General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Paleo?

I'm not really looking for a diet and realize that the way that I eat and what I eat needs to change. Can anyone explain the basics of Paleo to me? I've been Googling and reading mixed things.
MrsDeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Paleo is different things to different people. There are a lot of people here at 3FC that know more about it than I do.

As I understand it, fruits and vegetables that are organic, grass-fed/pastured meat/poultry and wild-caught seafood, nuts and seeds, plus fats sourced from all those sources. Some say no dairy, some say no legumes or grains. And definitely the least processed foods. Basically anything that can be hunted and foraged for.

I think it's important to understand that any program that reduces calories will help you lose weight. For me, eating Paleo supports my health objectives. I have cleaned up my diet a lot and gotten away from eating processed foods, junk and fast-food, and foods that don't help me stay healthy. I eat a lot more non-starchy vegetables, higher quality proteins and healthy fats.

Paleo can be about more than just diet. If you haven't already found it, I suggest you read the works of Mark Sisson.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You'll find mixed messages, because Paleo is not one diet, but many. There are several good Paleo diet books, some of which focus on a low-carb, meat-based WOE and others are plant-based, and many lie between.

Neanderthin, The Paleolithic Prescription, The Paleo Diet, and The Paleo Solution are the "classics," and a good place to start reading.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks! I ordered one of the books from Amazon. It sounds interesting enough. Going to check it out.
MrsDeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/120

Okay... I'm a paleo/primal dork so feel free to PM me...

I'm a fan of Mark Sisson, his blog has a WEALTH of information and an active forum. Google "Marks Daily Apple."

Generally "paleo" is more strict, no dairy, alcohol, potatoes. Whereas "primal" (Mark Sisson) allows dairy, potatoes, and red wine/dark chocolate in moderation.

The common denominators are eating whole foods, avoiding grains (the hard part), and eating protein from responsible/organic sources.

I like that Sisson also goes deep into the exercise component - taking the "caveman" view and talking about how that suggests we should move, sleep, etc.

EDIT: I should note, that I actually GAINED 5-7lbs on the paleo diet. HOWEVER, that way of eating resolved a lot of stomach issues I had and because of these dietary changes I feel GREAT. I'm losing again by sticking to the general principals but realizing that, at least for me, I DO need to count calories. Sisson advocates for an 80/20 lifestyle ... my 20% is being looser when out with friends, and by drinking beer (technically a grain).

Last edited by DistrictDieter; 08-16-2013 at 04:56 PM.
DistrictDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

I just read this presentation by Alan Aragon, a nutritionist, on the claims vs evidence of the Paleo diet. I think he does a good job of highlighting the beneficial principles of Paleo diet (unrefined food) and debunking dubious claims of the Paleo diet with research.

As for me, I think the principles of the Paleo diet are great but I would not restrict dairy or lampshades vegetables, legumes or grains unless there is an allergy or intolerance.

Last edited by Matisse; 08-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote