Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/180/135

Height: 5'2

Default Coconut Flour

Hi,
Anyone know where to find Keto friendly coconut flour based recipes? I discovered the flour when I was actually trying to find Almond flours for Caveman Keto's Almond Buns. I couldn't find it, but instead I found coconut flour.

I haven't had too much luck in finding recipes that didn't involve adding a ton of sugar. I'm also not sure what the properties of the coconut flour is, so I'm afraid to just start making things.

Thanks
Tofu Sprinkles
TofuSprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 162 / 151 / 135

Height: 5"6'

Breakfast: paleomg.com/hearty-banana-granola-pancakes/
Desert: paleomg.com/banana-bread-3-ways/
A not so terrible cheat: paleomg.com/chocolate-strawberry-donuts/
Something savory: paleomg.com/shrimp-and-jalapeno-sweet-potato-biscuits/
More savory: paleomg.com/cilantro-chicken-nuggets/

If you're wondering, I have nothing to do with the content on the site. I'm actually just a big fan of the recipes on there =) Hope you like one of those or find something else on there you like!
PaleoPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I use coconut flour a lot for baking; keep in mind that you will need to use a larger amount of liquid than you would need if using using wheat flour. As for almond flour - make your own in a food processor or grinder. It's really easy and a lot less expensive than buying it already ground.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/180/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedbluejeans View Post
I use coconut flour a lot for baking; keep in mind that you will need to use a larger amount of liquid than you would need if using using wheat flour. As for almond flour - make your own in a food processor or grinder. It's really easy and a lot less expensive than buying it already ground.
Ah! I wish I read this before I got the tiny bag for 10 dollars. I was a bit desperate last night at the store. But next time when we need to replenish, will definitely try to make our own! Bulk Almonds are way cheaper than this tiny bag of almond flour :/
TofuSprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Coconut flour is super dense, and can be a bit moody. Make sure you sift it. Google recipes, as a little goes a long way and issues lots of eggs!
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use coconut flour recipes and replace the sugar with lower carb sweeteners like Splenda and xylitol. Sometimes one or the other, but usually half of each.

I checked out a bunch of coconut flour cookbooks from the library. Cooking with Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife was very helpful, because it gave a lot of info on the properties of coconut flour.

There are also a lot of low-carb coconut flour books on amazon, both in print and on kindle. Many can be ordered through your local library.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #7  

I often cook with coconut flour, I like like the taste though there's not a big difference with a regular one. By the way if you've never cooked with it, keep in mind that it's very moisture absorbent, so you should replace only part of coconut flour in a standard recipe,
Starwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #8  

I've never had any luck with using any proportion of coconut flour in a standard recipe. Even replacing only 1/4 coconut flour threw the whole recipe off.

I had far more luck using recipes designed specifically using coconut flour. Eventually, I used enough recipes to feel comfortable experimenting with standard recipes and my own concoctions, but even using 1/4 coconut flour, I've found it necessary to add extra liquid. And I've found that just adding extra liquid isn't always enough. If you want a baked product to hold together and not crumble apart, some or all of the extra liquid needs to be a binding protein like eggs.

That's why so many coconut flour recipes call for so many eggs. It's not just for low carb's sake, even the recipes using sugar will often call for 4-6 eggs where the standard recipe using wheat flour may call for 0-1 egg.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I have tried some coconut flour recipes from low carb sites and find low carb sweeteners work fine. But the problem is the huge amount of eggs called for. Everything I made tasted like strangely flavored scrambled eggs not matter what the recipe name claimed it was.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I have tried some coconut flour recipes from low carb sites and find low carb sweeteners work fine. But the problem is the huge amount of eggs called for. Everything I made tasted like strangely flavored scrambled eggs not matter what the recipe name claimed it was.
Yeah, that can be a problem. Banana bread with REALLY ripe bananas will usually cover the "eggy" flavor.

Also, using 2 egg whites in place of every whole egg can help, but if you have no use for just the yolks, that means a lot of egg yolks get wasted.

Another option is chia seed or flaxseed gel (soak chia or flax seed in water for several hours or overnight and it makes a thick gel that can be used as an egg or fat replacer in baked goods).

Unfortunately, some people like the nutty flavor the gel imparts and some don't, and some like the taste of one and not the other, so if you don't like one, you may like the other.

I believe there are other mucilaginous seeds as well (those that turn into a slippery, egg white like gel n water).