Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/144.8/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Vitamin D deficient?

My doctor had recently ordered bloodwork done, along with a check of my Vit. D. It came back as severely deficient. My doctor put me on D supplements.

I know that this is one of several vitamins that is stored in body fat; but the others either were not tested for, or were okay. I guess what I am trying to figure out is whether this deficiency is temporary during weight loss due to amount of weight I have lost, or will I struggle with this beyond the loss?

Anyone else have this problem?
Breakofday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I also have low Vitamin D, but it's been that way for the last 5 or so years.

Have you ever been tested before? There's a good chance that you were deficient before but didn't know it.

Sunshine is a source of Vitamin D so if you live somewhere with a lack of that and/or you don't spend enough time outside that could make you low also.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Most people in the US are vitamin D deficient. We are inside too much.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #4  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

They also believe Vit D is beneficial to weight loss (as well as a ton of other health issues). My neuro has me on 50k IU a week as part of my MS treatment but Dr Wilkerson was just talking about the weight loss advantages to Vit D in one of the recent videos.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #5  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakofday71 View Post
My doctor had recently ordered bloodwork done, along with a check of my Vit. D. It came back as severely deficient. My doctor put me on D supplements.

I know that this is one of several vitamins that is stored in body fat; but the others either were not tested for, or were okay. I guess what I am trying to figure out is whether this deficiency is temporary during weight loss due to amount of weight I have lost, or will I struggle with this beyond the loss?

Breakofday: I'm also in Washington State, over on the west side where sunlight is a rare commodity and I tested as severely deficient on Vit D. My doctor put me on 50,000 units once a week for 12 weeks and then recommended 2,000 units a day after that. She's going to keep checking it but said it's probably a long-term issue but one that is easily remedied.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakofday71 View Post

That would be a better question for your doctor, but obesity actually is cited as a CAUSE of vitamin D deficiency - not the other way around. Causes of vitamin D deficiency have more to do with things like age, sun exposure, liver/kidney function, absorption in your digestive tract. It's hard to say why you are deficient without knowing a lot more information, which is why your doctor can probably speak more intelligently on the subject.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

A LOT of people are deficient in vitamin D, especially women!
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196.5/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I am vitamin D deficient and I get out in the sun with and without sunscreen. This was prior to starting the program. I was also drinking milk and eating other vitamin d foods. I take 2000mg per day per the doctor and I do feel better.
Alamo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Almost everyone who lives in North America, especially far North (like Washington, or New England) is Vitamin D deficient. Even people who go outside a lot in the sun but where a lot of sunscreen are deficient. Not to say we shouldn't wear sunscreen! It's definitely a must, especially for someone very pale like me. But putting on too much can be a problem for absorbing Vitamin D. I have not been tested but I am quite sure I am deficient too, and I have been thinking of buying a multivitamin to cover Vitamin D and other nutrients I probably could boost
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #10  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

I was tested last summer and found to be vitamin D deficient, too (which was long before any weight loss happened). I now take 2000iu of D each day and feel better for it. It is just another component of my twice-daily vitamin salad!
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

I am deficient and have been for 4 years. I take 5000 units a day in addtion to one 50,000 iu wafer I take once a week. It's what works for me. Only a Dr can tell you what to try and monitor the results. Best of luck (:
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/236.8/147

Height: 5'7"

Last fall I had bloodwork done and my D level was at a 7. Before I started taking the 50,000 units for 2 months I felt so lethargic. I would look at the scooter things in stores and wish I could ride in them instead of pushing grocery cart. I started the scrip for the D and started the initial ID program and quickly lost weight and felt so much better. When I had to stop the program I didn't regain, maybe the D helped with that, plus a better understanding of what food does to the body as well.
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Western Washington State here too!! I turned up severely Vit D deficient a couple of years ago. I did the replacement doses through my doctor and it was amazing how much better I felt - in fact I never realized how tired I had been until I was feeilng "normal", and now I take 10,000 units once a week. That seems to hold me at a good level. I was supposed to have bloodwork this week but have postponed it because I want to weight till my weight is gone and then get a "new" baseline.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/153/140

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My vitamin D was down to 15 last year, but from being faithful about taking vitamin D I have been able to bring it up to 54.
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #15  

Vitamin D is another area where the Natruopathic Docs & Functional Medicine docs were way ahead of the MDs. Part of this is the difference in training. Vitamins & nutrition really aren't part of the curriculum for MDs. The ones who know have sought out more training.

Those of you who "know" me probably think I'm an MD-basher. Not so. They're great for what they're trained in. Have a traumatic injury? Go to an MD. Have an infectious disease? They're your folks. Acute medical condition? Again...MD. (this is not a complete list!)

I've just learned, over time, that for more chronic issues, the more holistic, natural approaches coupled with lifestyle changes backed by knowledge (and MDs don't really understand the lifestyle change b/c it is isn't in their training) comes from the Naturopaths and the Functional Medicine folks

For example: I learned about Vitamin D many years ago, before conventional medicine was talking about it. Then the pharmaceutical companies developed a pill and suddenly all the docs knew about it too (a lot of post-medical school education for doctors comes from the pharmaceutical companies). But what I learned is there are 2 kinds of Vitamin D. In a nutshell, one kind (D3) is more absorbable for people. My sources told me the Rx wasn't D3, it was D2. So, people & insurance companies were spending $$$$ on something that could be had over-the-counter for product more efficiently absorbed in the human body.

I shared this info with a friend of mine about 5 years ago. She had super low D. She'd been on the Rx & her doc couldn't figure out why her levels hadn't increased. I sent my friend some research I had done (from a variety of sources since I'm not a medical professional). She went out and bought some D3 gel caps. Her very next blood test, the D levels had increased and by the one after that they were well within the normal range! She shared the info with her doc and now her doc tells people to buy the over-the-counter pills instead of the D2 Rx. I'm not sure what dosage the doc suggests and only blood tests can tell for sure what dosage works bests for each individual.

Just thought I'd share what I've learned. If you don't know your Vitamin D level, it is probably a good thing to have checked because the majority of us are deficient. Our indoor/covered-up lifestyles just don't give us the sun exposure to create our own anymore. And our bodies become less efficient at creating it as we age, as well. I've become more resistant to colds and flu since my Vitamin D level has been optimized (there is "normal" range and then there is optimal). Now, if I could just find the right vitamin to stop me from hurting myself (I'm such a clutz!)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote