I run out of Designer Protein. I bought it a few days ago while out shopping. Flavor's kinda foul (I honestly don't think I'll like any protein powder that's not disguised in a smoothie), but man it sure is an effective appetite suppressant.