Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #1  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

Default August Feather's Chat

Last edited by aspen13; 08-01-2013 at 11:06 AM.
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #2  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

This is going to be a busy month for me. I have three parties to prepare for my son's birthday. He has one big party, a family party, and a bigger family party. This year we also took the summer off from school, usually we homeschool year-round. We will be starting back-up mid August.

Anything big planned for your Augusts?
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone, thought I'd join in with the new thread. I've felt kinda homeless on the forum this summer and have just been lurking, since I've had a put up a bit of a mental block about pretty much being a featherweight and a maintainer now. Still, I really miss posting regularly in the 'getting out of the...' threads and I figured it was time to get over it and accept that I'm a featherweight now, no matter how strange it seems.

Aspen13, wow, three parties is a lot to plan! Good luck with that. Lol, I mainly hope to spend August recovering from last month. I took two trips (one for two weeks) and getting back into the grove can be hard. Its amazing how quickly things pile up at work and how easily you can end up a bit above your red line (In the low 140s now , going to work on that).
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #4  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

Did my eighth 3.1 mile jog today - 29:07, woot! On a wounded big toe, no less - tore it a bit yesterday doing lunges I guess. It feels like some kind of a milestone to be able to stay committed despite a mild injury; that or I've lost my mind! Managed to do two strength workouts this week that were very challenging without overdoing it.

Our anniversary was very nice, indulged in a dessert of deep-fried bananas and vanilla ice cream - so what?! It was worth it.

------------------

@aspen13: Oo, birthday parties! I love making the cakes.

@flashfacts: Welcome to the thread and welcome to being a featherweight! You've done an incredible job with your weight, kudos! I read your post about being in the land of the unknown; I can relate. Maintaining is a full-time job and we have to stay in the game to keep with it. That's why I keep logging in and posting! I don't know if I really belong here or in Maintainers, but whatever. Being here somewhere is important, I think, to staying focused.

Last edited by Cattails; 08-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

ack, I've been quiet because I haven't felt very successful lately and am waiting to get back under the "high" weight that's listed on my ticker, lol! Mostly because of a TON of social events and I haven't been able to get my "diet groove" on. My weight is a few pounds over my high weight on here. Weighed in at 152 this morning, but at least I had lost a pound since last week. AND I'm going on vacation in a few days for a week, so I don't imagine I'll be doing any active losing (I'm going to work hard not to overdo any eating so that I don't gain at least and I'm going to be able to get exercise in).

Hope everyone is doing well! Everyone is so quiet these days!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone,

I am back in NY for less than 24 hours before I head to Cape Cod.

Tennessee and Georgia were lots of fun! Went sailing, boating, to the Chattanooga aquarium, had a picnic at a park, had some drinks, caught up with old friends. I went to Planet Fitness w/my friend and ran on a treadmill at the hotel last night, food has been whack, but pooping has been INCREDIBLE. So much poop. No idea what I weigh. No real desire to know either. I doubt I have gained much fat.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello there! I'm back from Disneyland. We got home Friday night and I weighed in at 141--6 pounds more than when I left. The weight has been steadily coming off and this morning I was 136. I can handle that, but the initial gain was shocking. Of course, it had to be mostly water. But I ate all kinds of delicious, junky amusement park food. Got in lots of walking though (who am I trying to kid?) I go back to work on 8/21 and am just trying to relax and enjoy the last days of vacation. I also need to get shopping done for my kids to go back to school. I hope everyone is well and enjoying what remains of summer.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #8  
seeking balance

We sure are quiet lately on this thread! Must be having too much fun.

We're overcome with tomatoes right now - literally hundreds in the field! I've been enjoying yummy Greek salads with delicious tomatoes and cucumbers most days. Ambrosia melons are now coming ripe so my house is very fragrant - plus a few neighbors keep bringing us peaches from their yards, yay! Now if only I knew somebody with kiwi vines...

I'm trying to stay consistent with my exercise routines. I did my 11th 5k run (at home) yesterday, taking nearly a minute longer to complete than the previous run, for whatever reason. But I completed it, that's the important part, right?

Today my head's been a little floopy - feeling a little burned out, almost, on focusing on my health stuff so much. Not sure how to back off without losing too much focus; slippery slope and all that. I'm nearly down to the weight I was pre-kids at the moment, despite a few more indulgences than normal - how screwy is that?! I think I need to go shopping; shopping cures all ills.

Remember to look for the meteor showers!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

Hey Feathers,

Back from vacation, WI at 120.6 today which is one pound under my last WI 10 days ago. Interesting.

The Cape was fantastic. All we did was laze about on the beach and eat. I read a Star Trek novel and we watched seals playing on sandbars and ate tons of sandwiches, seafood, ice cream, rotisserie chicken and salad bar from the supermarket, lots of fruit and stuff too. Feels great to be back from camping with hot showers I don't need to put quarters into and clean (non-sandy) hair. I am looking forward to getting back to cooking and going to the gym - feel a bit flabby after a week off, but nothing I can't return to!

Cattails - we missed the meteor showers, agh!

Moving Forward - welcome back from Disneyland! I miss the excitement of back to school - as a working adult with no kids it's all the same old, same old...

olehcat - hope you've been enjoying all the social events!

flashfacts - you are most definitely a featherweight, time to own it!

aspen13 - three parties is massive. good luck with that, I'd be going nuts!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #10  

Krampus--Welcome back. Your vacation sounds wonderful. Wonderful you only gained a pound. It has felt scary stepping on the scale after each of my trips. I think you hit the jackpot. How is the new apartment?

Cattails--All of your tomatoes, cucumbers and peaches sound yummy. An abundance of healthy food isn't too bad of a crisis. Sorry you're feeling floopy. I agree that shopping cures all ills and ought to be in the plans.

Olehcat--Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling successful lately. It's tough with social events and vacations. You need to live a little still, otherwise what's the point? You'll get back at it when things settle down.

Flashfacts--Welcome! I agree with Krampus that you are definitely a featherweight now. I can relate to your "homeless" feeling on the forum. I felt the same way until I finally decided to jump in here and stop lurking myself.

Aspen13--Good luck with all the parties. My son is turning 13 on 8/26 so we have a party to plan for him too. I'm surpringly unfocused on it. Probably need to get at it. I'm not sure how you can do 3 parties. You're a better woman than me.

The weight from vacation is coming off quickly. I was down to 135 this morning, which is just fine with me. Such a relief. But--I haven't worked out in over a month. I've order the New Rules Of Lifting For Life and have committed to get going as soon as it arrives. I desperately need to get back into an exercise routine. I'm also starting to feel mild depression since my vacation is ending. Trying to remind myself to be happy that it happened, rather than to be sad that it's almost over.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #11  

I got back from vacation yesterday! Had a fantastic time in Arizona near the red rocks with my bff - lots of hiking, lazing around. We mostly ate our heavier food early in the day out at a restaurant but we did actually make an effort to be pretty healthy! We ate light salads in the evening with vegetables from the garden (we were staying at her dad's house).

Still, I don't feel like I lost any weight, but I don't think I gained either, which is a plus from a vacation. I didn't weigh myself this morning because when I got back I had to get carryout food since I had no food at home (must grocery shop this morning!) but based on how my clothes fit, I think things are around the same!

I did have a horrifying clothes trying on situation though. Oh, it was horrifying. And a real wake-up call. My friend and I went shopping for clothes at an outlet store that was near where we were staying because there was a major clearance and it was work clothes that we both needed. I was trying on stuff and there was a three-way mirror just outside my dressing room. It was a real shock to see myself up close and personal as big as I am right now. I seriously almost cried. I guess I'm still in some sort of denial that I still look as small as I did 20 to 25 pounds ago, lol, even though I know I weigh more. My friend chastised me for being hard on myself and saying awful things about my body and reminded me that I would never say that to her or any other friend, so why would I say that about myself? Good point and a good reminder!

So anyway, back from vacation and still have some social stuff to navigate, but I need to make the diet (diet as an lifestyle change, not "diet") a priority and somehow get around social stuff!

Oh, and I got really sick on the airplane yesterday. That's something that's never happened to me before, but I don't know what it was. I've flown a million times and never had an issue with motion sickness or anything like that. It lasted too briefly to be food poisoning or flu. But it was scary. I started to pass out and broke out in sweat all over and was really sick to my stomach. I worried for my seatmates! Anyway, that's like one of my big fears about traveling, is getting sick en route!

@Krampus - you rock, girl! All that fun on the beach and still maintained a low weight! I bow to you!

@Moving on - I have New Rules of Lifting for women and am intimidated by it. I feel like I need to start with something less advanced (for me) because I'm such a newbie at strength training. Let me know how it goes for you! I also am not a member of a gym anymore so I am totally at the mercy of my dumbbells. Great that your vacation weight is coming off quickly!

@Cattails - wow, you've really gotten down to a nice weight! I forgot how you said you lost it as my senile self is sure I've asked you before, but great job! And yummy tomatoes!!! I LOVE garden tomatoes!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

118.8 this morning after the gym and a good BM. I am becoming what I used to envy - someone who sits around on a beach eating all day and inadvertently loses weight! It felt so good to get back to running and lifting, I wore myself out pretty well. Will go back for more this afternoon I think, maybe a jog on the bike path.

olehcat - Aside from fitting room woes (no one likes it! I commend your friend for being supportive and cutting you off and not letting you dive into self-hate!) it sounds like you had a good trip. Funny enough my biggest fear of flying is being near someone who is sick. I have horrible emetophobia/anxiety when it comes to flying and I would need months of therapy to get over it. Flying to NYC from Taiwan via Alaska was the WORST - tons of families with little kids puking into paper bags at 3 AM in the waiting area of the airport, my worst nightmare.

Moving Forward Haha I actually lost a pound, and dropped 1.8 pounds overnight (I had fish fry and onion rings the last night of vacation). Glad your vacation weight is falling off so quickly - I'll bet exercise will help ease you back into "horrible boring daily existence" after vacation, too!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #13  

Krampus--What a careful reader I am! Even more impressive! Good for you for getting back into the exercise so quickly. I think you inspired me to get moving again. I'll put in a workout tomorrow.

Olehcat--Your plane situation sounds scary. I'm glad that was short lived. And it doesn't really sound like you know what it was. Weird. I'm glad you're OK. And I'm sorry about your horrifying clothes experience. Your friend was right on. I'm glad you listened to her.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #14  

So I changed my ticker to reflect post-vacation reality. I guess I did gain a few vacation pounds, although wow, I guess the damage would have been way worse if I had eaten/drunk like I normally do on vacation! This time was pretty light for me! You guys, I didn't even have wine the whole time I was on vacation! Also we hiked a lot. But I guess I wasn't careful enough during our heavier lunches.

The bad thing about all this is that I feel heavy around my gut. I really hope I can move this extra vacation/summer weight fast. I feel a bit humiliated because I told people at work that my goal for this summer was to lose weight (from 149 at that time, derr!) and instead I managed to gain since May. D'oh! Oh well, most of my colleagues are too self-absorbed to possibly remember me saying that, I'm counting on that at least.

My plan for right now is to primarily eat protein and veggies and healthy fat. I had eggs and veggies for breakfast (fried in olive oil). Plan for lunch is some kind of salad with chicken in it. Plan for dinner is a veggie/shrimp stirfry. One day at a time!

@krampus - 118!!! That's really awesome! Okay, I will freely admit I envy this, lol! Kidding, I know you worked hard to get to that point. Oh, wow, I had never heard of that fear of vomiting before I once taught a little girl who started crying a lot because she was afraid one of her classmates was going to throw up on her. I remember thinking that was the most bizarre thing until I found out that it was a real phobia that a lot of people have!

@moving - thanks, and I feel perfectly fine now, so some people have suggested that it might have been some weird vertigo/altitude reaction, although I've flown a million times and never had that kind of reaction.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #15  
seeking balance

@ krampus - Welcome back and kudos on 118.8 - you've got your body well trained to stay on track!

@ Moving Forward - Welcome back and kudos to you as well. Hope you're getting back to a 'happy place' - it's tough to come back to reality after a fun trip, isn't it?

@ olehcat - Glad you had such a great vacation! (Except for the plane ride, of course.) Regarding mirrors, they are evil lying things. Your friend is so right: it's important to be kind to yourself. There's far more to you than weight, size and shape. :hugs: Your plan sounds right on; eat and move for health and your weight will work itself out.

On that note, that's been my method - for the past 16 months I've been eating in a lot healthier way, mostly following the SB principles, along with some loose calorie counting and intuitive eating. That, along with trying to get in regular exercise, is my big secret! It's a constant challenge though; just hope I can keep vigilant despite life happening.

Today's not a very good day for me, I'm afraid. Arthritis flared up yesterday and has me achy and so stinkin' tired now, and that messes with my head - it's easy to get feeling really sorry for myself and tempted to indulge. But excess weight does NOT make dealing with this one bit easier, so I must take care of myself and maintain. Okay, venting done now.

Gosh, vomiting phobias? Growing up with two older brothers kept me from developing (or at least admitting to any) fears; they'd have had a field day with a phobia like that, harassing me on a daily basis!

Everyone enjoy your weekend.