General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Default embarassing things that you can't get over?

I remember in 10th grade I was rather overweight and unpopular. I skipped a lot of school as well. This particular day I didn't skip school and went to gym class. We were going to play dodge ball. So we lined up on the wall and the teacher picked a male and female captain. The females were to pick their group first and the males went second.

So I sat there waiting to be picked. No one chose me on the girl side. I stood there like a complete loser as the boys began to pick their groups...being the only girl left out not even chosen by her own sex. Of course the boys teams didn't pick me either. I was the last one, I wasn't even picked. No one noticed me like I was invisible. I was so embarrassed. Especially that they started to pick the boys AFTER the girls team was over. So I just stood there like an idiot.

Then I ran to the bathroom and broke down and skipped gym class.
iixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

That is awful! Kids/teenagers can be so cruel. Wish I could say adults are better but I hope you are around better people now!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

iixi that had to be so hard, and I understand how that would stick with you. For me, not long ago, I ran into some of my former students, ones I had years ago, and I could see by their expressions and the way their eyes seemed to search for the old me in here that they were just thinking, "OMG, what happened to you?!" Back in the day, I weighed 145. When I saw them, I weighed 210. I was really embarrassed and felt the need to apologize for the fact that they could barely even recognize me. But I held my tongue, Still, I will never forget the looks on their faces. I can only hope that the next time I run into a former group of students, there will be no reason for me to feel ashamed of the way I have let myself go, because I will be back down to a healthy size!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I've had many awkward and sad moments in my life, too. I always felt (and was) unpopular. It's made loving myself that much more vital..
I hope the present is better for you than the past was.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Oh Gosh hun I'm so sorry that happened to you
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 226/174.6/160

Height: 5'6

I can relate 100%. The inability to get past how cruel kids are is currently getting in the way of me being able to let go enough to start a relationship with someone. And I'm 28. Its been 15 years.

In 7th grade, while certainly not as overweight as I ended up being but still rather chubby, I had a boy ask me "out". We were boyfriend and girlfriend for about a month but I told him I didnt like him anymore. I did like him but had to stop things because his friends would moo at us in the hallway because of my weight. I've never been able to get over that and feel like I'm damaged because of it.

Last edited by KellinaKatrina; 08-18-2013 at 10:16 PM.
KellinaKatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

When I was in 10th grade, I walked out of the classroom to use the restroom. As I was walking, I had to pass a group of fellow students who were working on an art project. As I got further down the hall, I heard the cat-call whistle, and turned to look. They all looked up and started laughing at me, saying "why would we whistle at you?"...apparently they were whistling at something else...either the project they were working on, another person, etc.

I went to the bathroom, held in my tears because my face stays red for hours, and dreaded the walk back to the classroom, knowing I'd have to pass them in the halls again. I held my head up high, though, and held in my tears until later that night when I was alone, and bawled until I had no more tears left.

As much as it hurts me to remember this story...in fact I can remember that very pain I felt when it happened...I use it as motivation. There will be a 15 year reunion coming up soon, and gosh darn it I want to show them that I deserved that whistle! And I kinda want to see how they look...I doubt they are as attractive as they used to be.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

That is sad I have a few things too but as the years pass and I have matured and gained self-confidence, it no longer bothers me as much. Also, I have been at goal for almost 13 years(120lbs gone) with the exception of two of those years where I regained 30 lbs.

I remember being weighed in 6th grade. Our weight wasn't called out but my friend next to me asked how much I weighed. I really wasn't fat just chubby and I guess I didn't know this because when I said 111 lbs, she couldn't believe I weighed over 100 lbs. She pointed to my thighs as being fat.

I did a semester in Quebec as part of my major. I lived with a family there. One day during dinner time, my wooden chair broke and I ended up on the floor. I was very much obese at the time. Apparently that really affected me. This summer, I sat in a chair my husband had repaired(or tried to) and it broke on me. I was/am at goal. I still started crying and couldn't stop. How embarassing.

I lived on a rural road in VT. My mom and I were losing weight and about half way to our goal weights. We passed a piece of paper anchored in the road by a rock. I picked it up. It said "Look at those #%$! heifers." We know who put it there. It was a crazy neighbor.
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I remember being in 7th grade during class, we were all sitting cross legged on the floor listening to the teacher. I was wearing shorts. A group of athletic girls (popular, pretty, and mean) were giggling at me and were saying "look, she has wrinkles on her legs!!! ewwww! hahhaa!" They were referring to the cellulite on my legs. I haven't worn shorts ever since then and that was 25yrs ago.

Getting picked last for teams happened to me throughout grade school and I wasn't more than 10lbs overweight. Kids are mean but in my mind, gym teachers were even meaner. They did nothing to intervene when I wasn't picked in a team. They did nothing to help me when I felt too uncomfortable and defeated to participate in most games and activities. Looking back now and being a teacher myself, there's so much that they could have done to inspire me, motivate me, help me, encourage me and help me. Picking teams is awful, why couldn't they assign teams for once! Why did they only pay attention to the athletic kids? I have major beef with the gym teachers of this world.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I can't really think of anything specific that happened. In elementary school I was teased for everything though. I tended to be the heaviest, the tallest, the youngest, and the smartest in every class. I even skipped a grade. To top it off I had 1 class a day in the resource center (dyslexia and speech therapy, I said R's as W's as a child).

I also SUCKED at PE sports. Really anything that required running. I am pretty sure I have exercise induced asthma but we never had money to go to the doctor so it was never diagnosed so I "had no excuse" to suck other than "laziness" according to the PE teachers.

By 5th or 6th grade learned to blend in, to become friendly with everyone, and avoid ANYTHING that could earn me more teasing.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 28st12lb/22st12lb/12st00lb

Height: 5ft9in

I know how you feel. I was unpopular and I hate school and I hated PE. I never got picked - I was always the last one and which ever team I went on they really didn't want me on there team - and than which ever team I was on I never got a look in - like with netball, I could go the hole lesson without touching the ball coz none off my team mates would pass it to me. I stopped doing PE in the end - and the teacher didn't even care.
Liz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #12  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

Gosh, endless stories for me!

In school, I was constantly teased for being fat. I hated when guys would fake ask me out, though I was relatively popular. I was probably 250lb and elected for homecoming queen! It wasn't a Carrie moment either. I had to make sure of it. I ended up losing, but was still a homecoming princess.

It was out of school that I felt the worst about my weight. I've had little kids ask why I was so fat, or if I was pregnant. I had my ex-fiance' break up with me because he wasn't attracted to me anymore. I had a lady lecture me in Wal-Mart about my choice in cereal and I didn't know her from Jack. At a company picnic, we were playing kickball. I kicked the ball, and was going to run but someone ran for me because they didn't want "Big Sammy" to slow them down.

The most devastating one is my inspiration though! I was about a year into my weight loss, and I had regained some of my weight back so I was at about 290. I met a guy from OKCupid. We hit it off, very well. We became intimate, and then I checked his twitter the next day because he told me to look at a funny joke about Santa on there or something a few days earlier. To my humiliation, he had put on twitter about how he hooked up with a morbidly obese chick to see what it would be like. He referred to me as a marshmellow with tits. He said even if I was morbidly obese, I was still good in bed though. This EMBARRASSED ME so bad. We had a date scheduled for the next evening which obviously I canceled, and I sent him back a picture of a marshmellow with drawn on boobs just so he knew that I knew. He apologized for hurting my feelings and that was that.

My revenge is going to be sending him a picture of me looking AMAZING, and let him wish he never said those words.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wow, this thread really touches my heart. I feel sadly for everyone who has posted on it. People can be so mean. I was teased mercilessly in school and then sexually harassed in grammar school, it is something that I still have trouble making peace with, that it wasn't my fault. That was a really rough time for me, I was away at grammar school which was a boarding school and my parents were hundreds of miles away getting divorced. I cried so many days and nights, and I felt so depressed at such a young age.

Through all of this hardship, including difficult relationships, I may not have realized it at the time but so many of this experiences made me the strong woman that I am today. I wouldn't go through them again or wish them on my worst enemy for anything, some experiences leave emotional scars. I guess for me it is true 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.' I still have a hard time with a lot of my past, I was diagnosed with a mental illness in my late teens and I have a lot of physical issues too, but somehow I try to believe in myself and have faith. At the time, I found solace and peace in horseback riding, I had a thoroughbred for four years and I miss that so much, he died a few years ago after my father sold him back to the barn where we bought him. I found out about his death via an email, so insensitive and I know his death was brought on by negligence. I didn't mean to go on a tangent there but, I have found more peace in music throughout the years too, I play guitar and that soothes my heart. So does swimming and writing and talk therapy is helpful too, although I would like to wean myself off of it, I have been in it for awhile.

What I am trying to say is that I have found a variety of coping techniques that help me, although I haven't found anything to 'erase the pain.' Believing in myself and in God helps.

Thanks for this thread, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Thank you all for listening.

seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
There will be a 15 year reunion coming up soon, and gosh darn it I want to show them that I deserved that whistle! And I kinda want to see how they look...I doubt they are as attractive as they used to be.
I skipped my 10 year reunion. I was pregnant and felt aweful. However, since highschool I had always maintained my highschool weight (which was 160lbs, not that heavy for 5'6") or got even lower. With the exception of prengnancies, but I've lost the weight every time.

Anyway, thanks to facebook some of my friends posted pics and your know what, pretty much everyone got fatter! Seriously I even saw some pics with the "popular" girls in them and they were all fat! Most of the "hot" guys pudged up too....gees, I said to dh I'm one of the only people that has maintained my high school weight, lost all my baby weight each time and a year and a half ago was thinner than high school!

I think you'll be surprised to see that most people don't look as good as they did in high school,, that high school was their "peak" ...but what if you were fat and plain in highschool?? Well then you have now where to go but up!! lol Seriously, it feels good to know my looks and life did not hit its all time high at 17 years old, I'd much prefer to be attractive now.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 08-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 28st12lb/22st12lb/12st00lb

Height: 5ft9in

I had people not want to be friends with my coz am fat.

Also had people talk about me behind my back but so I can hear what they are saying about and me being me I just sit there and listen, my heart breaking inside but trying not to show it on the out side.

This is one reason why I haven't gone to weight watches/slimming world or the gym, I know some people would be nice to me, but its the ones that wouldn't be nice and would say things behind my back but knowing I can hear thats puts me off.

Sadly I've been hurt to many times that if someone is nice to me I don't think they really mean it.

But so far you have all been lovely to me on here (thank you). :-)
Liz31 is offline   Reply With Quote