Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

Default Weight Bias in Higher Education Admissions

I don't think I saw this posted anywhere - a study recently found that overweight applicants to graduate programs got offered admission less frequently than those of normal weight when the overweight applicants interviewed in person (but not when they interviewed over the phone);
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...ool-applicants

I am not surprised by that, but it is a bit sad. Where it got interesting was when a professor from U of New Mexico tweeted "Dear obese Ph.D. applicants: if you didn’t have the willpower to stop eating carbs, you won’t have the willpower to do a dissertation #truth"
(ouch)

He did get disciplined, which was good to see.
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...ure-university
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

just goes to show how simple-minded people can be. As though obesity/losing weight is a matter of willpower/willpower only, or as if weight loss is somehow a yardstick for someones potential of success in every other aspect of their lives. Its sad that someone sopresumably relying on the use of their higher faculties for their bread and butter thinks so simplistically in this regard and can make such ignorant passes without so much as a second thought. Such is the nature of prejudice..

I feel for anyone who has ever been denied admission on the basis of anything other than pure academic eligibility.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote