Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #1  
Nothing is impossible

S/C/G: 296/Ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Cool I Hate Exercising!

Like it says I hate it!! There is a e-card I saw once that said, "I exercised once, but found out I was allergic to it. My skin flushed and my heart raced. I got sweaty and sort of breath. Very dangerous!" That is me in a nutshell. Have any of you found something that you like to do? I would go swimming but I find it uncomfortable to be in a swimsuit in front of everyone Any suggestions?
SouthernBell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #2  

Most people hate exercising (at first)--and once they become accustomed to it--they won't stop--because they feel so much stronger physically and mentally. They're happy and they don't want to give that up. Everything improves including their self esteem.

We learn to wear our sweat as a badge of honor. I would suggest that you read an existing thread on this board under exercise--titled: "Do you workout because" In that thread you will find all you need to know as to why others--regardless of weight--or concerns about what they would look like to others got off of the couch and started exercising.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Walking (and Hiking) has always been part of my enjoyable exercises. Most days, I go walking but in the heat, sometimes I'll walk in place inside while watching tv. I also like lifting weights because I think it is fun but I may be an odd one

Other fun things I like include kayaking and biking. Sometimes I like dance classes but I'm not doing any now.I think the way to look at it is it is good for your health and we are meant to move so find something that you enjoy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #4  
weight room rookie

S/C/G: 267/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
Most people hate exercising (at first)--and once they become accustomed to it--they won't stop--because they feel so much stronger physically and mentally. They're happy and they don't want to give that up. Everything improves including their self esteem.
This. I used to exercise just because I figured I could outrun my fork (before I started to clean up my bad eating habits.) Now I head to the gym because no matter how crummy the day might have been or how tired I might be, I'm always in a better mood/mindset after a workout.

If you hate exercising, what do you like to do? Do you like to dance? If you're afraid of people gawking, turn up the music and shake it out in the privacy of your own home! Do you like to bike? Make a point to hop on and go for at least five minutes a day. Do you have kids/have friends or relatives who have kids? Chase them around the yard for a game of tag or indulge your inner 5-year-old by running around the playground with them.

Exercise isn't "you must do This Type of exercise OR ELSE." I don't know how to swim very well, so I stay out of the pool. I detest treadmills because I can never keep a good running form on them and tend to wobble to one side, so I walk/run outdoors. I absolutely love feeling stronger and the confidence boost lifting weights has given me (because once you realize that you can lift x amount of weight, it feels like you can do just about anything) so I lift four days out of the week.

The point is, do what you like. If you pick something that you hate to do and that you have to force yourself to accomplish, the chances of you sticking with it long enough to see progress are slim to none. And if you do like swimming, then wear a shirt and some shorts on top of your bathing suit. There's a lot of ladies at my gym that do the same. Ask the attendants at your gym what's allowed. And while you're asking, check to see what sort of group classes are available. It might so happen that your next favorite thing is something you didn't know was offered.
Issaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #5  
Nothing is impossible

S/C/G: 296/Ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for the replies. I know I need to find something and I will its just a matter of getting up the courage to try new things. I walked a bit on the treadmill today so at least I did something
SouthernBell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Why not buy a pedometer? They're not expensive and you can just challenge yourself to beat your steps from the day before. I find it very motivating.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBell02 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know I need to find something and I will its just a matter of getting up the courage to try new things. I walked a bit on the treadmill today so at least I did something
And see--you just lapped everyone that was sitting on the couch by just walking on a treadmill.

I agree--find something you like to do and you'll stick with it. There are plenty of suggestions on this board--even video's you can buy if you fear what someone else is going to look at you like--(which is really not reality anyway.)
It's just that first walk in the door that induces fear--the second time you walk through that door--(no fear.)

Last edited by Kscott; 08-13-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #8  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

What do you hate about exercise?

I ask that because different exercises feel differently. So, perhaps we can help brainstorm what you like if we know what you dislike.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I swim (more move around in the pool than actual laps) because it doesn't induce the "allergic reaction" you describe. You don't feel sweaty and gross in the water.

I FORCE myself to take a yoga class. By force I mean I look forward to it up until I get in the door. At my weight it's an endurance sport, and I feel gross all the way through. But man do I feel amazing when I finish!

I hated all exercise when I started too, but now I crave it, and I don't function well if I stop (A month off put me in a bad depression and binge eating tailspin). It's worth it to start!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #10  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

If you hate it don't do it...see how much better you feel NOT!!
Keep trying different things something will spark you fun bone than get good at it and you will find you want to do more. Don't expect to much to soon!! Stat small and add. I use to be a couch potato Now I love it all! Started with like 3 min on an elliptical with headphones..felt like I was dancing...it was my start.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Walking, Zumba, and I just started Hip Hop Abs! I do the Zumba on the Wii and Hip Hops Abs are dvds.

I hated exercise. I was in pain and miserable!!

Now I actually look forward to it and was running for a while, too!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #12  
Started IP March 2013

Default Excercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBell02 View Post
About 15 years ago I got into the habit of doing the elliptical machine and loved it. Then I got married, had kids, and am just coming up for air again. I think I hate exercise but in the back of my head, I now I enjoyed the time to myself and felt oh so much better. I looks like you are doing fantastic at weight loss, and I bet if we both add in just 20 mins a day...we may find we like it by the time fall rolls around.
Aksarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #13  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

I found nothing worked to motivate myself. I'd always start an exercise program and give up. One thing that has helped me this time is that I told my husband to nag and insist that I do exercise include setting it up for me. I told him I really want to get fit and I desperately needed help. So far it has worked.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #14  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

I HATE exercising too, but I do it.

That's the thing - people ask me if I exercise and I say yes, but if people asked if I liked exercisiong, I'd say "HE|| NO."

I actually did an entire article on myhate of exercising, but I still do 10ks, 5ks, endurance bike events and triathlons.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

I don't exactly love exercising, but I don't hate it. I think I dread it mainly due to the crazy thoughts I have. The ones that go along the lines of, 'They're all going to laugh at you' from Carrie. I don't know why, but I have this crazy notion that people are going to look at me and poke fun because I am 300+ and exercising.

Funny thing is, I can understand a few cracked jokes because last night I saw my back reflected into another mirror and it looked like I had ocean waves on my back
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote