Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #1  
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

Height: 5'6"

Question FFood places

Does anyone know what fast food places cater to those of us that are low carb?

I would love to know where to go on days I am out with the kids where they will wrap my burger or chicken in lettuce.. etc..

Last edited by FrostyBobber; 08-10-2013 at 07:17 PM.
FrostyBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #2  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

I don't know what kind of fast food places you would go to, but I've worked at McDonalds for a good chunk of my adult life (more than I would like to say, LOL!), and I can't see why that sort of request would be turned down. If you had to, just say you want it would no bread and extra lettuce (specify leaf lettuce depending on where you go, some places have that plus shredded and.. other sorts beyond that) so you do the wrapping yourself!

I hope that helps you out!
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #3  
Joined IP on 07/15/13

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

No fast food places cater to people on a low carb diet... The only thing to do is to ask for a hamburger protein style with mustard only... Had a double double at In-N-Out not too long ago protein style... Lettuce wrapped around 2 patties with mustard... Hard to get used to... but I closed my eyes and pretended I was eating the real thing...

Frenchy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #4  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

I've done KFC and just stripped the batter off the pieces, it leaves you with steamed chicken basically.

Unless they have a salad option that is allowed in your program I haven't been able to make maccas work at all. I can get special orders easier if I go into the counter, but drive thru is difficult. I travel a fair bit so I've given it a solid attempt.

You may be better off with a kid friendly restaurant that serves sit down meals as you have more chance to adjust menu options or special order at them.
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

The problem with fast food burgers is they have filler (read carbs) and higher fat content.

Lots of us eat Subway chopped salads w/or w/o chicken depending on if you want to eat your protein meal or not. I often bring a packet/shaker when running errands and then get a veggie salad at Subway to go with it. You can get cold water from their drink area. Have them shake salt/pepper on and give you a side packet if olive oil and lemon wedges or packets (depending on what they offer w/iced tea.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #6  
Started IP 07/29/2013

So Far I have had luck at Jimmy Johns... I have them wrap my sandwich in lettuce (an option on the menu) and ask for the spicy mustard instead of any other dressings.. I was hoping for something easy to eat in the car.. and there isn't a JJohns everywhere..

I try to have my IP foods with me.. but unless I am gonna drink shakes all day or cold soup and munch lettuce from a container (usually what I do)... Just looking for variations once ina while..
Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBobber View Post
So Far I have had luck at Jimmy Johns... I have them wrap my sandwich in lettuce (an option on the menu) and ask for the spicy mustard instead of any other dressings.. I was hoping for something easy to eat in the car.. and there isn't a JJohns everywhere..

I try to have my IP foods with me.. but unless I am gonna drink shakes all day or cold soup and munch lettuce from a container (usually what I do)... Just looking for variations once ina while..
I like the idea of JJs! Never thought of getting it protein style! Of course, the best thing I always loved about JJs is their bread. I have always thought for a fast good sub shop they have the best bread! SIGH!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #8  
Started IP 07/29/2013

They have always had the lettuce option.. and they will add or remove whatever veggies you want/can't have... they have been a life saver.. .I just have less protein at night.. but they do have an all veggie sandwich...
Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #9  

I would say when possible pack stuff for you and your kids to eat when youre out and about. I get the fast food places can make life easy, but, isnt it better to teach your kids healthy eating habits young then trying to adapt when they are older like we are now? Not that your kids need to eat ip friendly stuff ..but teaching them the importance of eating well vs just eating :...
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #10  
Started IP 07/29/2013

Wow...my children have the chicken and apples and water or milk at most FF places...I am not teaching them bad habits!

The only reason I am the weight I am is because of my thyroid. Until my thyroid went out after the birth of my 3rd child I was skinny. All my children are well under their 'weight' for height on the 'charts'. None of them have ever had any weight issues. We live an hour from civilization. When we 'go to town' they like to be able to eat different food than home cooked. When we go on road trips they look forward to eating out, because we don't do it all the time..

I am a little offended by the insinuation..
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #11  
Started IP 6/12/13

S/C/G: 244/177/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBobber View Post
I am a little offended by the insinuation..
I'm sorry you felt offended. I think everyone strives to be supportive on these boards. However, you are on an IP board. I don't think ANY fast food (and very little restaurant food) is truly IP friendly. And it did seem from your posts that you ate fast food frequently. (it's hard to tell these things through posts )

I'm saying this as someone who still goes through the drive through for her kids (while staying OP): Fast food is not the healthy option, no matter what you pick. Even if your kids pick the healthy items, you leading them to believe fast food is OK. A lot of us are using IP as a lifetime change in the way we view food, for us and our families. I think that is what she meant, as encouragement to re-think fast food, not as an indictment of your parenting.
bimnd113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #12  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

The only thing I get FF on plan is a salad and even then it's only been 2-3x in a pinch because I needed something after being very active (and once when we were out of town for a funeral). No dressing on it and once with some grilled chicken. I just try to avoid, even though my kid get it from time to time.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #13  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Carl's jr has a low carb burger that's really good. It's no bun and wrapped in lettuce, just get it with no mayo, no ketsup, and no cheese. The meat might be higher fat then what I'd buy at the store, but it works in a pinch.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

It has been a while since I was on phase 1. I think I had a chicken salad at McDonald's. Lots of people find the subway salads very handy and are OP.

I carried individual WF dressing packages in my purse. Lots of ff places have a green salad with grilled chicken.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #15  
IP start: 7/2/13

S/C/G: 200/164.5/130

Height: 5'6" Age: 35

The other day, I got a taco salad with chicken from Taco Time, no dressing, no shell, no cheese. It was just shredded lettuce and 2 slices of tomatoes with grilled chicken. I added hot sauce. I was desperate and didn't have time to make dinner that day. So far, it's my only time having fast food since starting IP, but probably won't be the last.

Edited to add: Taco Time has healthier options than Taco Bell, it seems, if you like mexican FF (and I love mexican!). According to Taco Bell's website, ALL of their meat - chicken, beef, and steak - contains sugar. That said, when I did Atkins 10 years ago, I ate Taco Bell regularly (no shells, no beans) because I didn't know about the sugar in the meat, and it never took me out of ketosis. So, take that for what it's worth.

If you have In n Out where you are, protein style burgers with mustard only are lifesavers! Other than that, I also agree that Subway and Jimmy Johns are great options. I've found that a lot of deli meats contain sugar, but perhaps not enough to take you out of ketosis.

Last edited by undrwelmd; 08-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.
undrwelmd is offline   Reply With Quote