Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

I know there is a lot of threads about Fibromyalgia, but they are all quite intimidating and overwhelming to forage through. So, bear with me, but I started a new one.

I just turned 26 this summer. Since my diagnosis with Fibromyalgia I have regained all but 10 pounds of my lost weight. Went from 187 right up to 214. I feel so stuck and so defeated. My rheumatologist insists that exercise is one of the best things to do to help with the chronic pain and fatigue. I work two jobs, for a total of 60+ hours a week and am a full time college student on top of that, while trying to manage life with fibro without medicine/prescription drugs. My doc can tell me its what is necessary but has no advice for how to overcome the chronic pain and fatigue to actually get it going.

How did you find the motivation to move forward? I am extremely cold-sensitive. My body completely shuts down, to the point where walking is difficult some days. So with winter seemingly fast approaching, I am terrified that Im going to keep ballooning to the point I become a TLC special. I am feeling very stuck and hopeless at the moment. Any advice is welcome and sincerely appreciated!
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue are worsened considerably (if not actually caused by) sleep deprivation, stress and overwork.

You're burning the candle at both ends with your current schedule, which is going to make getting better very difficult, if not impossible.

Exercise is important, but (for me, at least), sleep and (low grain, low sugar) diet are even more important, but yeah sleep, diet, and exercise are the big three. Most of the fibro researchers and fibro patients successully managing their disease report that those three are key.

You get the motivation by knowing the alternative is to stay sick and possibly get sicker.

I didn't get that motivation until I became unable to work. I kept working the 60-90 hour work weeks for almost 20 years until it nearly killed me with fibromyalgia and autoimmune disease.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi blondebombshell

I, too have Fibromyalgia, I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I found that having the diagnosis was scary at first but then I was grateful that I had a diagnosis because I was 'in the dark' not knowing why I had all of these symptoms for so long.

A couple of books that may be helpful on Fibromyalgia:

By Shelly Bolton, Fibromyalgia, A Guide to Understanding the Journey

I have communicated with Shelly via email and I contributed to the book. It is on Kindle and it is very helpful. Shelly has Fibromyalgia too, I'm pretty sure and it is good to hear a book from a perspective of someone who knows about it first hand.

By Roland Staud and Christine Adamec, Fibromyalgia for Dummies

This is a book that I picked up at a B & N the morning before I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I had a pretty good feeling that I was going to be diagnosed, I looked at the book, came back to the store after seeing my doctor and getting the diagnosis, and bought it. For me, this is more of a basic manual for FAQS about Fibromyalgia, what it is and some helpful tips on how to manage it.

I can only imagine what you are going through right now regarding the new diagnosis. I have also heard from multiple rheumatologists that losing weight and exercise is very important in managing the condition of Fibromyalgia. It is an ongoing battle for me with managing my weight, I empathize with you. You're not alone in your struggle and I hope that you find the support you need.

Take care.

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote