Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had a good meeting in the morning that I'd stressed about because it wasn't going to be productive. Happily, it was; got stuff done. CREDIT moi for plowing through despite Negative Thinking in advance.

Lunch was with a bunch of folks served banquet style. I wanted to be there, despite expecting the food to be terrible. It wasn't. In addition, I skipped the chunks of cheese in the salad as well as the new potatoes, so I did OK, CREDIT moi. So a day of advance Negative Thinking turned out to be a good day.

Beverlyjoy – I do like Beck's analogy: I'd immediately turn around at the next exit. LOL at, " but, I wasn't listening to myself."

maryann - Yay for a reasonable dinner. Drooling over your pear tree.

nationalparker – Kudos for going to Trader Joe's and picking up treats for other people instead of just yourself. I'm having trouble from here with that $2 chicken basket. I try to remind myself that I'm not impoverished, that a bargain on high fat food is not a bargain. Buy, as Beverlyjoy just wrote, I don't always listen to myself.

Tracey (Tracey on a journey) - Yay for normal blood pressure. I've always hated the "starving children" reason for cleaning one's plate.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Kudos for being aware: noticing that you were full, and noticing that you were standing with the raisin bread.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Slow Down
Practice the following strategies until you naturally eat more slowly. . . .
Set a timer to beep every one to three minutes. If changing something in your environment isn't compelling enough, perhaps the timer will help. Each time you hear a beep, put down your flatware. Wait at least 10 seconds and, when you pick up your utensils again, remind yourself to eat slowly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hi coaches,

Not sure quite why but I'm excited by the changeover thread. Maybe something about it feeling like I'm hanging in there? A nice feeling to realise I joined in a discussion with a bunch if strangers and now I'm the beginning of a new one with people I know? In any event it seems a good time to say yay to you all for being there to talk to every night.

Was in a very belligerent and rebellious mood today. For example at lunchtime - sat down at the table and had this long back and forth "I want to read something" "but you need to eat mindfully" "But I don't want to - it's boring" "but you need to" "Ok - but hey I tricked you I said I wouldn't read and now I'm reading the junk mail on the table so huh - you can't stop me reading if I want to - you're not the boss of me" etc etc etc. giving myself a credit for noticing it was BS and keeping fighting back (at lunchtime I ended up going to the outside table where there is absolutely nothing with written text in sight!) bit of an exhausting day for it but I did manage to stay on program on all fronts. Well done me :-) Up to the craving monitoring bit. Strangely there weren't many cravings in amongst all the defiance today so it was hard to practice - but I did use the mindset stuff to overcome a back and forth debate about whether I would have Ribena to drink with my dinner. (I think what got me over the line was thinking about what I wouldn't be able to eat later if I chose to use up my calories on a bit of sweet liquid!) Also been meaning to give myself credit for the fact that I have been managing to be relaxed about the fact that some steps have taken me more than one day. Normally I get a bit strung out about not doing things in the right order and timeframe so being relaxed about it is a welcome change.

A random cool thing is that I have discovered my kids really love fish! I had been really worried about how they were going to cope with the new world of healthy dinners (as opposed to the handful of (usually cheese heavy) dishes I know they will eat) but as it turns out they have been devouring every meal. Yay :-)

Enough about me though ...

Beverlyjoy - yay to you for giving yourself credit even though it was a tough day - I think maybe those are the days it is most important to give ourselves credit?

Traceyonajourney - great news on the blood pressure. Well done for making that happen!

Maryann - hope you enjoy those summer days. Are you a teacher or a student? By afternoon tea I meant afternoon snacks :-) my older daughter does occasionally have tea but with so much milk and sugar I don't think it really counts as tea!

National Parker - how wise to realise you need to keep checking in here - and what an excellent call to create physical distance from temptation, even when driving!

BBE - nice job in turning your thinking around today. And for dodging the cheese in the salad! (not sure I am ready yet to debunk that fabulous myth that cheese in a salad counts as a vegetable :-))
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #4  

Wow - how did I forget to say this in my monster post .... Second weigh in today and down another 1.2. Kinda cool that I'm more excited by behavioural change than numbers :-)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi...

Here is what came through my facebook newsfeed today:

Think Thin Thursday Tip: If you think, “I just ate dinner an hour ago but now I’m hungry for something else,” remind yourself that if you ate a satisfying dinner, it’s not hunger you’re feeling. You may WANT to eat in that moment, but that doesn’t mean your body needs any more food

Good reminder.

I'll be back later.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

I weighed myself for the first time in almost two months. A big OH WELL at being 5.5 pounds over maintenance weight. At least, I know how to lose 5.5 pounds -- it's the maintenance that's proving a bit tricky. But I'll figure that out, too.

ForMyGirls: Woohoo! Getting to the new thread is, indeed, an accomplishment and shows a real level of commitment. I love this: Kinda cool that I'm more excited by behavioural change than numbers.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Good morning! I had a hard day yesterday - ice cream after breakfast!!, pulled it together and was back in control. I was planning to have dinner out with a friend and she pushed it later and later and finally cancelled at 8:30. By then I just wasn't hungry anymore so I skipped dinner. At 10 I really regretted it...so I was glad that I had OH WELL to fall back on!!

So I am planning to have that dinner with her tonight. I am eating light so I will have more carbs/calories to play with tonight. So I am planning - credit!

Bill - Glad the negative turned into the positive!

ForMyGirls - credit for winning the back-and-forth with yourself!

Beverlyjoy - I saw that too. I have been "doing" Beck for a few months but I still need those reminders!

Gardenerjoy - You are inspiring...you have lost so much and are still on board with working it!!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Big credit. Today is ticker changing day and I do NOT have to move the ticker back up. I consider this a huge success after all the traveling I have done. I will have to lose two pounds a month to reach my goal in December. That is a reasonable rate.

Also, Happy Beck Birthday to me! I have been posting for three years as of today. I have maintained a 15 pound weight loss for those years which is a big deal. I believe I owe it all to continuing to check in even when I was way out of whack with my food. I have confidence that I have the skills to avoid the 200 pound mark again ( like I was in my twenties). I believe I can face my 50s with a greater peace with food.

Thanks to everybody for your help. Thanks for continuing to be honest even when you struggle. It helps me do the same.

Last edited by maryann; 08-01-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #9  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Just a quick, on break, flyby. Yesterday was not such a good day, however, giving myself credit for recognizing what was driving the craving bus. Sure I ate less than I normally would have on a day like that.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday. Will check in and read the earlier posts either at lunch time or after dinner tonight.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #10  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! I'm in Florida now and am wiped out after 3:30 alarm this morning. Stayed up late with pets, too. They hate to see the suitcase come out or I attribute things they do to my thinking they hate to see it out...

Packed dry cereal for bkfst in airport ...at both 530 and 930 am... i knewd I'd feel like I needed to buy a snack so the cereal was a good sub. panera salad for lunch as brother, sister and I planned our trip to Utah together in a few months.

Need to check in with personals on computer not tablet. But looks like credits abound all over this thread!!

Dinner will be out with folks...I can and will commit to choosing healthy.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #11  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food has been OP today, and so has exercise--we took two 20 minute walks around the building.

Yesterday, I was OP with food until after dinner, when I went and got an ice cream treat even though it wasn't on the plan and there wasn't room for it in my calorie range. As I was getting it, I shut off my brain which was telling me I didn't need to have that. I think I need to think about my response cards more and rework them to things I'm struggling with now, not the things I have down (even though I need to keep them in mind, too!)

Things are transitioning at our house now. We had to have our cat put down on Friday--it's hard not having an animal in the house and our situation is such that we won't be getting another pet. This has been very difficult.

I've spent this evening with DD--doing on-line and in-store shopping for her departure for college later this month. She's home another week and then goes to visit her grandparents for a week--and then she's off to college. I'm not one of those parents who is looking forward to an empty nest--and she's currently the only one at home. She's a joy to have around--I'm really going to miss her.

I am planning another vacation later this month--I'll be in CA when DD starts college. I'm spending two days with a long-time friend and then the rest of the trip I'll be with DS--and he is actively planning things for us to do together. (The Getty Center, sunset on the beach, night views of LA) Then we'll head down to San Diego for family time and my nephew's bar mitzvah.

I've gotten away from the habit of entering all my food into MFP the night before--I need to get back to that--and instead, I just want to go to bed! I seem to be burning my candle at both ends right now.

G'night all!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #12  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

The forest fires are reported at 44,000 acres. Two firefighters lost their lives last night. Don't know yet what happened. The smoke is blowing south of us, thankfully. Very dangerous for people with lung diseases.

Much better day today. I was able to quit pouting about what other people were eating and not feeling left out today. Makes for a much cheerier day all around. Credit for being aware of my thoughts.

Successful days all around.

BBE--Sounds like a productive day all around and some good food besides.

Formygirls--Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes I sound like a 2 yr old arguing with myself. There is no good reason except that "I WANT THAT"

Beth--It sounds like you stay pretty busy. Your trip sounds very exciting!

Nationalparker--Glad to hear you made it safely to Florida. Have a wonderful visit.

Beverlyjoy--Thank you for the posts. Things always make sense when we read it, it just needs a voice as big as our cravings.

Gardenerjoy and Sparks--OH WELL!!! What a wonderful phrase that is. It always reminds me of Dr. Phil's saying "IT IS WHAT IT IS."

Maryann--Yay on the 3 years and the ticker.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A guy who was supposed to come tack down the carpet on a staircase didn't show up. Yuck. I'll call today, again, to make an appointment, again. It's such a small job that it's difficult for a company to get excited about stopping by. My job is to avoid being angry or annoyed; that stuff leads to eating.

Eating at a pot luck before an evening meeting worked well, CREDIT moi. I avoided all the desserts by having one square of dark chocolate and some strawberries.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Current news is that the French are only eating half the baguettes of a couple decades ago. My reaction was to drool for a couple of baguettes to help make up the difference, LOL. Kudos for a positive attitude about recovery from some pounds - possibly cheese and baguette related.

Beverlyjoy – Thanks for the reminder to check whether it's really hunger.

maryann - Happy Beck Birthday, indeed. Neat that you credit checking in with your Coaches.

nationalparker – Welcome to Florida. Kudos for packing cereal to avoid the cinnabun-like smells from the airport coffee shops.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Sending supportive thoughts as you think of your cat who's crossed the bridge. Sounds like busy times.

sparks17 – Pulling up "OH WELL" at 10 pm instead of food is real Kudos stuff.

ForMyGirls - The Sabotaging Thought, "you're not the boss of me" is one that appeals to me - I hate being told what to do and am perfectly capable of getting confused and resisting letting me tell me what to do. The easiest way for me to skip drinking a bottle of Ribena is to fly to England - hasn't made it here yet. Am I missing something special? Congrats on that 2.4 pounds gone forever. And Super Kudos for "more excited by behavioural change than numbers."

Sue (Bunnababy) - Neat forward movement, "I was able to quit pouting about what other people were eating" - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Slow Down
Practice the following strategies until you naturally eat more slowly. . . .
Take sips of water after every few bites. While water doesn't offer any magical weight-loss power, drinking between mouthfuls of food does slow down your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A quick check in...internet not cooperative these days. I'm still fighting a cold/spider bite yet need to move forward at a pace which doesn't overwhelm yet still produces some results. Food choices/planning have not been stellar yet I've still been making an effort. Yesterday's credits....OP choices, resistance of junk and an extra effort to make my favorite salad dressing so I could enjoy my salad with dinner.

BBE, I have made so much progress towards remaining calm when confronted with the "things I cannot change." The acceptance certainly leads to better food choices in my life, too. Kudos.

I'm off to the paint store (15 miles). Today is the day to repaint our deck despite my cold. I will pace myself.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #15  

Hello coaches,

Today was hard work. Lots of cravings. Not sure why - had a few late nights this week so could just be tiredness - or it being Friday night (traditional relax and eat time!) - or maybe just hitting the point in this process where resistance kicks in. I do feel like I am armed with infinitely more capacity to quash the cravings than I have in the past. So - lots of credits for staying OP despite cravings. Credit for really savouring the yoghurt snack I had planned for the evening (it was all of 75g but I still took about 15 mins to eat it!) Credit for taking time to come up with a great lunch plan for tomorrow that incorporates the scrummy tomato relish we bought at the markets last week.

I am also really excited to have gotten through this week on program. I have weekabout care of my kids and the historical pattern has usually been that I spend the week they aren't here getting on track and then it all falls apart the week they are here and I'm back to the beginning by the end of the week. So to have had a week with them here where I have eaten healthy everyday, meditated everyday and exercised everyday I intended to is a HUGE achievement.

Gardenerjoy - well done for taking such a decisive, but kind to yourself approach to getting back to maintenance weight

Sparks17 - well done for pulling it together and getting back on track

Maryann - Happy Beck Birthday to you! What a commitment to keep checking in and keep those 15 pounds off for all that time.

Bunnababy - well done for working out the source of the cravings. You are so right on about the 2 year old thing.

National Parker - LOL on the transference of separation anxiety onto your pets. Have you ever seen a movie called Peter's Friends? There is a great scene early on where Emma Thompson's character is saying goodbye to her cats - she is all concerned about if they're OK and they are oblivious to it all!

Beth - smart-thinking to revisit the response cards. Hope you get through your daughter's departure OK.

BBE - well done for realising that getting angry and annoyed is just one of the available (and less helpful) responses to your situation. And no - you're not missing much with Ribena - it's just blackcurrant cordial, nice blackcurrant cordial but how great can cordial be? I think that something that is working for me is knowing that there are opportunities for treat food - so when faced with the Ribena I can recognise that if I choose to drink it it means I have to wait longer before I can have something really, really yummy - and when it is phrased like that it is so not worth the price.

Happy weekend everyone.
Closed Thread