View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
kaplods

S/C/G: SW:394/see ticker

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostWeddingsmallsize View Post
I live by peanut butter and jelly, cheese and beans. If I knew how to bake my own bread I would.
Learning to make bread (with or without a bread machine) is easy. There are countless youtube videos that will show you how to make all sorts of breads.

Unfortunately homemade bread isn't necessarily cheaper or healthier (and almost never is cheaper AND healthier) than store bought bread.

Aldi and Walmart have REALLY cheap white bread (don't buy bread anymore, so I don't know how cheap). Flour and corn tortillas and other skillet flatbreads are also very, very cheap and easy to make. They're cheap to buy too, but you do save a bit of money making your own.

I'm allergic to wheat, and I try to limit starches, so I don't make bread often, but when I do, it's usually flat breads, because I can make just enough for one meal.

If you can play with playdough, or make pancakes, you can make tortillas and other flat breads for wrap sandwhiches.

The simplest recipe is just flour and water or milk (but a tsp of oil and a pinch of salt is nice). Mix in just enough liquid to make a ball. Flatten the ball with your hands, a rolling pin, or between two pans or plates. Put in a nonstick pan on medium heat and brown both side. You can add fat to the pan to "fry" the bread, but this isn't necessary.

You can also make thinner batter breads and cook like crepes or pancakes.

Also tons of youtube recipes and tutorials.

My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is online now   Reply With Quote