Old 08-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #1  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Default Weekend is approaching, what are your plans and challenges?

Today is Friday for me, being from NZ I'm a bit ahead of most of ya'll. But I'm already shifting in to weekend mode (I don't work Fridays) and I'm planning my weekend mode.

For me my biggest challenge (aside from the usual its the weekend so I tend to slack off) is I have a 5yr old's birthday party on Sunday. Kids party food is always so good and yet so bad -LOL- I weigh on Monday though which is actually great because I'm sure it will help me stay focused. I'm intending on taking my own lunch, eating a piece of cake and one other thing.

How about everyone else, do you find the weekends the biggest challenge? Any events this weekend that threaten to derail your great work?
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #2  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

I love your zombie-themed signature. :3

As for the weekend... my birthday is next Wednesday and my boyfriend has a long commute to and from work so we will be going out to my early birthday dinner either Saturday or Sunday. Once I figure out where I want to go, I'll have some menu research to do. That's probably the big one for me!

I'm hoping my Monday weigh in will help keep me focused, too!

Oh, and something I'd like to accomplish, is another long walk like I did last Sunday... maybe just not hiking up a mountain this time.
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

I have a work-related happy hour to attend tomorrow night. I was going to bow out because I love cocktails and bar food. But co-workers I haven't seen in months will be there. So I looked up the bar's menu and alcohol calorie information. I'll go have one glass of white wine and an appetizer plate of their grilled fish skewers.
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/196/163

Height: 5'8

It's Friday morning here in Australia, and I don't go to school on Fridays, so I have a three day weekend. I am beginning resistance training at the gym today (god, I am so nervous) to build more muscle so I can burn more fat. My goal is to work incredibly hard to do so!
madelinerose94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #5  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

It's not Friday here in Colorado, but I sure feel like it should be. And I'm definitely thinking about the weekend. Vibe at work has been sad. We had a student die on campus yesterday. So this weekend will be nice.

I'm going on a dinner train ride on Saturday.

And then going to a whitewater river trip on Sunday. I have never been whitewater rafting before. I think I will definitely be burning calories that way!
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #6  
Mummy-tummy battler

@ Lunar that's terrible, its hard losing students. We have that happen a couple times a year and usually its not a student I know (university teacher so lots of kids!) but it still effects me.

@ madeline someone across the ditch! I don't work Fridays either got to love the three day weekend! Especially now that winter is disappearing, bring on good weather

@ Amy and Fair its great you're both doing the menu research. I did that last time we planned to go out (then we ended up not going to the planned restaurant, but at least I tried!). Plus happy birthday Fair for next week! And thanks I quite like my zombie line, DH and I always talk about what we'd do if it happened -LOL-
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #7  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

My boyfriend and I talk a lot about zombie situations (and my mother and I do as well, actually). It's a great reason to get in shape! I mean, sure, it's never happened, but you never know, right? LOL!

It's my birthday so I get to pick the restaurant, that is how it works in our family. So I know wherever I do my planning, that's where I get to go.

And thank you! I wish I'd started my weight loss journey (well re-started it sooner) before I was almost halfway through my 30s, but I'm not letting that stop me!
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Weekends are hardest, I think, because they don't have the same structure as week days. Most times when we eat out or party it's on weekends. Sometimes we get up late enough that we only have brunch and dinner, rather than three meals. Sometimes we end up snacking a lot rather than having "real" meals.

It helps me to have plans for most eating-out meals... I have been doing this long enough that I'm pretty sure what I can and can't order on plan from most menus. The trouble is the total calories... even on-plan food choices can end up being more calories than if I made it at home.

Anyway, I find the best thing is to plan ahead, make good choices where I have the options, and not sweat it too much if I eat too many calories or eat something off-plan. It slows my loss, but it saves my sanity. 80/20 works.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #9  
weight room rookie

S/C/G: 267/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Happy birthday, fairandfree!

After last weekend's downhill slide and subsequent gain, I'm planning a boring-on-purpose weekend involving lots of cleaning, meal planning/shopping/prepping, and getting back into the habit of weekend gym workouts. The hope is that I'll get all of the things on my to-do list that I've let slide (some things for months, eek! I swear the dust bunnies are planning a revolution!) done so I'll be too busy to even think about straying from plan. The fact that I'll finally have a clean apartment will be an added bonus.

And then after that, I'm indulging my nerdy side by trying to catch up with Season 6 of Doctor Who so I can borrow my friend's copy of Season 7.
Issaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/see ticker/150

Hey everyone!!!

It's great to have ladies from across the other side of the world here! But I guess jitterfish and madelinerose are asleep right now?!

Great idea for a thread!! I totally agree with what you say Synger , weekends were my biggest fear as it's the only time we have together as a family and that often meant doing things revolving around food...and like you say, not to mention the lack of structure and just snacking instead of meal meals. But I started my weight loss journey on a Monday and I weigh myself every Monday so that I can keep focused over the weekend. I've been really good so far and now our family days are more active and fun but I make sure to have some healthy snacks in my purse.

It's a great idea to research the menus before you go, Amy and fairandfree. I went out to dinner during the week and I knew it was a pizza place but I didn't know the name so I was expecting to have to have a boring salad but they turned out to have a great selection. I had a delicious one with lean meat and raspberry vinaigrette which was so flavorsome and fresh. I have a meal out tomorrow night but I don't know where we're going yet, knowing my friend who's birthday it is it could be Mexican so I'm a little worried...!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
jennybutler357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Jenny if it is mexican go for something grilled like steak or chicken fajitas, ask for no oil or light oil in cooking it, and for sides go for black or pinto beans instead of refried, see if they have a cilantro-lime type of rice instead of mexican rice, or ask about replacing one or both sited with a veggie option.

as long as it isn't a small hole in the wall type restaurant they should have these options and another good rule of thumb, box up half before you even start eating and save it for lunch the next day.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #12  

Wow thank you so much pnkrckpixikat!!!!!

These tips are great for Mexican food, and the tip about asking if I can half of it boxed up before will be perfect for any restaurant!!

I feel armed and ready to take on even the most unhealthy of restaurants!!!

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by jennybutler357; 08-09-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Good luck and have a good time with your friend for her B-Day!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #14  
Mummy-tummy battler

Its very true what Jenny says, how social events seem to revolve around food. How often do people get together and not have food as a bit of a focal point? Or alcohol, or even worse both. Add alcohol to the mix and I became such a mindless eater. Lucky for me I don't really drink much.

Synger I think you're spot on with not sweating it if you do go a bit off plan. As long as it doesn't completely derail its ok. Sometimes I have made the decision to go over plan, I feel ok when I make the choice (as opposed to the mindless or out of control binge). It does save sanity sometimes to enjoy life when everyone around you is enjoying food and you don't want to deprive.

My weekend has gone well so far, did a lot of cleaning (spring cleaning, so just finished shampooing the carpet) and the grocery shop this morning. Tomorrow is the little girls birthday party and I forgot I have a morning tea shout on Monday so I'll be baking tomorrow too. Need to keep strong there and not "sample" as I go.

Hope everyone's weekend is going great.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #15  

Hey everyone!! Did y'all have a good weekend?!

My friends and I are terrible for eating when we get together, and I'm lucky that I don't drink too much either as I'm sure I'd be even more tempted with all the food they like to order. And with my husband, he's been great since I started this time but before he would always think he was saving me having to cook if he suggested we go out somewhere or order take out. I hate to think how many more calories I used to eat on a regular basis.

My mexican meal went well on saturday night - I shared chicken fajitas and pinto beans with a friend (thanks to pnkrckpixikat's advice) and resisted the melted cheese my friends always order to pour over their burritos - that was tough!!!!

Other than that we went to visit some relatives of my husband yesterday and had a quiet family day on saturday as my husband was fixing up the car.

All the cleaning you did jitterfish !! Sounds like a work out for sure! I wonder how many calories you burned!

Have a great week everyone, and I'd love to hear what y'all did this weekend!