Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 09:48 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Lightbulb OP Holiday Recipes

The start of the Thanksgiving/Christimas season is fast approaching and it would be great if we could come up with some OP recipes for simple suppers, holiday treats and of course for the 2 main events.

If anyone has recipes or meal ideas that are low-fat, low carb, vegetarian or good for whatever plan you are following please share so that we can help each other stay focused but still have fun over the holidays
Old 11-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Default Apple Cinnamon Cake

I think this is the one that Suzanne makes during the holidays - very good!

Apple Cinnamon Cake

1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup stick margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups chopped peeled Rome apple (about 2 large)
cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350*F. Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, margarine, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Bake at 350*F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.

Nutrition Information per Serving:

calories 281
total fat 8.5
sat fat 2
protein 5
fiber 1
sodium 234
carbs 46
ww points 6
Old 11-03-2003, 10:31 AM   #3  
Work in Progress

Brining a Turkey
This is a great way to add moisture to any turkey. I stuff the turkey with the fruit that I used in the brine instead of stuffing. It cooks quicker and I don't make stuffing. I only make one - two carb dishes for thanksgiving.
1 (10 to 12-pound) turkey
Soak the turkey in the brine, covered and refrigerated, for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels, inside and out. Place breast side down in a large, heavy roasting pan, and rub on all sides with the butter. Season lightly inside and out with salt and pepper.

Roast the turkey, uncovered, breast side down for 1 hour. Remove from the oven, turn, and baste with 1/2 cup stock. Continue roasting with the breast side up until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F when inserted into the largest section of thigh (avoiding the bone), about 2 3/4 to 3 hours total cooking time. Baste the turkey once every hour with 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken or turkey stock.

Remove from the oven and place on a platter. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.

Brine:
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
2 limes, sliced
6 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs rosemary

To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a non-reactive container (such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag.) Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.

Note: if you have a big turkey and need more brine than this, use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for every gallon of water.

I bought a small trashcan like for a bathroom, and lined it with a trash bag and then closed the trashbag and put it in the bottom of the refrigerator....I suggest brining for at least 12 hours....

Here are some alternatives for traditional thanksgiving dishes...

instead of sweet potatos -- mash butternut squash mixed with butter or margarine cinnamon and nutmeg and some splenda.....

instead of mashed potatos, try roasting red potatos sprayed with olive oil and rosemary, salt and pepper....less calories and higher glycemic count for low carb diets.

make cranberry sauce fresh...mix fresh cranberries with fresh orange juice, juice of a fresh lemon, throw in cinnamon sticks and sweeten to taste with sweetner. If you cook slow (cover it they will spit as they cook) it will thicken, stir often. You can add some thickner if you want it thicker, unflavored gelatin, arrowroot or corn starch.

Instead of that green bean casserole, cook fresh green beans and mix with fresh garlic slices, mint and salt and pepper tossed in olive oil. Serve at room temperature.

Serve a Spinach Salad tossed with a mild feta cheese, sliced fresh strawberries and either pecans or walnuts tossed in your favorite light vingarette, I make one with olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper, the balsamic is sweet and that brings out the tast of the strawberries.

I say don't be afraid to introduce new things to traditional meals....people will complain, but they will eat and they will like it. They will also not go into a food coma afterwards, and they will be grateful for that.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:25 PM   #4  

Default Sesame Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsps sesame seeds
Cooking spray

Flatten the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper to 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.

Heat a large skillet over medium-hight heat until warmed up.
Add the sesame seeds and stir constantly for about 1 to 2 minutes until the seeds are toasted. Remove sesame seeds from pan and set a side.

Spray the skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat-add chicken breasts and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until ligly browned on both sides and no longer pink on the inside.

In a bowl mix together the sesame seeds, soy sauce, honey and ginger. Pour mixture over chicken and cook for 1 more minute, turning the chicken to coat with the sauce.

Serve the chicken by pouring the remaining sauce over the chicken and witha side of minute rice and steamed broccoli and carrots or you can use frozen oriental mix veggies for quickness.

Serves 4

Chicken - per serving :
170 calories
2 g fat
0 fiber
4 WW points
Old 11-04-2003, 05:43 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Maple Salmon

Marinate overnight 1 pound of salmon with:
1/4 cup maple syrup
2(+) tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
heavy pinch of ground black pepper

Then, line your broiler pan with foil and broil the salmon a few minutes (I like mine pretty rare, so that's like 4 minutes on each side). Pour the marinade over the fish and it will carmelize into lovely crunchy bits. But it will also carmelize your pan so be sure to line it with foil.

2 servings
Old 11-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #6  
Work in Progress

yum jessica..
think we could use sf maple syrup with same results?
rb
Old 11-06-2003, 03:26 AM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Actually a friend of mine tried it with sf syrup and said it was runny but still yummy. I don't know if sugar substitute carmelizes so that would be the one thing I would watch.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:27 AM   #8  
Imagine...

Broccoli & Cheese Casserole

Ingredients:
2 pkgs (10oz ea) frozen broccoli spears
1 cup (1/2 Pint) LF sour cream
1/2 cup (2 oz) grated LF cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
Salt and pepper
Paprika

Cook broccoli according to package directions and drain well. Place in shallow baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients; spoon over broccoli. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake in 350ºF oven for 20 minutes.

Hollandaise Sauce For Broccoli or Asparagus

Ingredients:
1 Cup butter at room temperature
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp water
3 egg yolks
salt
white pepper

Cut butter into 1" pieces. In a small, heavy saucepan combine lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water and reduce over high heat to about 1 tablespoon. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon cold water. Beat egg yolks lightly and whisk into lemon water. Over low heat, whisk the butter - one piece at a time - making sure that each piece of butter is melted before adding more. Continue to whisk the sauce until it is thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Asparagus with Garlic Cream

1 container ff or lf sour cream (8 oz)
2 TB skim milk of half and half
1 TB white wine vinegar
1 TB extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 lbs fresh asaparagus

Stir together first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover garlic cream, and chill 8 hours.

Snap off tough ends of asparagus, and cook in boiling water for 3 minutes, until crip-tender; drain.

Plunge asparagus into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Cover and chill 8 hours, if desired.

Serve chilled asparagus with chilled garlic cream. Sprinkle with additional pepper, if desired.

Asparagus Roll-Up

4 slices of LF ham
4 slices of low-fat Swiss cheese
2 cans asparagus spears (12 fresh, steamed or boiled)
1 cup low-fat sour cream

Place a slice of cheese on top of each ham slice. Put 3 asparagus spears on top of each. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Place in casserole dish, seam side down, and spoon sour cream over each roll. Bake 15 minutes at 350 F.

Asparagus with Lemon-Mustard Sauce
8 Servings

2 pounds asparagus -- trimmed
1 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
2 TB fresh lemon juice
2 TB prepared yellow mustard
2 or 3 teaspoons Splenda -- to taste

Steam asparagus til tender, about 5-8 minutes. Plunge into ice water; remove when cool and drain. Whisk together remaining ingredients in small bowl and let stand for about two minutes, then whisk again. Taste
and add more splenda or lemon juice as needed.
Serve asparagus at room temperature or chilled, on individual plates with the sauce spooned on top

Easy Broccoli with Cream Cheese Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
16 ounce bag of frozen broccoli
1 packet of low-fat cream cheese (or cream cheese substitute for Phase 1)
1/2 cup of Land O' Lakes half and half
1 tablespoon of Smart Balance spread
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cook broccoli according to directions. Place cream cheese, half and half, lemon juice and Smart Balance
spread into dish. Warm in microwave at 50 percent power for 3 minutes. Stir, repeat another 3 minutes
until it reaches the consistency of a med white sauce. It will be lumpy whisk until smooth.

Last edited by sflake; 11-07-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #9  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

?

What's "OP"?

Peace and puzzlement,
~VOW
Old 11-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #10  
Imagine...

Op is "on plan" or "on program"
Old 11-07-2003, 03:51 PM   #11  

Yes, we are trying to have a fun, healthy holiday without pigging out on on the wrong stuff
Old 11-08-2003, 05:09 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

The only sugar substitute that I know of that carmelizes is Somersweet. I think I read about one other...maybe Diabetisweet?
Closed Thread