Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #1  

Default Optifast. Oh, it works.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I stumbled across it looking for after-weight loss surgeon recommendations. But, now that I have found this wonderful site, I plan to stick around for all the good advice and support.

With that being said, I decided to seek out others who lost their weight as I did using Optifast. To my chagrin, it seems that not many on these boards have tried it, and there seems to be some very negative talk about from those who only "know someone" who did.

Optifast is like any other weight loss solution, it works under the right circumstances. If you take Optifast, and eat pizza at the same time you are going to fail. It isn't magic, its hard damn work.

I started on Optifast weighing 356lbs in October of 2010. I did it at the San Diego Positive Choice clinic, which is currently the only provider of Optifast 70. Why Optifast 70 is exclusive to San Diego seems to be some contract they have with Nestle, as Nestle would prefer to not produce 70 at all.

When I started in 2010, it was my second time on Optifast. The first time I flamed out in 2 weeks because I didn't really want to be on the program. Kaiser would not authorize bariatric surgery without being on Optifast for 6 months, so I got discouraged and put on 50 more lbs before finally coming back around to Optifast.

When people ask me how I did it, I tell them about Optifast and I tell them how HARD it was. I didn't eat anything for 8 months. I never took a single bite, or sip that I wasn't supposed to. I also worked out a regularly. I really credit support group, and my counselor for providing the tools I needed to succeed. By may 2011, I was down to 168 for a total loss of 188lbs.

It has obviously been almost 2 years since I lost my weight, and I still hover in the 170's.

If you are thinking about Optifast, know that it works if you are ready to put in the work. Even if you have to use Optifast 800, there were plenty of people in my group who were on that as opposed to 70 and still lost a ton of weight. In fact, of the 18 people that started with me, 8 of us made it to our goal weights. Some sooner, me later When you are dealing with people 100lbs+ overwieght, a nearly 50% success rate is astounding.

I still struggle in my relationship with food, but taking a long break from eating allowed me to develop a new understanding of my demon. I don't think there is any other method that can so drastically alter your perspective on food, than not eating for months.

I will try to dig up some before pictures if I can find any. I really didn't like having my picture taken back then.

Also, if anyone has any questions about Optifast, please feel free to ask.
Darwin503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I am on HMR, which I think is similar to Opti. What is the difference between 800 and 70 on Opti? On HMR, 800 means 800 calories per day. I am currently on HMR 800. It's hard to believe that 70 could be 70 calories per day...

I'm glad to hear of your success. I found my way to HMR (started just 4 days ago) after a demotivating weight loss plateau. I lost 65 lbs with diet and exercise but from October to January gained 7 lbs back. I knew if I didn't take serious action, I'd gain it all back plus more.

I am hoping to lose another 35-50 lbs with HMR and then remain in their maintenance program for as long as I need to. One member has been in maintenance for 12 years. For most it's about 18 months I hear.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3  

Optifast 70 is 80 calories per packet for a total of 400 calories per day, while the 800 is 160 calories per packet for 800 calories per day.

I have used 800 on my own to help with maintenance, and I can say that weight loss on 800 is pretty similar to that of 70. The major difference is taste. The 70 tastes awful (especially now that orange is discontinued), while the 800 is palatable.

I hadn't heard of hmr, and looking at their website I don't see a liquid only option. Are you on liquids only, or is there food involved?

Good luck with your journey!
Darwin503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin503 View Post
Optifast 70 is 80 calories per packet for a total of 400 calories per day, while the 800 is 160 calories per packet for 800 calories per day.

I have used 800 on my own to help with maintenance, and I can say that weight loss on 800 is pretty similar to that of 70. The major difference is taste. The 70 tastes awful (especially now that orange is discontinued), while the 800 is palatable.

I hadn't heard of hmr, and looking at their website I don't see a liquid only option. Are you on liquids only, or is there food involved?

Good luck with your journey!
I am on what they called "decision free" which can be made up of shakes, pudding, oatmeal, chicken soup, and their pre-portioned entrees. You can choose whether or not to include entrees in your plan, but you must either eat 2 entrees every day or no entrees. I'm not eating entrees because I prefer the taste of the shakes and oatmeal to the entrees. I don't care for the soup, either. I usually have 3 or 4 shakes a day and 1 or 2 oatmeals. I'm just finishing up the first week though, so that may change if I get tired of what I've been doing

Last edited by Underwater; 02-19-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #5  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Congratulations on your success. You are an inspiration! I'm very curious about these sorts of diets but I have sooo many questions and insecurities. I've heard of optifast but know almost nothing about it than that it is a shake diet. Can you provide information on protein, carbs, nutrients, etc per shake? I attempted to do medifast once, I still have 11 days of it in my closet and I keep daring myself to give another try. It did not go well (I was a college sophomore at the time), I had never been that hungry before. LOL. Is it really safe to consume only 400 or 800 calories a day?

How did you handle going out? I feel like if I was a complete hermit I could do these kinds of diets - my slip ups are always pressure by friends, co-workers, my husband, family, etc. I feel embarrassed to say I'm on a shake diet (especially if a week later I fizz out and quit) and I would feel awkward turning down all food at family gatherings or out at a restaurant after work with co-workers. I mean when everyone is having a 99 cent margarita I feel left out, and not going at all makes me feel even worse. Ha. I know the point of that diet is that it's HARD, yes, but that would be one of my biggest hurdles. I care too much about what other people think. When I've had shakes for lunch at work I just want to eat my lunch in my car, I have such nosy co-workers and I'm a private person.

I'm also worried about how this will impact my exercise routine. I have plans to train for a 5k and beyond. I've tried to exercise with the tank on empty before and it results in frustration and exhaustion.

Since you do optifast under medical supervision, do you have any insurance coverage? Oh yes and I'm also curious if you don't mind sharing a ballpark of what one could expect to pay between the meals, meeting with dieticians, etc.

Any input is encouraged. I'm really wanting to drop the first half of what I have to lose as quick as I can without jeopardizing my health.

Last edited by JollyGreenSteen19; 02-23-2013 at 04:10 PM.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #6  

I've been waiting for the OP to answer, but I guess she isn't checking the thread often.

Here is the nutrition information for the shake program I'm on:
http://www.hmrprogram.com/index.cfm/.../HMR_800_Shake

It is safe to consume 800 calories per day on my plan because you are closely monitored. We meet with a nurse every week and monthly you get your bloodwork done and meet with a doctor. I have been doing the strict 800-calorie plan for 3 weeks now and I feel fine. I don't feel hungry, but some people do, so they have extra food. You can eat as much of the food that is "on plan" as you want with HMR.

When I go out, I usually make sure I'm not hungry and then I sit and have a diet soda. This diet requires a lot of willpower when you go out, but the results are worth it. I lost 3 lbs the 1st week and 4 lbs the second week. This was not water weight because I was dieting doing HMR food 2 meals a day before I started. The bigger you start, the more you lose each week, too, and since I started at 205, my weight loss isn't as much as someone who starts at 300+. The average weight lost on my program is 60 lbs, but many people lose over a hundred. I've been told by some people that this was the alternative to weigh loss surgery given to them by their doctor.

As far as exercise, I do something at least 4 time a week and usually 5 times a week. I walk/hike, play roller hockey, or do classes at the gym like Zumba, Step, UJam, ect. I'm also training to do a 5K actually. I hiked 4 miles in 1:09 with hills this morning!

I know the nurse & doctor visit are covered by some health insurance. I have an HSA so I use the account for that and it's around $200-$250 a month. The only thing I pay out of pocket for is the food, which is about $100 a week. But that is the only food you are eating, so it's actually cheaper than what I used to spend eating in a normal week!

If you have other questions, just let me know
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #7  

Hi. I started the Optifast 800 (3 servings a day plus one regular dinner) on January 26, 2013, and I am very happy with my results. I need to step up my exercise level now. I have had to go buy smaller underwear 3 times already, and have bought ahead for the next 2 sizes I will be going down this spring. I LOVE this program!
EnergizedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/251/193

Height: 5'6

Hi. I started my own version of the Optifast 800(5-6 shakes a day) yesterday. I am seeing a doctor weekly for bloodwork/weigh ins and will try this for 12 weeks. I started yesterday but I weigh in once a week on Tuesday and had lost 6 pounds. I am walking 5 days a week for 1 hour about 3 miles at a fast pace. I'm also drinking water-TONS of it.

Last edited by LadyT96; 03-19-2013 at 03:49 PM.
LadyT96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 308

Height: 6'

Just starting Optifast today. Need to loss 100 pounds... Glad to have found this forum.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #10  

Well it's like 14 weeks since I started HMR at the beginning of this thread and I have lost 33 lbs. I am 4 lbs from my goal! It's been going great!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #11  

Default Hello?

Is anybody still posting here? I just started today. Struggling with 'am I really hungry' or 'is it all in my head?' I'm supposed to have 5 items a day and tons of water. I have had 2 celery stalks bc my stomach won't stop growling! Is this cheating? How does everybody else deal?
Cbsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbsimpson View Post
Is anybody still posting here? I just started today. Struggling with 'am I really hungry' or 'is it all in my head?' I'm supposed to have 5 items a day and tons of water. I have had 2 celery stalks bc my stomach won't stop growling! Is this cheating? How does everybody else deal?
Your body will get used to less food. It's the worst for the first few weeks. I have been doing HMR for about 17 weeks now and have lost 40 lbs!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #13  

I am beginning July 22nd and could really use some support.
2aHealthierMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #14  

Hi Underwater! What is HMR?
2aHealthierMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aHealthierMe View Post
Hi Underwater! What is HMR?
Hope you don't mind me answering. HMR = Health Management Resources, is the leading company providing weight management programs, products and services to medical schools and hospitals. More medical centerd use HMR products than any other brand. Products include shakes, bars, soups, and entrees (and the program requires a minimum of 5 servings fruits and veggies).

Dr. James Anderson with Dietician Nancy Gustafson wrote the book, The Simple Diet, modeled after HMR. While Dr. Anderson never mentions HMR in the book, he cites his and other research studies using The Simple Diet and if you go to the journal articles for the in-patient studies, you find that HMR products were used.

In the book, Dr. Anderson tells us in the book, that the program using shakes alone was not as effective. People found it harder to stick to. They found that adding the entrees and veggies/fruit and saw better compliance and weight loss outcomes. They did not limit fruits and vegetables, because the research found that patients who ate the most veggies and fruit lost the most weight. He does teach guidelines for choosing the best choices for weight loss.

The Simple diet uses grocery store shakes, soups, bars, and frozen dinners to match the HMR products. The basic plan is 3 shakes, 2 entrees, and 5 servings of veggies or fruits. If you're still hungry, you're encouraged to eat more veggied and fruit and if you're desperate a shake, bar, soup or entree is considered a better "cheat" than going off plan. Bars are to be considered emergency rations because they're not as filling as other options.

We have a couple Simple Diet threads that list the guidelines for each food category. The book explains the guidelines as well, gives shake recipes, and lists of store products that meet the guidelines (I just take a little card with the guidelines written on it to the grocery store).

I have been on liquid diets in the past, and I find it very difficult to stomach for more than a week or two. I literally would start to gag at the sight and smell of another shake or pudding.

The entrees make all the diffetence for me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote