Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #1  
Golden Goose

S/C/G: 333/tracker/150

Height: 5'10

Default Menses & Weight Loss

Several months ago I endured the period from ****, it lasted 4 months and sent me to many doctors and hospital visits. It was abnormal and many scary options were discussed. I found the diamond in the rough though with my current gynocologist. I just saw her Friday and she told me that the pill I am on now (some form of progestin that is suppose to help with endometriosis and abnormal bleeding) is something I will be taking long term. (She said that if I stopped this medication the constant bleeding would just come back.) The pill was a lifesaver, as it was the only pill to stop the bleeding and give me my life back in a sense. I was worried about being on it, but she assured me many women have been on it for many years without problems, and even though they no longer have periods, they can still have children later on! That makes me very happy, as I never want to be told I cannot have children, even if I don't want them right now.

Since seeing her the first time, I had lost 9 pounds. I didn't discuss with her much about my weight loss goals, but maybe some of the older ladies on here can tell me about their experiences with weight loss after menopause. Is it harder, is it easier? Obviously, all hormonal and birth control pills can cause weight gain, but this one hasn't so far as I have been able to lose some weight. During the months I suffered with the bleeding, I had tried many different birth control pills and it resulted in a 10+ pound weight gain within a few months.

I know none of you are doctors, but in your experiences, do you think not having a period will effect my efforts? If anything, I think it will limit my excuses of not exercising because of my period, lol (mine were very painful).

Thanks in advance. Carrot dance to no longer having to deal with the dreaded monthly visitor.
Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I had a similar issue for years and years. It was HORRIBLE. I would go from no period at all, to six months of one..heavy bleeding and clotting...just miserable. The doctors put me on pills, I had to do regular blood work because I was showing so anemic that I almost needed a blood transfusion....it was miserable.

One day the doctor I had during this time came right out and told me that she thought that this was happening because I was fat. Apparently the fatter you are, the more estrogen you produce? She told me to lose weight and the problem should get better.

At that time, I didn't listen to her of course. But eventually I decided I was tired of being morbidly obese, and I started actively losing and working out regularly. Eating better, taking care of myself etc. 7 months into my journey, that problem has mostly cleared up.

Long story short...unless there is another medical reason for your period to be like this....when you start losing weight, you will notice a definite difference in what is going on with your periods and hormones. It will happen fairly quickly..like within a few months you will notice a difference.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #3  
Golden Goose

Thank you for your post, lazylioness. My doctor doesn't believe my problem is weight related. My mother was very overweight, lost 170+ pounds and still had the same bleeding/hormonal/anemia problems. I am on the same pill as my mother lol, so it's obviously the same thing. Endometriosis may be a factor, but the test for that involves a surgical procedure she said, so she's just going to keep me on this pill indefinitely. I don't really mind it, I just wasn't sure if no longer having a period would affect anything. I am losing weight though and I already feel better, so we will see what happens. All I know is that I never want to go through that kind of bleeding ever again, and if my doctor thinks the bleeding with start again reguardless of what pill I am or am not switched to, I'm just going to accept that.

Almost every woman in my family, big, small, tall, short has gone through some type of bleeding issues, so it's pretty much hereditary. A friend of my mother's was 90 something pounds and had awful periods, she had a ton of female issues. I don't believe anything has no other cause except for weight, that's just ridiculous. I have learned from the many doctors I have seen in the last two years that they don't know everything. They love to blame your weight or even your height on the issue you have rather than getting to the bottom of it.

I am very glad the problem cleared up for you. I would never wish this on any woman. I am hoping that losing weight will help some of my health issues, like GERD and maybe even the chronic bowel issues I have related to my gallbladder removal. But, I'm not too hopeful for that one as I know many people who are 120 pounds that had their gallbladders removed and still suffer. :/ All I know is that I am doing this for me, not for any doctors or even for my family. This is my life and I will live it the way I choose.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree, no one doctor knows everything lol. Just like there is not one diagnosis for everyone.

I also had gallbladder issues...had it removed 15 years ago, and the first five years maybe after I had it out..digestional issues from you know where!...but happily those cleared up too...that one I cannot blame on weight HAHA!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I was on Yasmin when I lost "the weight," and don't think it hurt me at all. On the other hand, it was EXTREMELY important to me to get to my goal weight before menopause (a few years off), because I know four people, and counting, who NEVER had problems with their weight (all very athletic), who gained 40 POUNDS EACH going through it!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #6  
Golden Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylioness View Post
I also had gallbladder issues...had it removed 15 years ago, and the first five years maybe after I had it out..digestional issues from you know where!...but happily those cleared up too...that one I cannot blame on weight HAHA!
Oh I hope to God mine clear up like yours did!! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
I was on Yasmin when I lost "the weight," and don't think it hurt me at all. On the other hand, it was EXTREMELY important to me to get to my goal weight before menopause (a few years off), because I know four people, and counting, who NEVER had problems with their weight (all very athletic), who gained 40 POUNDS EACH going through it!!
That's good to know, but doesn't surprise me at all from the people I have experienced so far in life. Just because you're skinny does not mean you eat right and just because you're fat does not mean you eat bad. I just saw an episode of Anderson today where a woman was 250 pounds but exercised and ate right everyday. She was just bigger, she even said she learned to accept it and now loves that she is a big girl but healthy, because she can one up the docs and stick it to the skinny chicks at the gym. :P