UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #1  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Wink You have expanded my cultural horizons

I'm from NY, but I've always been a bit of an anglophile. From Roald Dahl,to AbFab, to more British name drops than anyone would care to read--I'm a fan. And I'd love to visit, but thanks to grad school I'll be far too broke to even leave my neighborhood for at least a year.

So I've been reading through this forum to satisfy my taste for all things British. From references to it, I ended up craving beans on toast. I'd never heard of it, let alone had it, but I had to give it a go. I bought the imported Heinz ones (at $2, a splurge on my budget), threw it on some whole grain toast with some Irish butter (another splurge, no wonder I'm broke), and I loved it! Simple, tasty, and filling. I had a feeling I'd like it because I love beans. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the new nom noms!

~ Crispy
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Oh man, I haven't had beans on toast in ages, I wish my diet would allow for it! Didn't know it was such a British thing! It's extra good with a bit of grated cheese on top too
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Ha-ha! I'm an Anglophile too! Been lurking in this forum on occasion to get my Anglo-fix. My sons ate beans on toast when we went to the UK years ago and they count it as one of their favorite comfort foods. My oldest even loves haggis, and we have fish-n-chips with a bit of vinegar as much as possible. I have had some wonderful food in the UK. Best Indian curries, had wonderful oysters in Edinburgh, and shopping at Harrod's food market is like Willie Wonka's for grown ups!

Check out Professor Elemental's "I'm British" on YouTube. http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=FkF_XpA5P48. I love him!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #4  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Leaves - Ooh, cheese sounds good! Any particular type you rec?

geo - Ha! "If I'm nice, it's probably sarcastic." Your oldest son is brave, not sure I could do haggis if given the chance. I want to visit the UK so badly but that probably won't happen for years. *First world problems* Did any spots surprise, ones that you weren't expecting to like as much as you did?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Heinz Curry Beans, anyone had them? I bought a can (made in England) in a little global gourmet shop, and haven't tried them yet.

I'll try just about anything that isn't an insect, so I'm surprised that I'm intimidated by a little can of beans.

Oh, and I wanted to ask, I know beans and curry are common in Britain, but how common is combining the two? And are they usually eaten hot, cold, over toast, potato or rice, alone or as a side to sausage?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

crispin- can't beat a good bit of mature cheddar!

kaplods- er, don't think i've ever had a baked bean curry! not a common thing, but it probably exists somewhere. I think the curry beans are just a new marketing ploy from Heinz to be honest! I would eat both hot, curry usually with rice and naan breads though some eat it with chips (generally a more fast food/takeaway style thing though) Beans are good on toast, or over a jacket potato with some strong cheese or tuna if you eat fish. As a child we often had sausage or eggs, chips and beans for dinner but I don't have it anymore now i'm grown up maybe I should for old times sake! haha
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post
crispin- can't beat a good bit of mature cheddar!

kaplods- er, don't think i've ever had a baked bean curry! not a common thing, but it probably exists somewhere. I think the curry beans are just a new marketing ploy from Heinz to be honest! I would eat both hot, curry usually with rice and naan breads though some eat it with chips (generally a more fast food/takeaway style thing though) Beans are good on toast, or over a jacket potato with some strong cheese or tuna if you eat fish. As a child we often had sausage or eggs, chips and beans for dinner but I don't have it anymore now i'm grown up maybe I should for old times sake! haha
Thanks, yeah I figured it was a novelty item more than anything. I have eaten beans and bean pastes on toast. Beans (usually in some king of tomato sauce) are common in the USA, especially with sausages, ham, burgers... but the curry threw me.

I miss Naan and good curry (no Indian restaurants or grocery stores nearby - they're more common in larger cities and near universities. I had curry fries (chips) once at Maggy Miley's in Bloomington, Illinois. The restaurant claims to be an "authentic" Irish pub.

I would be in huge trouble if I still lived there (now I only visit a few times a year). When we visit, we always do stop for classic Indian (I can't eat Naan anymore because I'm allergic to wheat, but there are similar nonwheat breads on the menu), but I've stayed away from Maggy Miley's because I know I wouldn't stop at a reasonable portion.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispin View Post
Did any spots surprise, ones that you weren't expecting to like as much as you did?
I didn't expect to love London so much, enough to visit again and again and again. I was there a year ago and I miss it terribly! I regret not doing things, like going to Borough Market, being such a foodie.

I loved Oxford and York, Edinburgh and Glasgow, all beautiful cities. I regret not going to Wales yet. Or visiting the Lakes region. I really enjoyed taking the train along the east coast from London to Edinburgh, seeing fields of mustard and the ocean along the way. Still so much to see and do!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #9  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Geo - Thank you for that! Travel talk soothes and invigorates me like poetry. I hadn't even heard of Borough Market (shameful! ).

Leaves - Yummy, I love cheddar. It's only now occurring to me how similar beans on toast is to a bean burrito conceptually, of which I've eaten probably hundreds.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

This is a good post

Beans and cheese on toast was one of my favourite meals ever!! I also love fried eggs and beans on toast. Cheese and beans on a baked potato. And one of my favourites that i loved as a kid, chips, sausage, egg and beans. Nostalgia beyond believe with that one. And The Lake District in Cumbria is my favourite place in the UK. The scenery is awesome and it is so good for walks. I live in the west midlands and there are some good places near here too. You have Ironbridge, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Bridgenorth and a whole load of other great places to visit. I have never been to Scotland and i would love to go one day. Wales is beautiful too, i had an Aunty who lived in North Wales and i loved going for holidays. Good post for the nostalgia this

Sam xxx

Last edited by BuffyInSunnydale; 06-04-2013 at 04:25 AM.
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #11  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Buffy, that was lovely! Travel talk really does make me so happy.

Glad this thread gave you a chance to reminisce. My next meal Brit style will be beans on a baked potato with some cheddar. Reminds me of a more healthy chilli cheese fries, one of my favorite foods.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #12  
*Shakes fist at regain*

I finally ate my first jacket potato topped with brit style beans and cheddar. Really good!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 169/164/160 lbs

I probably qualify as an anglophile too. I married a British man, and I read British authors all the time. I am here largely out of curiosity though, because I want to find out what are the "weight and food issues unique to the UK." Can anybody tell me?
Creativian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/slim

Height: 5ft 6

Beans and cheese on anything... toast, jacket potato, chips mmmm. Also beans and egg too, on toast or chips.

I sometimes like to do cheese on toast with beans on top.. 'cheans on toast'
3CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #15  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Scale showed a 1lb drop this morning. I'm the lowest I've been since last December, yay! And that drop occurred during a week when I had two jacket potatoes with beans. I rarely eat white potatoes cuz, you know, CARBS!!, so I was a little apprehensive. Turns out that was needless worry. Which is great news b/c I'd like to have more of these.