Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #1  

Default should i gain some kilos?

hello i am new here and i could really use some advice.you see,next year i'm gonna have a prom which means i must pick the perfect dress but the problem is i might have gotten too skinny..i'm 168 cm tall and i weight 44 kg (although this morning the scale showed 43,6..) and my mum has made me promise that i gain 3 kg by new years.you see,i know that a weight of 47 is not that much for my height but i'm very much afraid of my belly getting big and fat like it used to be (because i used to be 47 kg in the winter and i had a huge tummy) so please tell me how to gain 3 kg without looking fat with big stomach cause i really want it to be flat like it's now,i just need the extra kg in order to fit better in my clothes
avagardner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Hello! Glad to see you here.
To answer your question, yes, I think you need to put on some weight. BMI isn't everything, but it tells me that you're currently at least 7 kg underweight, which is rather concerning. You tell me that you had a "huge belly" at 47 kg, which is still underweight...I don't know your body shape, but that makes me worried that you may have some serious issues with body perception. I highly doubt you will have a huge stomach if you put on a few kilograms of weight.
That said, the basics of weight gain is to eat more than your body uses. This all comes down primarily to increasing your portion sizes, but I would suggest basing your diet around healthy calorie-dense foods like nuts, avocados, and oils, and perhaps also cheese and meat.

[disclaimer: if possible, this is something that you should discuss with your doctor. I am not a doctor, I am an unqualified student expressing my personal opinion.]

Last edited by Chronostasis; 08-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I suggest using a site like myfitnesspal to see how many calories you would need to gain a a steady pace then eat healthily at that level. lots of protien and healthy fats. While you do that I also recommend weight training to help as much as that as possible go on as muscle.

You WILL NOT look gross and bulky!!! Here is an article I recently found that shows a girl going from 117 (53kilos) to 131 (59kilo) and finally to 142 (64kilos) through weight lifting. Honestly I would rather look like the 142 picture than the 117 picture

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011...ng-super-hero/
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #4  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkrckpixikat View Post
You WILL NOT look gross and bulky!!! Here is an article I recently found that shows a girl going from 117 (53kilos) to 131 (59kilo) and finally to 142 (64kilos) through weight lifting. Honestly I would rather look like the 142 picture than the 117 picture
Holy cow, she looks awesome after putting on the extra weight and getting strong.

Hi, avagardner93, maybe you and your mom should make an appointment to talk with your doctor about what a healthy weight would be for you? There's thin and then there's frail, which isn't healthy. I know how important prom and the right dress is, but keep in mind that prom will come and go. You'll want your body to be strong and able throughout your whole life so be sure to nurture it with plenty of nutritious food and exercise.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #5  

thanks for the kind responses.actually the highest i've been is 49-5o ,but back then i felt kinda fat so i decided to lose weight nd maybe things have gotten outta control,especially in the summer (you know how you tend to lose your appettite when it's hot etc)..but i'm afraid also that if i gain weight that will slow down my metabolism and mix up my going to the bathrooom..do you think there is a danger of that happening
avagardner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Your metabolism won't slow down if you gain weight. Actually, the opposite will happen, it will speed up. You will be doing yourself a huge favour if you gain some weight, being underweight will put you at risk of things such as osteoporosis. The huge stomach that you see is probably all in your head.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #7  
weight room rookie

S/C/G: 267/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I suggest using a site like myfitnesspal to see how many calories you would need to gain a a steady pace then eat healthily at that level. lots of protien and healthy fats. While you do that I also recommend weight training to help as much as that as possible go on as muscle.

Staci is my hero.

I heartily second lifting weights. You will NOT get bulky or mannish. In order to She-Hulk it out, you'd need to lift a serious amount of weight, eat an insane amount of food, and more than likely pump yourself with growth hormones. Even if you don't go the powerlifting route, gaining muscle definition will help you look great in your prom dress. Find a simple routine that allows for compound exercises (deadlifts, pushups, squats, overhead presses) to do at least three times a week with days off in between for recovery and make room in your diet for healthy fats and lean protiens.

And if you don't have a gym or weight set available to you, bodyweight exercises are great: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...-build-muscle/ These can be done anywhere, which is a plus.
Issaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

I second myfitnesspal. They have a board in their forums for gaining weight. There are a lot of friendly people on there, and unfortunately some not so friendly peeps. Just ignore the butthurt people who have to rain misery down on others.

Best of luck to you on your healthy journey!
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote