Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #1  

Default Compliments, complications and frustrated.

Hi all
I would like to introduce myself and try and gain from your expertise and experience.

In 2009 I had a band fitted after already losing nearly 50 kg ( weighing in at 85kg), it was great I was recieving lots compliments from both friends and strangers. After nearly a year of having my band filled and emptied on a regular basis, my doctor decided to completely empty the band and order a barium xray - this showed that there was no problem. I expected to be called to see the Dr and discuss where we would go from here.........How wrong I was!!!!! at this stage I have given up and am dealing with it, I just don't eat solids.

Fast forward to today I have gone back upto 106kg and I still haven't had any thing sorted and am still not able to eat much in the way of solid food and if I try I spend anywhere up to 3 hrs over the loo trying to dislodge whats stuck ( I don't vomit ).
To top it all my GP has now confirmed I have reflux with a very dibilitating cough, no heartburn though. I spent christmas in hospital due to having a perforated diverticula abcess into the bladder and abdomen with a temp of 40.2. The cause of this apparently is the constipation.

So there you have my story and I would love to hear from anybody who had a similar experience and how it was dealt with.
merve2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi merve, Oh my, I hate to hear that you are having such trouble. I have no experience with lap band or any kind of surgery, but I wanted to come on here to tell you to check out the Weight Loss Surgery forum, because someone there may be able to give you some insight and/or advice. Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #3  

Many thanks for the reply. I didn't know where to post so will now have a look in there.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

ummm. merve. i'm not quite sure what to say - why did your doc decide to empty the band? is it still in there? just empty? and why aren't you eating solids? with the band [well, with all of the surgeries] after awhile we're supposed to be eating fairly normally.

sounds like something serious is going on - especially as you've landed in the hospital with some serious complications from constipation AND you're having bad reflux.

I'm moving this thread into the SURGERY forum and we'll see what some of the other folks there say.

bottom line, though, welcome aboard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I haven't had the surgery so can't comment on your problem which does sound serious. I am wondering if it would help others who know more if you indicated where you are from. As you are using metric measurements I don't think you are from the US and medical services may be different in different countries.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #6  

Hi All Thanks for the replies. Been back to the doc this morning now they are wondering if the reflux cough is something else and given me an inhaler.
so lets see what happens next.
Thanks for your ? Patns didn't think, I should have said i'm from the U.K.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

So glad you checked in and that you've been to see the doc. the reason we ask about the country is that healthcare systems are SO different - and so are the rules...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote