General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #1  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Default I think I'm ready for this trip!

The husband and I are taking a short trip down the shore (NJ coast) this weekend and I'm a little nervous, but ready to take on my first vacation while getting back into healthy habits. I've been at it for a month and have lost 5 pounds from pretty much just cutting out the restaurants, fast food, and soda. He might've been fibbing, but my husband said today that he can already start to see little physical changes. He's a sweet liar if that's the case.

My folks are going to be vacationing with us and they are huuuuuge fans of eating out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't mind one or two meals out, but we've made a pact to ignore the peer pressure and do most of our cooking at the shore house. We're also going to ambush them with a couple of homemade meals.

"Well, good morning and SURPRISE WE MADE YOU BREAKFAST."

Vacationing with family can be tough, can't it? Anybody else stay with friends or family who like to eat out all the time? So expensive too, yikes!

I'm not sure anyone will even read this, but I'm going to report back next week when we return about how I did in thwarting my restaurant-loving family (and how I do on the scale too). Maybe it will help keep me accountable if I have a weak moment!
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #2  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

Have fun, and good luck!
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #3  
Slow and Steady

Thanks, fairandfree, have a great weekend!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Good luck and have fun!!!

Maybe suggest active things to do together instead of eating out? like sand volleyball and a picnic or something
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

I haven't eliminated eating out at all. But a lot of little things can add up. I went to a place recently that I had gotten fried catfash, salad with blue cheese, baked potato with everything, and toast before my changes.

This time I got grilled catfish, salad (bigger and with more veggies and oil and vinegar, broccli for the side, and no toast. Probably saved 500 plus calories at least. And made I thought a healthy salad.

I like the ambush idea also but not all is lost when eating out.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #6  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Have a good time! It's always more fun cooking in someone's else's kitchen, too. Maybe your hubs will help!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #7  
Slow and Steady

Finally got a chance to post, what a busy week it's been.

I'm really pleased that we stuck to our plan and ate out once at a very nice restaurant and otherwise prepared everything at the shore house. My husband loves to cook and was very happy to spend hours in the kitchen preparing tasty meals for us! We prepared for 18 hours in the car by packing a little cooler with sandwiches, fruit and cheese, etc. So much better than the fast food we usually grab on the road.

I walked a ton, indulged a bit, and only gained half a pound- not bad for 5 days on vacation! Plus we didn't argue over eating out or spend nearly as much money so my husband was able to relax and enjoy himself more this time too, I think.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #8  
Slow and Steady

pnkrckpixikat, you're right that other activities need to be put in place of the restaurants- that was one of our biggest challenges. My mom has a lot of pain/mobility issues and her only real joys in life right now are eating, shopping, and talking (and talking and talking and talking...) We made sure to sit with her a lot and she seemed to enjoy the meals my husband cooked because...well, she could talk to use some more!

diamondgeog, I agree that eating out can be part of regular life for a lot of folks and I don't intend to swear it off entirely either, but it was getting to be a daily thing and it wasn't working. So the break the past few weeks has been nice and has made me much more picky about where we go and I what I eat when I do go out. Plus eating out every day in an expensive resort town drives my husband nuts so this trip spared us the usual arguments over it.

(And I'm sorry if this should have been in another section of the forum, I'm still getting the hang of where different topics should be posted. )
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #9  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

We had the same strategy when we went to DC a couple of weeks ago. We hit up a fabulous farmers market our
first full day there and loaded up. We ended up eating 2 meals at the townhouse each day, and 1 meal out. It definitely saves money, you get to enjoy more time in the house you paid a pretty penny to rent, and it's healthier.

newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #10  
Slow and Steady

newleaf123, farmers markets in the summer are a big bonus when on vacation, yes! We also took advantage of all the roadside produce stands as we were driving around, you can't beat the freshness.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #11  

Have fun
jeboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Have fun!
My moms entirely family rarely eats at home. My very German gramma is the only one who cooks, and it's meat, potato and shepherds pie. And if it's salad, no veggies other than lettuce in it. A rare treat is tomatoes.
She also microwaves all vegetables. It's the only way she cooks them.
Sorta comical really.
They all get excited if I cook, but it's hard to feed that many people in her tiny kitchen.
I went there this last weekend, and we ate out every freaking meal, except one breakfast. I missed my hummus so much. I mostly ate salads, lots of salads.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote