Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #1  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Question Okra Chips: How Can I Eat These?

I found a wonderful product at my supermarket the other day. "Okra Chips" by Creative Snack Co. I know okra is an allowed vegetable, so that is good, but, due to the fat content, I am unsure of how to work them into P1.

The ingredients are: okra, canola oil, dexetrin, and sea salt, so I think I am okay there. The nutritional value, though, is 130 cals and 25 cals from fat for 1 cup. The nutritional value of plain okra is 52 cals per cup, so that gives you an idea of the fat content.

Do you all think I could occasionally have these as my vegetable if I also counted it as my 2 tsp of oil for the day? I believe 2 tsp of olive oil contains 80 cals from fat. Perhaps substituting 1 cup of these okra chips for the usual 2 cups?

I had them as my veggie the other day, but deep down, I know they are not a true veggie (as needed for P1) because of the extra fat. They were wonderful, though, and would like to work them in as an occasional item. What are your thoughts? TIA.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
I found a wonderful product at my supermarket the other day. "Okra Chips" by Creative Snack Co. I know okra is an allowed vegetable, so that is good, but, due to the fat content, I am unsure of how to work them into P1.

The ingredients are: okra, canola oil, dexetrin, and sea salt, so I think I am okay there. The nutritional value, though, is 130 cals and 25 cals from fat for 1 cup. The nutritional value of plain okra is 52 cals per cup, so that gives you an idea of the fat content.

Do you all think I could occasionally have these as my vegetable if I also counted it as my 2 tsp of oil for the day? I believe 2 tsp of olive oil contains 80 cals from fat. Perhaps substituting 1 cup of these okra chips for the usual 2 cups?

I had them as my veggie the other day, but deep down, I know they are not a true veggie (as needed for P1) because of the extra fat. They were wonderful, though, and would like to work them in as an occasional item. What are your thoughts? TIA.
Wouldn't be worth it to me...investment of time money and self after a few days was not something I was willing to compromise. Others have said..once we begin adding off-plan things occasionally...it sets the tone that staying on plan "doesn't matter." That is not the same as substituting an approx 100 -130 calorie "go-to-meal" like an egg white omlette or a lettuce salad with 2-3 oz chicken breast, shrimp or tuna if we are caught out in an emergency and no food packet available..or the social pressure is just overwhelming. Those things are reality...going off the rails when having to accommodate one of those times is fantasy if you choose to do it and try to justify it.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #3  
Started IP 2/13/13

I have been 100% on program since I began IP in February and have not knowingly cheated even once. I wasn't trying to "justify" anything, just wondering if there was a way to make this on-program by eating it in the right way (aka to include the daily fat requirement).
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #4  

I'd say if you want okra chips, make your own (google will have recipes)

That way you'll know how many you start with raw & how much it shrinks down to. And the ingredients will be OP

I made them once and 2 c. okra made such a ridiculously small amt of chips that it was NOT worth it
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I have been 100% on program since I began IP in February and have not knowingly cheated even once. I wasn't trying to "justify" anything, just wondering if there was a way to make this on-program by eating it in the right way (aka to include the daily fat requirement).
Wow. 65 has always been super supportive and helpful to everyone here, and I honestly do not think she was accusing you of trying to "justify" anything. I'm sorry you did not like the wording of her answer. You asked a question.

If this is something you think you may want to try, perhaps try making something similar yourself by putting okra sprinkled with salt on a baking sheet and bake them on a low temp until crispy. That way you can control the ingredients. Some people have tried this in a dehydrator but I have not done this.
Princess Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #6  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peacock View Post
Wow. 65 has always been super supportive and helpful to everyone here, and I honestly do not think she was accusing you of trying to "justify" anything. I'm sorry you did not like the wording of her answer. You asked a question.

If this is something you think you may want to try, perhaps try making something similar yourself by putting okra sprinkled with salt on a baking sheet and bake them on a low temp until crispy. That way you can control the ingredients. Some people have tried this in a dehydrator but I have not done this.
I'm sorry if you construed my response to someone else incorrectly. I was only trying to clarify my question so as not to turn this thread into a debate on whether to "cheat" or not. I have been around here quite some time and dare say I am not known for flaming anyone. I have communicated with 65x65, as well as many others in this forum many times before, and believe I have a good relationship with all.

Lisa -- I can imagine how little food that would make, and I'm a gal who likes her quantity. That is what is so interesting about these "chips." They are the whole okra, puffy and intact, just minus the water. They can't be dehydrated, though, because they are not shrunken. Maybe deep-fried? Oh, I hope not. They are crunchy and light. So, you think the fat content is just too high to make it up with the daily olive oil requirement??
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #7  

My guess is that they are fried, based on fat content

What is it they say? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-05-2013 at 04:27 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #8  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
My guess is that they are fried, based on fat content

What is it they say? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is

Bummer.

Well, I can tell you this . . . these will be my "potato chips" when I am in maintenance. Same sensation, so much more nutrition . . . Protein, too, as the seeds are still inside.

Thanks.

Last edited by SylviesGirl; 08-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #9  

You will need to decide for you.. For me.. The answer is clearly "no.." I am way too afraid of what my body would do with "that kind of fat". Processed foods usually don't use mono saturated healthy fat... And there is really no way even if they might have, to truly measure what that % equals as a liquid volume. The fat in our daily allotment on IP is not so we can have fat just to have it...it is required to make sure the vitamins we take are able to become soluble for proper absorption. If we have none of that good fat included in our diet to facilitate supplement absorption....we just pee out those supplements...and everyone knows that's not desirable for our overall health..we are on a thin line getting all the basic nutrients in since this is so low cal. Have been on this just a little longer than you... And I'm getting weary of the drill too...!! I'd love a p-nut butter cup to be honest.. And had a food dream recently about that.

But my personal thought process is singular...just have not come this far to compromise on something insignificant. Much easier for me to simply not mess with what us known to work. It is just not for me...I know others here who are also not willing to do any thing --- even small things---that changes the chemistry or mental mindset either. It wasn't easy for some of us to arrive here.

No, I don't feel deprived..Yes... I feel I deserve some rewards because I'm nearly at goal. {but I want clothes.... (lots of new ones.. I get dressed up to go to the drug store these days....and love it) want to plan travel and go to fun places and a lot more years on this earth to enjoy my friends and family. All a fair trade off for me.} Knowing that's around the corner gives me a reality check that makes sense, so no Reese's cups on my grocery list ... And not planning to add them down the road either. Your management of IP has to satisfy you, and not anyone else but your opinion counts and may help someone else. I just can't relate to it after all these months.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I know the okra chips you're talking about, and sadly they are deep fried. I don't see any way to make them legal as they're more similar to a potato chips or onion rings than to a vegetable.

There are similar fried green beans and they're just as tasty and just as impossible to make legal.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peacock View Post

Again my apologies for coming off as stringent.. I set the bar high for myself for just about everything.. .. My kids called me out many times (type A on steroids I believe was the exact wording)

I care very much that anyone who has also put SO much time and commitment could be setting up for moving a hurdle in their way.. ESP if its one they already have behind them.

With that bar being high...and that being said....I expect the rest of you to save me from myself if I start to wobble. Please! Smack me with whatever words necessary back to my senses!!! You have my plea!!!! That's why I come here.. There are voices of reason if I lose my self conviction. We can't all cave at the same time!!

Last edited by 65X65; 08-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #12  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I'd never heard of these, and while googling I found the nutritional info for them at fatsecret.com - imo they are heavier in carbs than what I would want. The link is below:
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...chips?frc=True
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #13  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I know the okra chips you're talking about, and sadly they are deep fried. I don't see any way to make them legal as they're more similar to a potato chips or onion rings than to a vegetable.

There are similar fried green beans and they're just as tasty and just as impossible to make legal.

Yep, those are them! I saw the green beans, too, but I know green beans are not allowed, so I didn't even consider them.

Well, if they won't work, they won't work. Too bad, though, as I really miss something of that texture and okra is such a nutrition powerhouse (though probably not if they are deep fried!).

I am about as single-minded about keeping OP as they come. Somehow, I thought that these might be able to be worked into being legal. If they can't, they can't. Ain't nothing worth trading all the progress I've made, that is for sure.

65x65 -- "I get dressed up to go to the grocery store these days." LOL I can relate! I had a rare day out with my husband alone on Friday (God bless you, boy scout camp!), and I tossed and turned all night, trying to decide what I was going to wear! To think of how little I used to put into my appearance, because nothing ever looked good and I never felt good anyway. There is no food worth trading that in this world!

Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #14  

Quote:
Yep, those are them! I saw the green beans, too, but I know green beans are not allowed, so I didn't even consider them.

Well, if they won't work, they won't work. Too bad, though, as I really miss something of that texture and okra is such a nutrition powerhouse (though probably not if they are deep fried!).

I am about as single-minded about keeping OP as they come. Somehow, I thought that these might be able to be worked into being legal. If they can't, they can't. Ain't nothing worth trading all the progress I've made, that is for sure.

65x65 -- "I get dressed up to go to the grocery store these days." LOL I can relate! I had a rare day out with my husband alone on Friday (God bless you, boy scout camp!), and I tossed and turned all night, trying to decide what I was going to wear! To think of how little I used to put into my appearance, because nothing ever looked good and I never felt good anyway. There is no food worth trading that in this world!

Thanks, everyone!
You owe me one now.. Every day is a new battle you may need to fish me out if the water on any given day.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #15  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I'd never heard of these, and while googling I found the nutritional info for them at fatsecret.com - imo they are heavier in carbs than what I would want. The link is below:
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...chips?frc=True

You know, I never even really concerned myself with the carb content, because the only ingredient that they can come from is the okra and okra is allowed on P1. I see what you mean, though. -sigh- I guess that's why, as I ate them, my guilt-radar pinged.

Pssst . . .The other reason is that I am just now starting to need reader glasses and am still in a bit of denial about it. . . the nutritional info was too small for me to completely decipher in the store. Had I had my glasses, they would have probably never came home with me. Lesson learned. Lots of lessons learned. (me = from now on)