Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Default progress: first quarter in maintenance

This is a melancholy post. I am posting my 3 month summer progress. I have been keeping measurements and wanted to see how maintenance was working out for me.

My output: Averaged 3 days a week at the gym plus swimming with my boys and other house activities. The weights and gym are new to me for the summer.
40-50 minutes elliptical/cardio.
15-25 minutes weights/ planks/resistance
Diet: Average 1600 Calories and 20% protein
Measurements lost in 3 month time: Bust -1, Under Bust -1, Waist -.25 Hips -1.5

Weight loss in 3 months: 6 pounds, total since Oct. 2011: 86 pounds ( I was not expecting loss as I was assuming I was in maintenance. )

I am a little annoyed that I lost 1.5 inches off of my hips and only .25 off of my waist. It makes my rectangle figure even more pronounced. I feel perpetually 5 months pregnant. I guess I expected a little more trimming to happen with weight lifting and less pounds lost.

I feel like I want to continue fitness but need to figure out weight training and resistance activities that do not include the gym and are not extensive . (My summer membership expired and I don’t care to be a gym rat as I can't afford it.) I walk my boys to school daily. I also need to figure out a calorie allotment for light to moderate exercise.

Any suggestions for me? I am not sure I need to lose any more weight. I really hesitate to go below 139 even though I would still be considered good weight. My fat level needs work. I am assuming more weight lifting is needed…..Can anyone post resources for nongym resistance.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I do Jillian Michaels. The "No more Trouble Zones" and her Body Revolution program contain a lot of strength training with weights (and rubber band). I think her 6-pack program, as well, though I have not done it yet. Good overall training for all muscles. Mostly 30 min (NMTZ is closer to 50 min). I am also hoping to evade the rectangular shape. I like more curvy.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Non-gym resistance - we (DS/DH/me) like the body-weight programs that don't require any equipment. Matt Furey has a very good one that builds truly functional strength fast.

I can also recommend Dr. Mercola's PEAK fitness program for effective fat-burning. I haven't done it personally because I've been overwhelmed this summer with getting ready for a 10-mile run, but intend to get it kicked off in September to go along with more swimming. A friend of mine started in June and has taken off 8 pounds of fat, and built 2 pounds of muscle, doing nothing but the PEAK program.

Congrats on the loss and successful first quarter!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #4  
Workin' It

I saw more noticeable waist slimming when I was eating 100+ grams of protein per day and doing a lot of yoga, kickboxing and body weight work. I think that the weight lifting caused me to actually build mass around my midsection, and I know it made my thighs larger - I have stretch marks from after weight loss.

Sounds like you have done a great job this first quarter, though not exactly what you were looking for. Keep it up.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #5  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Sounds like pretty killer "maintenance" to me!

As for the waist thing, what kind of strength training exercises are you doing? One thing to keep in mind is that there are some that can increase waist circumference, like weighted side bends... sometimes women do them thinking they're slimming their waists, but the most they're actually doing is adding size to their obliques. Building up the butt and chest/shoulders will do much more to help get an hourglass, but of course we're also at the mercy of our genes!!

Congrats on the success!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #6  
8 mos maintainer

S/C/G: 212/154/154

Height: 5' 7.5"

I only do bodyweight exercises like pushups and squats, even deadlifts are unloaded. I do use a bar for practice pullups. I used to walk or exercycle, but I'm finally learned why running was hurting my knees so now I'm working that in. In the past I've used Joyce Vedral workouts, which use small or no weight.

P.S. I actually have a lot of weight equipment, but I like getting it done in the living room where I can keep an eye on the toddler.

Last edited by TriciaV; 08-20-2013 at 11:33 PM.
TriciaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

My ab work (as is all of my work) is very elementary. Crunches, planks, leg lifts mostly. I think I'm not sure about what I'm doing. Perhaps I will try a video or two and see if I can memorize a routine. I wish I could afford a dance class!

I am happy to be maintaining, don't get me wrong...I just expected some slightly different results.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote