Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #1  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Whole milk mixed with water?

I live with my parents and they are huge whole milk drinkers. That's fine because I'm not a big milk fan. The issue comes when I'm following a recipe that calls for milk and I don't want the excess fat and calories that is found in whole milk. It's not worth it for me to buy a small thing of skim or almond milk because it'll probably go bad before I ever use it. Can I mix water with some of the milk instead of using all milk?
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #2  
it's always something

I think it probably depends on the recipe, but it would probably work.

Have you considered buying a small pack of dry milk powder and reconstituting it as needed? I used to keep it on hand for cooking because I don't drink milk.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #3  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

That might be a good idea, I'll have to look into that.
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

if its a recipe like a box mix, hamburger helper etc, that requires milk and water in it, I just use completely water....if it requires milk for the actual taste like scalloped potatoes or a cream-based soup, then I use nonfat milk...I like the idea of powdered milk too, if you don't have nonfat to use
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Hubby and I don't drink enough fresh milk to keep it on hand. I buy a gallon of milk (usually 1%) to make yogurt for the month. Even though I do buy and use almond milk and Coconut Dream (reduced fat coconut milk), occasionally, I don't always keep it on hand either, but I always have instant nonfat milk powder (instant dissolves much better in the water, and tastes better).

For a lot of recipes, any liquid, even water can be used in place of some or all of the milk (sugar free instant pudding even turns out ok with half water and half milk. My grandma used all water). I don't know any sure fire method of learning what will work and what won't except for trial and error.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote