Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/300/200

Height: 5'11

Default Is there an eating disorder for the overweight?

Greetings to all

I have been struggling with my weight for 10 years and nothing seems to work. I've switched doctors multiple times because despite the fact I tell them I don't binge on fatty foods, fast food, snacks etc. they insist that I do. Then of course they're astonished when tests come back to confirm no, I'm not diabetic, no I don't have a thyroid problem and yes my cholesterol levels etc. are healthy because HELLO I don't overeat but I can't lose weight! I've been put on and taken off a slew of medications that don't do anything but make me feel like crap.

Over the last two years I've become so terrified of gaining any more weight that I now have to force myself to eat anything. Some days if I eat once a day it's a lot. Anything more and I literally have to throw up I get so nauseous. On other days though I have to eat at least 6 times a day otherwise my blood sugar drops so bad I feel very faint and shaky and can't concentrate but as soon as I do eat I have to run to the bathroom with explosive diarrhea. I have borderline high blood pressure so I'm on meds for that but any other medication I'm given like methotrexate seems to amplify these symptoms but again my doctors are useless and don't have an answer for me.

I'm tired of my diet running my life. I'm tired of being overweight but nothing I do seems to help or work. I can't even work out or ride my bike because I'm afraid of harming myself by falling off or suddenly dealing with low blood sugar. That's of course if I could even get out of the bathroom

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any ideas?
Fluffyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't have any ideas but I wanted to say I'm so sorry that you're going through all this. I have been through several awful doctors dealing with my PCOS before I found one willing to treat me like a human being, and I wish you all the luck in the world in finding a new doc.

You definitely need to eat. My problems were 1) I didn't understand portion sizes 2) I didn't know HOW to eat healthy and 3) I didn't have any guidelines on how to handle eating away from home. I found solutions to all those problems with Weight Watchers. It has truly changed my life. I have been obese since before puberty; I can literally not remember not being fat. I thought that nothing would help me. But I paid for 3 months and 100% committed and I lost 30lbs. So I kept going, because it had already become habit for me. I learned to love myself, and to believe in myself.

Good luck with your journey. It looks like you've already lost 30lbs, which is fantastic!! Don't give up on yourself.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

@Fluffy, omg that's ME. I am going through the same thing. I never had an eating disorder but the fact that my weight will not budge is pretty much giving me one!!! You are not alone *hugs*

I just keep trying new things, and keep telling myself that whole foods are good, they nourish me. It's very easy to start thinking food is evil or you're a bad person, when you eat and your body doesn't respond how it should.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/300/200

Height: 5'11

Default Thanks:)

I'm wondering if my body is trying to force me to eat certain things. Over the years I found it easy to avoid fried food, fast food etc. because I would suddenly become violently ill. This yo-yo thing started when the temperature started climbing and the only things I'm able to keep down are water, fruit and cooked vegetables (raw gives me terrible heartburn). That's why I switched to this veggie pasta my sister told me about since I stopped being able to eat regular pasta without getting sick and having to run to the bathroom. On the days I have to eat constantly I noticed eating protein rich food like chicken and peanut butter (natural, the fake stuff makes me sick) helps me feel better faster. One of my doctors said she thought I might be reactive hypoglycemic but the meds she gave me only made things worst so I stopped taking them. I'm just so tired of my diet running my life
Fluffyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #5  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Do you count calories and keep a food journal? Both would be an excellent idea if you don't already - it would help for showing doctors, but also help for you in playing detective and doing the most you can to figure out what's working for your body. You might see patterns emerge over days and weeks. It's also very easy to still eat excess calories of just healthy food - so tracking and counting can really help.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Have you considered a gluten intolerance/allergy? I've been tested and came back that I DO NOT have a problem with wheat/gluten, but I tell you, within days of going gluten free, my diarrhea went away, and I was then able to deal with my insulin resistance (non-PCOS, even though I have EVERY symptom in the book). I now actually have to supplement my average/high fiber diet with fiber pills to create enough "bulk" to go! (TMI, I know!)
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesgirl80 View Post
Have you considered a gluten intolerance/allergy? I've been tested and came back that I DO NOT have a problem with wheat/gluten, but I tell you, within days of going gluten free, my diarrhea went away, and I was then able to deal with my insulin resistance (non-PCOS, even though I have EVERY symptom in the book). I now actually have to supplement my average/high fiber diet with fiber pills to create enough "bulk" to go! (TMI, I know!)
I agree with this ^
Reading your post immediately made me think of some sort of intolerance or allergy. It's only really after I came here that I discovered allergies do not always present themselves as a rash or tv-show-style anaphylaxis! Could even be IBS or some sort of infection or imbalance (I know giardiasis is an example of something fairly easily picked up and can cause upset stomach for lengthy times). Definitely keep a diary of everything you eat and keep pushing for a doctor who is prepared to listen and work with you, because you deserve it!

Good luck, let us know how you get on
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesgirl80 View Post
This^.All of it including the high fiber pills. Tests doctors run often don't pick up these problems but you can tell by how much better your body feels if when you go gluetin free if that was the problem.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #9  

Height: 6-1.5

What about drinking?

Alcohol
Beer
Wine
Mixers
Pop
Cola
Sweetened drink
Full tumblers of orange juice

drinking two 12 oz colas per day at 140 cal. over your recommended daily calorie requirement, will equal 10,2200 cals. by the end of the year, or allow you to gain 29.2 pounds (at 3,500 cal per pound).

Even one 12 oz cola per day is 140 cals. X 360 = 51100 or 14.6 pounds.

Orange juice is about 102 calories, light beers run about 100 cals, dark runs about 150, 204 in 12 oz of whole milk...(if you drank one 12 oz glass of milk per day in excess calories you would gain 21 pounds per year. )

Point being, look at what you are drinking, and see how much calories you are adding to your diet. Many people count only food calories, and ignore the calories in their drinks.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #10  

Don't skip your meals, specially the breakfast. Eat small quantities at regular intervals. Eating at the right time and doing work till you get hungry will help you losing weight. The right food consumption at the right time is the best method to avoid unnecessary weight gaining.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I agree with ikesgirl. I would recommend getting testing for a gluten allergy, as well as IBS and colitis. My husband had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with IBS.
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote