General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default How to fix a bad blister?

So last week I went running with what I THINK was a bad pair of socks, although I'm not sure. I developed a BAD blister, a huge one, right on the ball of my foot. It was bigger than two quarters in size. I tried to drain it but it didn't drain well and then the skin tore on it. I clipped the skin off, which typically has worked well, and used moleskin, bandaids and athletic tape to secure a sterile covering with extra cushioning over it. I let it be exposed to air at night, which typically works, and it was healing just fine.

So today I covered the big blister and went for a run. I felt fine through the run up until the last 5-7 minutes and even then, it only bothered me a bit. When I got home and took off the covering, it peeled off another 2 layers of skin (stuck to the padding) of what had been a second deeper blister underneath the healing first one.

This one HURTS even worse!! I've covered it all day but I've had to be on my feet most of the day. I've limped around the best I could do but it HURTS to even stand on it because it's right on the ball of my foot.

All the advice I find online says to let the blister stay covered by skin and let it heal. But the skin is off and it's raw down to nearly the blood. So now what do I do? Obviously I won't be running tomorrow but I will be on my feet a lot. Any ideas?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #2  

Eek! That sounds really painful. I would go to the doctor before it gets infected. Also, they make bandages that are non-stick, try them instead of the gauze kind.

Hope your foot heals soon!
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Yep, that's my vote too. Go to the doctor. My brother had a huge blister on the ball of his foot which turned into a wound that wouldn't heal. However, he's a type 1 diabetic, so he doesn't have good circulation to his feet, but I'm afraid the whole ordeal has colored my view of really big blisters. I would play it safe.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #4  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

How old are your running shoes? -- I just got 3 nasty blisters because I wore my walking shoes for too long.

In a meantime try the advanced healing blister bandaids. They are marvelous.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

thanks guys my running shoes were bought last January and are/were good quality then...ive used them about 5 times a week since then, putting on about 2-3 miles per day....im too tired to do the math lol

I will go to the doctor at the first sign of infection....in fact that's why I keep it covered, to prevent infection, only airing it out at night while asleep...but i'm familiar with infections etc and am trained in first aid so I will definitely go in if I need to
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

What about soaking your foot in epsom salt?

If that doesn't work, you may just have to rest the best you can and if infection sets in, its time to visit a physician. Good luck!
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #7  

What's changed from last week or last month to your last two runs? Route? Socks? Detergent or softener for socks? Shoe laces? Lacing (pattern/tightness)? What else? Have you been trying to change something in your stride?

The Fixing Your Feet blog (http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/blog) should have resources for blister care. (Turn off images in your browser before going there if you're grossed out by messed-up feet.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #8  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

I always have the best luck when I allow blisters to be exposed to the air whenever possible -- which will mean staying off your feet quite a bit! Sounds like you've got a real doozy. Hope you heal soon!

Just a tip - When I do particularly long walks/jogs - 5 miles or so - I wear 2 pairs of socks - one really thin pair next to my skin, and another regular pair. It's worked so far for me.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I had one like yours and had to pause hiking for about two to three weeks until it did not hurt anymore. Be careful because shoes often have strep. I once got blood poisoning due to a blister I "walked" for a day. I now tape my feet.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

You need new shoes .
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #11  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

When you say the ball of the foot do you mean the side or on the sole of the foot. If it is weight bearing you will need to be off it and elevated as much as possible.

As kids we used methalayted spirits or rubbing alcohol to dry them out. Hurt like all shades of pain, but was effective. These days I find the gel bandages for blisters. They stay on for a few days at a time and tend to proved a pressure padding as well. They wear off eventually and blisters generally heal well under them, for me at least.

When I had a nail removed (roofing not toe) from my foot the doctor used bandages to build up my heel height and across the front of my foot so when I stood on it the wound did not bear any weight. It was un comfortable and I limped worse, but it was the only way to prevent the stitches from bursting under the pressure. Not sure if that would work for you.
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #12  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Okee I did the quick math, and you have put around 350 miles on your shoes. -- I think you just need a new pair of shoes. Running shoes only last 300-500 (if lucky) miles per pair.

They are telling you something; time to get a new pair and leave these for gardening
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275.4/258.6/200

Height: 5'1"

Doctor and polysporin. It helps the cell grow in and cover the wound.
NJChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote