Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Default Walking to Running

Hi everyone,

Recently I had put up a post about going to the gym as an overweight person looking for tips and general boosting of self esteem. Even though the replies were really encouraging, I finally didn't go (entirely because I'm lazy as ****).

Happily, though, I finally got off my *** today and decided that doing something was better than nothing, so I went for a brisk half an hour walk and found that I really liked it (the area is beautiful, the people are totally in their own worlds).

Anyway, I'd really like to go to this place everyday if possible. Right now I'm really unhealthy and haven't exercised properly in years, so I can't even jog without my legs paining a lot. Because of this I've started out with walking. I have two basic questions about this.

First, is walking (along with a healthy diet) enough to lose weight and at what pace?
Second, how should I move up from walking to running?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.2 / 199.2 / 140

Height: 5'5"

The weight loss is mostly about diet. Any physical activity is a great bonus. So, yes keep walking if you enjoy it!

For moving to jogging, I recommend Couch to 5k. It's a program that has intervals of walking and running. At first the running intervals are short. The program slowly lengthens the running intervals and shortens the walking intervals, until you are running 5 km (3.1 miles) without walking or stopping. Best wishes!
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I totally agree with Kal El -- for me, weight loss is almost exclusively about what I eat (and don't eat). Eating well is the most important part. Exercise is a bonus.

A walking program is a wonderful way to get exercise. And yes, you can spring board from walking to running (I did, years ago). After I had been walking for a while, I did the Couch-to-5k program to start running. There are several programs like that available, so if you google you'll find plenty of options!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #4  
Jiggly Member

S/C/G: 220/195/140?

Height: 5'2"

I'm very similar to you - lazy and in terrible shape. As Kal El said, diet is the most important part for losing weight. For me, while diet can make you thin, exercise can make you fit. I don't want to be skinny and unfit.

Since I'm prone to excuses I'm starting with exercises that just use my body weight. No need to go anywhere and no equipment needed. Right now I'm concentrating on squats as it was one of the few exercises that I could actually perform a few reps (pushups were a big fat no-go). I'm using this site - 200 Squats (oops not enough posts to allow a link just search for 200 squats and it will come up) to work up to 100 squats which is enough for me right now.

Walking is great and big props to you for doing it! It is very hot here now in Florida. I've started trying to work in some walks. There are some Leslie Sansone walking videos on YouTube that you can use to walk indoors when the weather doesn't cooperate.

When it cools off here, probably late October, I'll be doing the C25K program. If you decide to do it, perhaps we can be virtual running buddies.
Stay Puft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #5  

Sure it is--but remember above all else--no one really needs to exercise to lose weight.

Exercise is to get you in shape and keep you healthy. Exercise is great for the description of what shape you are stating you are in. It speeds up weight loss also--as long as your not consuming more calories than you are burning. The important thing about walking--a casual walk in the park is not exercise. One trainer mentioned that 3 women he met on the trail everyday--(while he was jogging)--he saw everyday for 3 years--and between the 3 women who met for a casual 2 mile walk everyday--didn't lose a pound between them. You have to push yourself even when you're walking to really accomplish anything.

Everything is going to hurt--if you haven't exercised in decades. Those muscles are going to scream--hey--what are you doing to me--I am used to sitting on the couch--and you're pushing my limits here. That is to be expected. Eventually that pain will go away as your muscles get accustomed to walking.

Right now the way you describe yourself exercise is critical for you. As far as your goal to start running--don't do it now--try increasing how far you walk each week--and walk as fast as you can for 2 to 3 minute intervals then slow down to normal speed until you catch your breath and then speed up again while pumping your arms and repeat through-out your walk. You'll find that you will be able to walk farther--longer and maintain a faster speed. The goal is to keep your heart rate elevated for 20 to 25 minutes per day. Your Metabolism will kick up into high gear--your endurance will dramatically improve--and at that time you can start doing a walk/jog. Set realistic goals for yourself to keep you motivated. Example--a 5K in your future--6 to 9 months from now.

I don't know where you live--but if you live in colder areas in the country where this cannot be accomplished during winter-then it's time to swallow your fear and walk into a gym to get on a treadmill or buy one for your home. JUST NEVER QUIT. Do not stress if you cannot take a walk every day of the week--every other day is fine--two days in a row--then one day off--so your muscles can recover is just fine. Just be consistent with your walking.

Remember you didn't get out of shape and overweight--(overnight)--that took years to do. Consider exercise a "life-style" change--meaning something that you will do for the rest of your life--and realize that it will take time to get back into shape to where you feel comfortable. At that point you get addicted to it, because you feel wonderful doing it. The quote: "Move it or lose it"--is the truth.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-21-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #6  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveVegetables View Post

First, is walking (along with a healthy diet) enough to lose weight and at what pace?
I think walking is an excellent exercise for weight loss. Being a low intensity exercise works in its favor because it's less likely to increase appetite.

About 10 years ago, my brother lost 100 pounds. The only exercise he did was walking every day. And I mean every single day. He started out at about 30 minutes a day, but after about a month moved up to 60 minutes daily, and then moved up to 2 hours daily. It took him a year to lose the weight. (He also counted calories.)

I lost about 40 pounds in about a year and half by walking an hour about 4 times a week. My weight loss took longer because I really wasn't focused on dropping pounds. I was focused more on eating more healthy and being more active and just had faith that weight loss would be a consequence of that. I only occasionally counted calories. Diet-wise, my focus was more on I guess what would be called intuitive eating, but I also forced myself to reduce my portions even when my intuition said my ice cream serving should be larger. Oh, and sugar. I cut that out as much as I could and increased fiber and healthy fats.

So, yes, walking is absolutely enough to lose weight. The pace will depend on how much you walk and how much you eat.

Not only is walking enough, I sincerely believe that it's an ideal way. It really is great exercise, good for the body and mind.

I'm not going to answer the next question only because walking is so awesome and I don't want to treat it like something that should inevitably be dumped for running. Running, pff, thinks it's so hot & sexy.

Seriously though, I love running too but once you start walking regularly, you may find that you don't even desire making that transition and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I lost my first 60 pounds through diet alone and walking a couple of miles everyday. Walking does help you run if you push out the distances.

I did not do the couch to 5k to start running. Instead I started running as far as I could. I think my first run was half a mile. I kept doing that every day or every other day and kept pushing the distance out a little more as I could. So 3/4 of a mile, then a mile, then 1.5 miles, then 2 miles. Get comfortable with every increase in distance before trying for more.

I now run 5 miles every day. It is great exercise. It plays havoc with my weightloss though because of water from sore muscles and (I assume) some muscle gain. So expect more volatility on the scale. But you will be fitter.

Last edited by IanG; 08-22-2013 at 06:19 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I lost my first 60 pounds through diet alone and walking a couple of miles everyday. Walking does help you run if you push out the distances.

I did not do the couch to 5k to start running. Instead I started running as far as I could. I think my first run was half a mile. I kept doing that every day or every other day and kept pushing the distance out a little more as I could. So 3/4 of a mile, then a mile, then 1.5 miles, then 2 miles. Get comfortable with every increase in distance before trying for more.

I now run 5 miles every day. It is great exercise. It plays havoc with my weightloss though because of water from sore muscles and (I assume) some muscle gain. So expect more volatility on the scale. But you will be fitter.
Agreed--You have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable which then leads to success.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I agree with you Crispin. Walking is excellent. I live in an area with alot of retirees and I've seen some of them lose alot of weight and improve their overall health dramatically just by eating better a starting a gentle walking program.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/107/107

Height: 5ft 3 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveVegetables View Post
Hi everyone,

Recently I had put up a post about going to the gym as an overweight person looking for tips and general boosting of self esteem. Even though the replies were really encouraging, I finally didn't go (entirely because I'm lazy as ****).

Happily, though, I finally got off my *** today and decided that doing something was better than nothing, so I went for a brisk half an hour walk and found that I really liked it (the area is beautiful, the people are totally in their own worlds).

Anyway, I'd really like to go to this place everyday if possible. Right now I'm really unhealthy and haven't exercised properly in years, so I can't even jog without my legs paining a lot. Because of this I've started out with walking. I have two basic questions about this.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.
i love walking to a good fast pace, with ipod music on..to the beats is quite good..hoping to walk in the morning to work i think the faster the better
carloujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

Skipping is really good preparation for jogging. Both are hard on your joints at first and I always got shin splints, ouch. I've always wanted to jog but after ending up barely able to walk from painful knees I decided it's more important to be able to walk at all, LOL. Good luck, I admire anyone that can jog any distance.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #12  
diamondgeog

I think most people need exercise to lose weight. Study after study shows long term success is MUCH more likely with diet AND exercise.

I think way more yo-yoing happens when just dieting. The synergy is profound. Your metabolism revs up with exercise, it regulates my appetite, as mentioned above being fit is so important. It is awesome to feel strong. Muscle helps you lose weight all day long. Your heart and lungs can't be healthy without exercise no matter what you weigh. It helps with mood, stress, and energy. People say it is the ultimate 'drug'.

Can't imagine a weight loss journey without exercise. And the chances of success go up many fold with exercise. Fit and a good weight is best. But fit to me is the most important.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 09-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 251/179/155

Height: 5'8"

I've lost almost fifty pounds since May. I used to run, swim, lift weights, etc...then just stopped around the time I turned 40. I'm now 51, and during the years in between, I gained almost 100 pounds. I know the stereotype is the fat person eating cake all day, but that wasn't me. I just stopped exercising, and basically put on ten pounds each year.

I decided that was enough, and started restricting calories and began a walking program. Just 30 min at a leisurely pace. After about a month, I started walking a little faster ( maybe 3mph). In the last month, I've added jogging intervals. I still only walk 30 min, but at the end of every fifth min, I jog for 30 sec. I think I will probably increase the intervals to 40/45 sec soon.

As you can see, I'm losing weight and not killing myself in the process. A friend told me that the best exercise is the one that you will do! The same thing doesn't work for everyone. Choose something that you can stick with now, then when you're in better shape, you will want to do more. Stay on your own time schedule...not somebody else's!
DeannG is offline   Reply With Quote